VOGONS

Crusty Desktop AT Pentium

Topic actions

First post, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After upgrades etc I've got enough spare parts to make a nice P233 MMX system, so I thought I may as well put one together and possibly sell it on after having a play with it. I was missing a case and motherboard but then this candidate came along:

6ufntYtl.jpg
bL4Ml2kl.jpg
6AZU8g7l.jpg

VX chipset isn't my favourite but it should make for a straightforward build at least. Likely spec as follows:

P233 MMX
32MB
STB Nitro 3D
Orchid Righteous 3D
YMF-718 with XR385
3Com 3C905A
TEAC 4x CDROM
3.5 Floppy
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 13GB 7200rpm
PS/2 header connected
USB header connected (maybe, not sure whether it works on VX)

Reply 1 of 34, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why the 4x CD drive ? Much faster ones were around in '96-97. Is it extremely quiet or compatible...?

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 3 of 34, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never liked high speed CDROM drives. They lag when they need to spin up for every access, and they shake and make noise for no good reason. The way they run annoys me, it's like revving up a dragster to go across a parking lot.
4X-6X drives were perfect IMO. Smoother and more immediately responsive.

Reply 4 of 34, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Nifty project bjt, never seen an AT desktop case with a sleep button before. Is that a golf ball being used as a power button?

I'm not bothered by noisy computer components (CD/DVD-ROM drives, hard drives, case fans), I actually expect them to be. But if others prefer them to be quiet, that's fine.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 34, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would love someone to fill one of those huge cases with like ten 5.25 bays up with nothing but Bigfoots in a Raid and Delta 80mm case fans. Can you imagine the power consumption and noise level?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 34, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had on of those cases with the golf ball at one stage, and it had a 4X mitsumi in it. I agree with the drive speed thing, most faster drives are too loud / slow to spin up. That 4X mitsumi is still going though after all these years.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I generally stay away from clv drives (anything over 8x) with the exception of my plextor 32x caddy loader, which is somehow quiet.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 34, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 4 ISA slots and the soundcard choice have my seal of approval!!

Actually, i would recommend you to install the WIN 3.1 driver for the YMF-718 card. It brings a more recent DOS driver.

I suppose the standard DOS driver is version 2.09 and the one that comes for WIN3.1 is 2.11. I used to complain about these drivers but...not anymore! 😎

Reply 9 of 34, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can slow faster cd\dvd drives down in dos with this TSR.

Also that case doesn't look that crusty!

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2015-08-13, 04:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 34, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And so it begins... been doing some digging about this board.
It was manufactured by a (presumably now defunct) Taiwanese company called "Totem". http://web.archive.org/web/20000524111731/htt … om.tw/index.htm
Seems like it's not too bad specs-wise. 512KB cache so it will cache 64MB. The 1.4 bios seems to be the latest, released 97, so hopefully no problems with drives >8GB.

This build was supposed to be about using parts I already have, but have already ordered a few bits:
2x matching 32MB double-sided dimms
AT->PS2 keyboard adaptor
PS2 mouse header bracket

Will need a floppy drive as well, that should be it though.
Anybody know if USB works on VX/98SE well enough to use a USB stick? If so I'll try to install a bracket.

I do also have a nice NEC chipset USB 2.0 PCI card I could use, might work a lot better than the VX USB.

Reply 11 of 34, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can confirm that a Belkin NEC chipset usb 2.0 pci card will work with a TX chipset just fine. Not sure about the VX

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12 of 34, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VX's integrated USB has always been problematic for me.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 13 of 34, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can ways use a Gotek floppy and kill 2 birds with one stone. If your like me once networking is up I next to never use the FDD anyway.
Remember seeing a few golf ball cases when they were still new, but on towers, didn't like them at the time but think they are kinda cool now

Reply 15 of 34, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some good progress with this build.

Got to cleaning the case. This is a real finger-slicer 😵
D28FoNHl.jpg

The PSU is suprisingly dust-free but the insides don't inspire confidence and the fan is loud. I think I'll swap in a nicer ATX unit with a converter.
cGYqyU6l.jpg

Really pleased with the board, it's in great condition. It only supports 2.9V for MMX CPUs which is actually 0.1 higher than the P55C wants, no big deal. Replaced the dead CMOS battery.
zmxgcVul.jpg

Out with the old
Gqhnc7Jl.jpg

In with the new. Such a solid chip the P55C.
AkrBxjWl.jpg

Back together with a minimal setup for bench testing. New fan on the HSF.
xtM9aXDl.jpg

It lives! Nice to see the SDRAM is all recognised, as VX is infamous for only supporting low-density DIMMS. 64MB means that Win98SE is a real option for this machine.
AvuiYS4l.jpg

Next up - install a HDD and test the AWE32 I received yesterday.

Reply 16 of 34, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
bjt wrote:
Got to cleaning the case. This is a real finger-slicer :dead: http://i.imgur.com/D28FoNHl.jpg […]
Show full quote

Got to cleaning the case. This is a real finger-slicer 😵
D28FoNHl.jpg

Consider it a necessary blood sacrifice for what you want to achieve. The results will be worth it, though 😀

Out with the old http://i.imgur.com/Gqhnc7Jl.jpg […]
Show full quote

Out with the old
Gqhnc7Jl.jpg

In with the new. Such a solid chip the P55C.
AkrBxjWl.jpg

Agreed. P55C is a very consistent and dependable performer.

It lives! Nice to see the SDRAM is all recognised, as VX is infamous for only supporting low-density DIMMS. 64MB means that Win9 […]
Show full quote

It lives! Nice to see the SDRAM is all recognised, as VX is infamous for only supporting low-density DIMMS. 64MB means that Win98SE is a real option for this machine.
AvuiYS4l.jpg

Next up - install a HDD and test the AWE32 I received yesterday.

Great results so far. Keep moving forward - and your fingers crossed 😊

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 17 of 34, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Consider it a necessary blood sacrifice for what you want to achieve. The results will be worth it, though 😀

No blood has been spilled - yet! I think it's waiting for the right moment.

Originally I was just going to use a YMF718 card for audio, but I thought it would be nice to have a real SB16 as well for compatibility's sake. EMU8000 is nice to have too so I picked up this AWE32 CT3780. This one doesn't have CQM, memory slots or a wavetable header. I'm finding that AWE32s are much less common on UK eBay than AWE64's at the moment. Even AWE64 Gold are quite common.

cxna3xYl.jpg

Unfortunately, although the card was advertised as tested, the FM and AWE tests in diagnose.exe both produced static. I guess the seller just tested wave output in Windows. Inspecting the card showed up a few broken traces 😠

9rvflB3l.jpg

The larger broken trace on the right is a +ve supply voltage to the EMU8000 section of the board. The break on the left only affected one trace, a digital output from the EMU8000 to a DAC in the output stage. The larger break was fairly straightforward to bridge after scraping back the green coating to reveal fresh copper.

0rKxw4Vl.jpg

I wasn't confident of bridging the smaller break without damaging the surrounding traces so I decided to run a jumper wire between the two nearest vias, unfortunately this was quite a distance. I used epoxy to cover the vias and bond the jumper to the pcb after soldering.

M12l1qll.jpg

With these fixes FM and AWE output work again, which was a nice payoff. I'm still planning to run the YMF718 alongside to handle MIDI and the XR385.

Last edited by bjt on 2015-02-19, 11:50. Edited 1 time in total.