VOGONS

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For this week's build I thought I'd spice things up a bit instead of doing another "insert year here" build like I've done the last few weeks. I dug through "Mt. Retro" in my basement and uncovered two brand new, never been touched Asus P3B-F motherboards still in their original boxes. Now I know I've already done a build based on the mighty Intel 440BX chipset, but letting a board of this caliber just sit there unused is a travesty IMO!

On to the processor... My 1998 box used a slot 1 PII-450 and I do have a PIII-450 slot 1 I could throw in there but... bah... too boring and not different enough for this one. And then I unearthed an awesome little piece of hardware - an Asus S370-DL slotket that I picked up in a rummage sale last year, still in its original box! Discovering this little guy now opened up some more possibilties for processor choices since I now could use a socket 370/FC-PGA chip! I opened up my box of processors and saw one Pentium III that I completely forgot about - a pin-modded Tualatin 1.4 Ghz-S chip that I picked up off eBay over a year ago....

The processor can be used in the slotket (when set to use the default CPU voltage), and using a combination of the latest Asus P3B-F BETA Bios and a little FSB bump to 133, this puppy should (according to others) work just fine. The issue is that the FSB overclock pushes the AGP bus speed to 89Mhz as a result of a 2/3 divider - a speed that not all graphics cards can hang with - including my own it seems.

I tried a Ti4200 and then a PNY Ti4600 to really max it out (and just look at that color!!!), but at 1400Mhz/133/33.25 the system is unstable and randomly locks up during 3D benchmarking. It does seem stable at 1300Mhz/124.0/31.00. I swapped out my generic 256MB PC133 DIMM for a Crucial 128MB PC133 DIMM but I still observed the same behavior at 133Mhz FSB so for now I'll leave it a 1.3Ghz with the FSB @ 124Mhz while underclocking the PCI bus a bit at 31Mhz.

Since my stash of IDE drives is getting low, I thought I'd throw in a PCI SATA controller, hooking it up to a 2.5" 7200 RPM SATA drive to maximize performance. I could NOT get the system stable with this thing, observing random lockups and other odd issues (drive itself is fine). I don't know why it didn't work - the PCI bus speed remained 33Mhz while pushing 1400Mhz - but I ended up throwing in a 250GB Western Digital IDE drive instead and it worked fine attached to the board's native controller.

The fan on my existing S370 CPU cooler was making a god-awful noise, so I picked up a Startech 1U CPU cooler and WOW - what a difference, both in performance and WEIGHT. This thing is a heavy SOB but dropped temps pretty dramatically - my only complaint is that it's a little loud, but totally tolerable.

Couple of other weird things...

1) Despite being a Pentium III, the post screen still shows Pentium II
2) It sometimes boots up at 700Mhz and takes one additional reboot to run at 1400Mhz.

n7AFo0.jpg

Case: Enlight Enlight EN-7237 (4-Bay)
Power Supply: Corsair CX430M partially modular PSU
Motherboard: Motherboard - Asus P3B-F (Intel 440BX) Rev. 1.04 using 1008 BETA 004 BIOS (1999)
Processor: Intel Pentium III-S 1.4Ghz 1400-512-133 FCPGA2 Socket 370 (Tualatin) (SL5XL) (Pin-Modded) (2002)
Cooling: StarTech FAN3701U 60mm Ball CPU Cooler Fan w/ Copper Heatsink & TX3

Network: 3Com 3C905B-TX

Storage:
Western Digital 250GB 7200 RPM IDE
3.5" Floppy Drive
DVD-ROM SD-M1502

Memory:
1x256MB PC133 6NS 3.3V NON ECC SDRAM

Audio:
Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold ISA

Video:
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4600 - PNY VCGF4TI46PB 128MB AGP (NV25) (2002)

Onto the hardware Pr0n!

The guts...

9VTgqM.jpg
GP7G9j.jpg

The case..

1QM8yW.jpg
z9NB8T.jpg

Pin-modded Tully!

ZnDYUb.jpg
LSOxM6.jpg

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4600 - PNY VCGF4TI46PB 128MB AGP (NV25) (2002)
gvR13N.jpg
pVTg5Q.png

Temps

QjmV43.png

3DMark 2001 SE @ 1.3Ghz

NZ22Uh.png

Benchies @ 1.4Ghz

LLA2fe.png

CPU-Z @ 1.3 and 1.4Ghz

lRRMAt.png6ASbCt.pngYoVCeE.png

Asus P3B-F Motherboard

r6MTN7.jpg
2FOb0C.jpg
pAMPOe.jpg

Asus Slocket

Zs8e1q.jpg
4Nbe6X.jpg
Ui9NWt.jpg

Beefy Cooler

4iXQHS.jpg
AUIEW4.jpg
tHJEZt.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 1 of 25, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome machine you built there! The P3B-F must be the best 440BX board ever designed. I'm thinking of revising my 440BX machine and rebuilding it around the P3B-F, too, but that single ISA slot is the only thing holding me back.

Did you have to use a modified BIOS to support the Tualatin? You can find one here with the required microcode updates, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

Which OS do you plan to run on this?

Reply 2 of 25, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks! I did run that modded BIOS but it still shows as a Pentium II at post. I'm running Windows 98 SE.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3 of 25, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might have better luck with an Upgradeware Slot-T adapter and a vanilla unmodded PIII-S, or maybe even a lin-lin on the Asus slotket. I doubt those Korean sellers actually test those CPUs, rather, they probably just mod them and advertise them as such. If you really want to know if it's the videocard or not, run a PCI videocard and test it again for stability. PCI has a 1/4 divider (Of course you're aware that the PCI is slightly underclocked at 31MHZ at 124Mhz FSB).

The Enlight 7237 is an excellent case. I have mine for my main work computer, with an Asus P5B and a Xeon 5430 (Quad Core, 12MB cache). P5B/965P Chipset can overclock to 1333 FSB (333MHZ), but the northbridge gets too hot for my liking at that speed, so the chip is running at 2.13Ghz (1066 FSB/266MHZ).

Reply 4 of 25, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote:

lin-lin on the Asus slotket.

??

I've read that a lot of people disable AGP sideband addressing (and possibly AGP fastwrites) in an effort to stabilize these cards (with much success) on an 89Mhz FSB using tools like RivaTuner and PowerStrip. I've tried both on this system and when I attempt to disable one, the other, or both through the GUI, the system hard-locks - even when slowed down to 100Mhz FSB.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 5 of 25, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I would lean towards a Intel 800 series chipset board with official 133 FSB support. Not a big fan of overclocking these old boards.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 25, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Personally I would lean towards a Intel 800 series chipset board with official 133 FSB support. Not a big fan of overclocking these old boards.

Howdy Phil -

Typically I would, but for this little project I wanted to push the 440BX chipset as far as I could - especially since others have done it (while retaining an ISA slot). I still may build a 'real' Tualatin i815EP system since I have an un-modded Tualatin FCPGA2 chip and TUSL2 board sitting here.

Last edited by Artex on 2015-11-30, 17:13. Edited 1 time in total.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 7 of 25, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice Artex 😀 after seeing your last build and now this one, I started looking for the same case but can't find one down here in Australia anywhere unfortunately. I did find one overseas with the 2 USB ports at the bottom but the postage costs are generally too high to get cases shipped international. Obviously due to weight of course.

Awesome 3DMark score as well. What DirectX + Nvidia driver package are you using?

Reply 8 of 25, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
borgie83 wrote:

Very nice Artex 😀 after seeing your last build and now this one, I started looking for the same case but can't find one down here in Australia anywhere unfortunately. I did find one overseas with the 2 USB ports at the bottom but the postage costs are generally too high to get cases shipped international. Obviously due to weight of course.

Awesome 3DMark score as well. What DirectX + Nvidia driver package are you using?

Thanks! I'm running out of these tower cases now as well. I think I have 6 in use. 😀

I'm running 28.32s with DirectX 8.1.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9 of 25, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:
mockingbird wrote:

??

I've read that a lot of people disable AGP sideband addressing (and possibly AGP fastwrites) in an effort to stabilize these cards (with much success) on an 89Mhz FSB using tools like RivaTuner and PowerStrip. I've tried both on this system and when I attempt to disable one, the other, or both through the GUI, the system hard-locks - even when slowed down to 100Mhz FSB.

Lin-Lin Adapter

What I'm saying is you should eliminate the actual CPU as the problem. The videocard itself may very well be able to handle the 89mhz.

Reply 10 of 25, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote:
Artex wrote:
mockingbird wrote:

??

Lin-Lin Adapter

What I'm saying is you should eliminate the actual CPU as the problem. The videocard itself may very well be able to handle the 89mhz.

Got it - I never heard of that one. Interesting! So instead of modding the chip, you just drop a 'real' Tualatin into this adapter which sits on the FC-PGA socket?

If I can find either of these for cheap, I'd be happy to try my 'real' Tualatin in this board and see if I have the same issue.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 12 of 25, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im pretty sure the CPU is not the issue.

I have a Aopen AX6BC slot1 BX board with PCI/4 but only 2/3 AGP and I had huge issues geting that board stable at 133 MHz FSB.
In the end the only video cards that were 100% stable at 89 MHz AGP in all games and benchmarks were Geforce4 MX cards.
The same board with the same CPU and memory would run 153 MHz FSB all day with a PCI video card.

Many cards did run the benchmarks and most games OK but would freeze in S.W Rogue Squadron.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 13 of 25, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Im pretty sure the CPU is not the issue.

I agree.

Have the same system with the same modded CPU from Korea. Most likely the video card which is messing up. Try a PCI one to see if the problems go away (I'm sure you have some Voodoo5 PCI cards laying around 😉 )

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 15 of 25, by tyuper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There might be two issues to check:
- motherboard can't cope with increased amperage while Ti4600 or Ti4200 (which are powered from AGP port) is in the AGP port.
- Tualatin-mod isn't done correctly, CPU can have voltage fluctuations on AK4 (PWR_GD pin) <-> AN11 (VTT voltage pin) connection, which causes system freezing. Needed: Pictures of your completed Tualatin mods

My Abit BX133-RAID with pinmodded Pentium III-S 1.4 and MSI FX5900XT is perfectly stable under any benchmark and 3D game.

Reply 16 of 25, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tyuper wrote:
There might be two issues to check: - motherboard can't cope with increased amperage while Ti4600 or Ti4200 (which are powered f […]
Show full quote

There might be two issues to check:
- motherboard can't cope with increased amperage while Ti4600 or Ti4200 (which are powered from AGP port) is in the AGP port.
- Tualatin-mod isn't done correctly, CPU can have voltage fluctuations on AK4 (PWR_GD pin) <-> AN11 (VTT voltage pin) connection, which causes system freezing. Needed: Pictures of your completed Tualatin mods

My Abit BX133-RAID with pinmodded Pentium III-S 1.4 and MSI FX5900XT is perfectly stable under any benchmark and 3D game.

Not sure if I follow. What do I need to check to validate both of these checks? Also interesting that you and Vetz are both using a 5000 series card without issue. Maybe these are less sensitive?

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 18 of 25, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just wondering, how does the 1.4Ghz Tualatin compare to an Athlon 1400? obviously its also up to whether a game uses SSE/3DNow, chipset , etc. But given similar components, how would it compare?

Im guessing the Tualatin runs much cooler, thats probably a given.

Reply 19 of 25, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kokornov wrote:

You can try to use modded BIOS for P3B-F (ver NOA) for correct CPU detection: http://www.rom.by/files/P3BF_Noa.BIN

Do you have a readme or any additional info about this BIOS?

LihnlZ.jpg