First post, by GeorgeMan
I decided to build a PC for my family. Basic stuff, internet, movies, games like The Sims 3-4 etc.
I investigated what is the latest hardware with official support for Windows 98 yet compatible with newer OSes, so that I could have fun with old games.
Long story short, I bought an Asrock 775i65G motherboard R3.0, with support for Core 2 Duo CPUs and official Win98 support (Intel 865 chipset), 2x1GB DDR 400 RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra, some HDDs and ready to go!
The heart of the PC is a Pentium DualCore (Penryn Core 2 Duo based), E6500K with unlocked multiplier, which runs at 2.93GHz (FSB 1066).
Other parts used:
- Case: Raijintek Arcadia with 2x Arctic Cooling super silent 12cm fans (front & rear).
- PSU: Hiper 425W
- Sata SSD: Micron C300 128GB for Windows 8.1
- Sata HDD: Toshiba 500GB 7200rpm for Windows XP
- IDE HDD: Western Digital 160GB 7200rom for Windows 98SE (formatted to 120GB)
- A black floppy with USB card reader for the sole 3.5" external bay
- Typical Optiarc IDE DVD-RW black
Hope you like it! 😀
Retro1: Athlon XP 3200+ @Arctic cooler | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9800XXL 128MB | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 160GB IDE HDD | Win98SE & XP
Retro2: under construction with a PIII 933 or a Tualatin Celeron 1200 and a GF2 GTS 32MB