VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last Christmas I cleared out a lot of stuff but also made one last build with the best parts I had. I went for socket 7 as my favorite era remains the '90s DOS games, but using a P233MMX also allows for a bit more horsepower to run the odd Windows 98 Glide game.

As per my previous build, this one allows me to change the FSB speed and the multiplier with switches at the back. It gives 4 possible speeds: 100, 133, 166 and 233mhz.

It runs DOS 6.22 on the Compact Flash card or Windows 98SE on the single hard disk. I select a different boot disk in the BIOS depending on which OS I want to use.

Here are the specs:

Case stuff
Gigabyte GZ-X7 (I saw a few members using it here on Vogons and liked its looks and cheap price)
Antec Earthwatts 380w
ATX to AT converter
Lian Li 5.25" bay with two switches (only the left one is cabled and works - acts as on/off switch)
Orico 5.25" HDD bay (fits the HDD in a 5.25" bay instead of a 3.5" one)
Lian LI 5.25" to 3.5" adapter (fits the CF reader since this case only has one external 3.5" bay)

Motherboard, Cpu and RAM
ASUS VX97
Pentium 233MMX
64MB EDO RAM (4 16MB sticks)

Disks and drives
IBM DTLA 30Gb HDD (Windows 98SE)
Addonics ADIDECF-N CF card reader w/ mounting bracket (Sandisk 2GB CF card with a single DOS 6.22 partition)
ASUS DVD/CD burner
3.5" floppy disk drive

Cards and back panel stuff
Roland SCC-1
Sound Blaster Pro 2 CT1600
S3 Trio 64 PCI
3DFX Voodoo2
Silverstone "ClearCMOS switch" X2
PS/2 connector bracket

aDexpuy.jpg

Last edited by MMaximus on 2016-05-07, 17:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

very nice build!
I'd go with a SB16 though on a p1 machine, maybe you can add a GUS or something for 44khz goodness 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very cool!

While I also like to use MS-DOS 6.22, in a machine like that, MS-DOS 7.1 (MS-DOS mode) works perfectly fine too 😀

I really like your storage options and the buttons for changing the multiplier. Very nifty...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 18, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh a P200mmx can handle a Voodoo2? I didn't realize that! I may have to keep an eye out.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 18, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
King_Corduroy wrote:

Oh a P200mmx can handle a Voodoo2? I didn't realize that! I may have to keep an eye out.

Yup, it can. I used to have a Voodoo 2 in my P166MMX and worked much better than I expected.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 18, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

very nice build!
I'd go with a SB16 though on a p1 machine, maybe you can add a GUS or something for 44khz goodness 😁

thanks! In the '90s I used a CT1750 SB16 but I ended up selling it last year and kept only the CT1600. I agree that an SB16 is more "period correct" and probably sounds a bit better for digitized stuff but I appreciate the ease of use of the SB Pro2 (no TSRs). Never owned a GUS though, I know they're sought-after but I don't know anything about them...

philscomputerlab wrote:

Very cool!

While I also like to use MS-DOS 6.22, in a machine like that, MS-DOS 7.1 (MS-DOS mode) works perfectly fine too 😀

I really like your storage options and the buttons for changing the multiplier. Very nifty...

Thanks. Actually I ended up choosing this case after seeing one of your builds here. I'm sure DOS 7.1 would probably work fine too but I like the ease of use of the CF card and I don't think it would play nice with a Win98 install.

King_Corduroy wrote:

I always thought you really needed a Pentium II to use a Voodoo 2, and that's the setup I had in the late '90s with a 440BX board. However I liked the idea of owning only one retro rig, and I found my 440BX system not versatile enough. My PII-333 was multiplier locked, so it didn't go low enough for DOS, and for some reason the SCC-1 refused to work in this system. Also I didn't care enough for the Windows 98 era games... so I ended up sticking the Voodoo 2 card in the Socket7 system to create this hybrid build, and it works fine with the few Glide games I've tried (POD, Screamer 2 and Rally, Descent 2)

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 18, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:

[thanks! In the '90s I used a CT1750 SB16 but I ended up selling it last year and kept only the CT1600. I agree that an SB16 is more "period correct" and probably sounds a bit better for digitized stuff but I appreciate the ease of use of the SB Pro2 (no TSRs). Never owned a GUS though, I know they're sought-after but I don't know anything about them...

Why do you need a TSR for SB16? You need a TSR for AWE32/64 for games that support MIDI but not native AWE, and you may need an initialization program for PnP sound cards with a non-PnP BIOS or if you don't like the automatically chosen resources.

Reply 8 of 18, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:

Why do you need a TSR for SB16? (...)

By "TSR" I meant the usual drivers you have to load in the config.sys and autoexec.bat for SB16 operation - SB Pro2 doesn't need any.

bristlehog wrote:

What is the Antec case behind the Gigabyte one?

It's an Antec VSK-4000E - it houses a Pentium IV / Win XP system:
PIV 3.2ghz, P4C800-ED & Geforce 6800 Ultra system

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 9 of 18, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick update: I swapped the CT1600 with a CT2230 last year and took some pics at the same time but never posted them until now. As some of you pointed out an SB16 is more era correct when it comes to socket 7, and I felt the digitized sound wasn't as good with the CT1600 (I don't know what are the technical differences for this). I'm really pleased with the CT2230, I used to own a CT1750 in the past and the CT2230 is definitely quieter regarding noise levels.

As you can see on the pictures I didn't overthink the "cable management" part. Also, I have no free bays left as two are taken by the "ClearCMOS" switches (used to change the multiplier and bus frequency), and one by the PS/2 bracket. Lastly, there is no backplate so the Serial connector is just hanging there, but I'm leaving it just in case even though I don't really need it right now. So there is definitely room for improvement, any ideas are welcome!

N6sbEQbl.jpg

8zLfdyFl.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 11 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would imagine that between the 100, 133, 166, and 233 clock speeds, AND being able to run Setmul at any of those clock speeds, you have a very wide range of speeds you can run out, down to slow 386 and probably some 486 speeds too. Nice! Very well done, sir.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 18, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! I have to say I'm not familiar with Setmul, but I sometimes disable caches by going in the Bios for speed sensitive games. Works fine even though I tend to use this PC to play late DOS games more than early titles. I find I often prefer DosBox to play older games.

Also, I always turn off the computer before using the FSB and multiplier switches. Maybe it works "on the fly" but I don't know if there might be a risk of damage to the motherboard by doing so. Better safe than sorry 😀

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 13 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Setmul is so easy, even a caveman could use it (borrowing from an old auto insurance commercial). Seriously, have setmul.exe somewhere on your computer and add it to your path line. Then make a batch file for each game that needs slowing down. I typically use go.bat. Put in:
setmul l1d
game.exe
setmul l1e

That's it. First line disables L1 cache, 2nd line executes game, 3rd line re-enables L1 after game quits.

But yeah, if you mostly play late DOS games, then it's probably not so useful.

The case is especially beautiful! I like old PCs in new cases and new PCs in old cases. 😀 Share some benchmarks if you get a moment.

Cheers.

Reply 14 of 18, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info, that's very helpful! I looked at the thread in your signature and learned about Phil's benchmark kit, didn't know he had one - cool idea! Might get around to do some benchmarking soon.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 15 of 18, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I ran a few benchmarks with Phil's benchmark suite - I get 82.71 fps in DOOM when i'm running the system at full speed, and as low as 4.32fps when running it at 100mhz with L1 & L2 disabled. In this case, speedsys gives a CPU score of 10.45 which is apparently equivalent to a 386DX40 - it means the system won't run slow enough to play speed-sensitive games of the 286 and early 386 era.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 17 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:

So I ran a few benchmarks with Phil's benchmark suite - I get 82.71 fps in DOOM when i'm running the system at full speed, and as low as 4.32fps when running it at 100mhz with L1 & L2 disabled. In this case, speedsys gives a CPU score of 10.45 which is apparently equivalent to a 386DX40 - it means the system won't run slow enough to play speed-sensitive games of the 286 and early 386 era.

Your Doom score on that run is 4.32, which is roughly equivalent to an Am386DX-25, and only 10.8% faster than an Am386SX-40. So it's in a good range for games made between 1990-1992. It's tough to get into the 286-386 range through disabling caches. Oddly, the Pentium II Deschutes drops to those speeds when L1 is disabled, but it can't be slowed down into intermediate steps in the 386 and 486 range. 🙁

edit: oh yeah, rgart added a Cyrix 5x86-133 to the charts and it's performing like a 286 with L1 disabled. I hope he ends up adding results with caches enabled too so we can see how the processor spans.

Reply 18 of 18, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awgamer wrote:

I guess your motherboard doesn't let you reduce the FSB to 50 for 75 MHz?

It does let me choose 50mhz FSB, actually this is how I get 100mhz (50x2). The problem is the multiplier, 1.5x gets translated into 3.5x if you use a Pentium MMX. So the only way to use 1.5x is with a non-MMX Pentium.

Hard Disk Sounds