VOGONS

First post, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I recently acquired these 3 together in a private deal. And since I removed my Soyo P4 board for repairs (it's currently suffering from rotten cap syndrome), I needed something to take it's place for the time being 😊 . Fortunately I'm familiar with this S370 board - my uncle got a CUSL2/P3 1GHz back in 2001 to replace his Intel 440LX/Pentium Pro 200 PC and I helped him with assembly and configuration.

Here's the parts I used for this build (Warning! major picture overload ahead!):

ASUS CUSL2-C Socket 370 motherboard Revision 1.02 (Intel 815EP)

IMeSv2qh.png

The ASUS board was a bit dusty when I first got it, but a few minutes with an air can took care of that issue.

Intel Pentium 3 800EB CPU

DMWnZ5zh.png E76ghe4h.png
tagFkVth.png

The P3 CPU was already like this when I got it; luckily no heatsink paste got in the CPU socket or pins.

Intel Pentium 3 CPU Heatsink/Fan

bS4VJCOm.png keq0PYkm.png H9YdWVIm.png

The original CPU heatsink was also very dirty; a few minutes in the kitchen sink took care of that as well.

2 x 128mb PC133 memory DIMMS

9V8yQ0Jh.png ivlNeoch.png

I got these from the old Axion Technologies site back in 2001. Time to put them to good use.

3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16mb AGP

71NhtMbh.png qc8gTIih.png

This is a Dell-branded Voodoo 3 and was also a bit dusty. Once again the air can and a brush took care of that.

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz & Cancun FX MIDI DB

HgsHa4uh.png qKzWZ6Hh.png H3QXRxml.png 9gq4FPrl.png

These are carry-overs from my P4 build. Was debating whether to use the Cancun FX or NEC XR385 I also have; went with the Cancun FX in the end.

Seagate Barracuda 40gb & 80gb ATA IV hard drives

LRT5vf4h.png

Seasonic SS-400ET Active PFC PSU

APjCEjKh.png

Cooler Master Elite 330U Black ATX Case w/ Lite-On DVD-ROM/DVD-RW and 1.44mb floppy drive

A7qCsqgl.png

These are also carry-overs from my P4 build. They all performed well then and I expect them to continue doing so with the ASUS board as well. The Elite 330U was also cleaned and prepared for the S370 motherboard.

Time to put everything together (Picture overload continues! You have been warned!!):

Here's all the parts needed, ready to be assembled inside the case (and yes, there's something inside that big antistatic bag; I gave a clue already in this Marvin thread 😁 ).

PXI4BGWl.png

First in is the ASUS board. All the jumpers have been checked and verified, the CPU, heatsink and memory have been installed and a fresh, new CMOS battery has replaced the old, dead one.

bP2jsmXm.png AbW9e7bm.png

Next, the Voodoo 3 is in place and all the case wires and fan leads are plugged in.

PH0oG5am.png J2F4Qp0m.png

The Santa Cruz/Cancun FX and Seasonic PSU go in next.

lZqddg7m.png y6WZdE9m.png sPDkPGim.png

Time for the Seagate Hard drives to be secured in place.

RzoUT9Pm.png NaxM7vym.png

Now for the part I'm not very good at - plug in all the HD/floppy cables and PSU power leads while somehow keeping them all neat and tidy (I really suck at cable management 😅 ).

q2N4qjKm.png yEeYF6Sm.png

And..... it's done!

sQRfsyEm.png 8pnoPbvm.png bABE77um.png opY9WsRm.png FZc2ZoCm.png

Time to insert the side door in place and close everything up. Unsurprisingly, the case looks pretty much the same as before.

w74jIbJm.png 4s1vehYm.png 8hVlt5Pm.png 5UBw9icm.png

Now for the moment of truth - plug in the keyboard, mouse, VGA and power cables, then hit the power button (crosses fingers very tightly 😊 ).

reBH9yNl.png

It lives!!! And the hard drives and DVD-ROM/DVD-RW are recognized properly, that's excellent! The BIOS is old, however; it's the original version that came with the ASUS mobo. No problem though; a BIOS update can fix that.

8AoR43rl.png 8ZW0Rk7l.png

Ah yes, now that's much better. Even the chipset type is now recognized properly 😎 . Time to install Windows 98 SE.

HDoObxNl.png C0FoBY3l.png

Just a tad over 18 minutes from setup to the desktop. Not bad 😁 . All that's left now is to install drivers, applications, and configure Win98SE to fit my needs. There is a bit of a mystery, though.

xohI9myh.png

I'm pretty sure the 3dfx serial number on the Voodoo 3 labels it as a V3 2000 (I checked them at Falconfly.de and the seller didn't have an idea which it was), yet the boot ID string labels it as a V3 3000D. I'll probably see which is it once the Voodoo 3 drivers from Falconfly.de are installed. I'll be running some benchmarks also to see how this build performs.
EDIT: I've since been told by Nahkri that it is in fact a Voodoo 3 3000 and have verified this after installing the 3dfx drivers. Mystery solved 😁

This was a lot of fun, and brought back memories of when I did the same thing with my uncle back in 2001. There's still some more to be done, however:

- A new, more efficient CPU heatsink/fan. The Intel heatsink is old and just barely adequate (temperatures hover around 40 C on average).

- A USB 2 PCI card so I can use my USB sticks to transfer needed data more efficiently.

- Round IDE and floppy cables to help make cable management easier and nicer to look at.

- Some 256mb PC133 DIMMS to max out system memory and fill in the last memory slot.

I will post updates once I get these items. For now, it's time to go back and continue to update and tweak Windows 98 SE 😀

Last edited by JayCeeBee64 on 2015-02-27, 03:53. Edited 2 times in total.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 47, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great System!
There are some differents between Asus cusl2 and cusl2-c
Asus cusl2-c has problems with high fsb frequency
Is hard to reach 180mhz!
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2617082

If I were you, I would use evil inside bios
You can find it hier! 😀
http://www.x86-secret.com/articles/tweak/i815twken.htm
It will solve some problems

Reply 3 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

@Nahkri: Interesting bit of info, thanks 😀 . I never owned a Voodoo 3/4/5 before so I'm not familiar at all with their appearance or performance. This build will let me fill in some gaps and gain some valuable experience as well.

@Stermy57: thanks for the links and concerns, but I'm not an overcloker - it's just not in my blood. I prefer to run my retro builds with default settings so all I have to do is hit the power switch and go; I just feel more comfortable this way ^^

I will also mention that I'll be looking for an ATX case and PSU as well, since I do want to get my Pentium 4 back up and running once the Soyo board gets fixed.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 47, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the CM 330 case, mine is the PSU high version.

I suck at cable management too, so long as nothing goes in a fan, that's good enough ... no windowed cases for me.

Not sure about the side fan configuration - with the back fan slurping the heat out, wouldn't have bothered - not sure if the side high is intake, blowing at the CPU, or more extraction.

Reply 6 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Nahkri wrote:

Here's a site where u can find pics of almost all videocards with 3dfx chips http://tdfx.de/eng/grafikkarten_alle.shtml

Excellent, that site has just about every single piece of 3dfx hardware ever produced; there's even a picture of the RealVision Flash 3D, my first ever Voodoo 1 card! It's too bad I lost the Flash 3D in 2005 (I've replaced it with a Monster 3D recently, but somehow it just doesn't quite feel the same as before). Thanks again Nahkri 😀

Matth79 wrote:

I like the CM 330 case, mine is the PSU high version.

I suck at cable management too, so long as nothing goes in a fan, that's good enough ... no windowed cases for me.

Agree on both.

Not sure about the side fan configuration - with the back fan slurping the heat out, wouldn't have bothered - not sure if the side high is intake, blowing at the CPU, or more extraction.

It's supposed to be intake and blow at the CPU, but the position the fan is in almost misses the P3 CPU entirely. I'm going to remove it and see how the CPU temps are without it.

I also edited my initial post to properly identify the Voodoo 3 😊

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 8 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

A small update: got the Belkin USB 2 card from eBay. It came with driver CD and user manual.

Fa49vCgh.png ARWk8d3h.png
RxK8VjSh.png GsAcxuzh.png

Installing the card and driver was painless. And after updating with NUSB36, Win98SE can now recognize my USB thumb drives 😀

I also removed the side fan (as suggested by Matth79) and saw CPU temps drop to 35-36 C.

zmCwqAOl.png

I will still look for a better CPU cooler, just in case ^^

In my box of spare memory sticks I found this 512mb PC133 DIMM.

AvrnbaLh.png zeBrQH2h.png

I'm tempted to use it, but it has higher latency than the two 128mb PC133 DIMMS I have (CAS3 vs CAS2). I'll probably do some testing to see which is actually better.

Finally, I'm just about done configuring and tweaking Win98SE. I will do some benchmarks to see how capable this build is overall.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 9 of 47, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

And after updating with NUSB36, Win98SE can now recognize my USB thumb drives 😀

Didn't the usb drive work on the motherboard's usb conectors ?

Reply 10 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

They did, but were painfully slow - which is why I got the Belkin for, faster transfer speeds 😊

EDIT: The CUSL2-C only has USB 1.1 connectors.

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboard … d/ASUS/CUSL2-C/

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 11 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Finally got some benchmark results.

549Qclh.png yLx0ABn.png FhW76A9.png

The Voodoo 3 3000 gets decent scores with 3DMark99 and 3DMark2000; 3DMark2001SE is not that good, however (limited DX8 support).

VgNkDc4.png

GL Excess is a benchmark I've never heard of before; gave it a go with the Voodoo 3 and the scores appear to be decent as well (thanks swaaye for the link).

q25NTqR.png wwkmWmL.png

PCMark2002 and SuperPi scores 😀

MB1jL5n.png P3rzQpd.png uYR68qb.png
DepZkuX.png OmxPD8H.png kRjKUp3.png wBUod4X.png PwBQQZ1.png

Funny that SiSoft Sandra 99 thinks I have a Celeron 800 (obviously the P3 800EB it's not in the database); good thing CPU-Z knows better 😁

Overall this build is going according to plan; It's a good performer, very stable, and all the hardware works well together. Now to install some games and see how they do with the Voodoo 3 😊

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 12 of 47, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Funny that SiSoft Sandra 99 thinks I have a Celeron 800 (obviously the P3 800EB it's not in the database); good thing CPU-Z knows better 😁

If Sandra 99 is really from '99 (seems it is even from '98?) than both CPUs shouldn't be in its database (P3 800EB released march 2000 (S370, dec 1999 for Slot 1), Celeron 800 jan 2001). I suppose it's guessing and guesses wrong. It probably doesn't know Coppermine at all (released oct 1999) and guesses Celeron because L2 cache is less than 512kB and full-speed.

Reply 14 of 47, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tnx for the GL Excess link.
*Censored*, it looks like Radeon HD2600 Pro Agp not supports the sphere mapping at all (scene 7 and scene 8 )...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 15 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
Gamecollector wrote:

Tnx for the GL Excess link.
*Censored*, it looks like Radeon HD2600 Pro Agp not supports the sphere mapping at all (scene 7 and scene 8 )...

The Voodoo 3 doesn't do too well either - Scene 2 is just a bright white screen and Scene 11 has these funny-looking long rectangles instead of streams with the searchlights.

Nahkri wrote:

A more apropriate videocard for this system would be a Geforce 2.

I agree, and do have a GF2 GTS set aside (also a GF3 Ti 200 and P3 1GHz Coppermine); I'm going to play around with the Voodoo 3 and P3 800EB some more first, though 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 16 of 47, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose Voodoo 3 doesn't report temperature - I'd be inclined to consider a side low fan, rather than a side high.

The other possible (actually, I thought this case came with it) would be a passive pipe in the top position, to release cool intake air closer to the CPU - came with my version, but the side panel had two different grilles.

Reply 17 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Yup, no temp sensor on the Voodoo 3; I've also been considering placing the fan on the lower grille to take air out, now that I see how warm the Voodoo 3 gets after some heavy use with Unreal and Half-Life. And no, my Elite 330U didn't come with any passive pipes; this version is designed for newer PC hardware that places the CPU socket and cooler lower than the CUSL2-C does.

And just a bit of a minor update: I managed to get the Santa Cruz DOS emulation working. It took some old-fashioned IRQ dancing and sleight-of-hand, but it's done and ready for an experiment that I want to undertake, preferably on a weekend (and no, it doesn't involve playing DOS games. It is something related to DOS games, however ^^). I just hope Real Life gives me a break from the constant barrage I've endured as of late 😒

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 18 of 47, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

@Stermy57: thanks for the links and concerns, but I'm not an overcloker - it's just not in my blood. I prefer to run my retro builds with default settings so all I have to do is hit the power switch and go; I just feel more comfortable this way ^^

Oh yes me too 😀
My retro platform made for gaming run at stock frequency
This bios that I said to you is better than the standard even if you don't want to overclock

Reply 19 of 47, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Quite frankly, I don't see how this i815 BIOS Tweaker is any better. Other than overclocking fixes (which I don't need), it's about the same as the last official Asus beta BIOS. Unless there's something in it that I really need, I'll just pass on it 😀

Ooohh, the pain......