Oldbie

So, I got this for free a few months back (thanks Sammy!):

5F8K5znl.jpg

Turns out it's actually a decent machine:
- Gigabyte GA-586HX Rev. 1.56
- AMD K5-PR166
- 24 MB RAM - I upgraded it to 40 MB, which is plenty
- ELSA Winner 1000 - S3 Trio 64 w/ 2 MB
- AWE 64 Value - that was the biggest surprise. I suspect it has been added later - made a PC speaker connector cable for it
- NE2000 ISA card - replaced it with a Realtek 8139 because of less driver problems and having 100Mb/s is nice
- generic 12x CD ROM drive - replaced with a 40x TEAC. Yeah, not period correct, bite me. I prefer one that actually works 😵
- Quantum 3.2 GB HDD
- added a Voodoo 1 for early GLide games

PIDcOOjl.jpg

My cable management skills, they are not great:
boBHHfIl.jpg

It's pretty similar to the computer I had in '96-'97, even has the exact same graphics card.

It has a Win95 install on it that's actually not bloated or corrupted in any way, so I decided to keep it. Boots faster than my i7 with SSD and Windows 8.1!

Primary use will be all DOS and early Windows games up to about '97. Speed is pretty much perfect for that.

I've decided to keep the K5 in it. Despite it's 116MHz clock, it actually can keep up with a P166. Quake in software mode is playable, GLQuake on the Voodoo is smooth is butter, so plenty fast for what I want it to do. I do have a P200, P200 MMX and a K6-200 laying around, but the K5 is much cooler 😎

5kBlAUAl.jpg

I'm half tempted to try the USB ports the Gigabyte board has, but without a OS supporting USB, there's no point really. I transfer all my stuff over the network anyway.

Anyway, I'm really happy with it!

Reply 3 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to visual inspection and the model name of the motherboard...430HX.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 13, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 95 osr 2.5 version C and maybe osr 2.1 version B,not sure about the last 1,but C works with the tx chipset.

http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

here is some more info about how to make it work,not 100% it will work on the hx chipset,but u can try.

Reply 5 of 13, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind in case I do a re-install. Besides, the header on the MB uses standard pinout, but one of them is reversed. I'd have to find a bracket with separate cables for the ports or make my own... combining that with the fact I don't really need USB, I'll focus my efforts on something else for now 😈

Reply 6 of 13, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oerk wrote:

I'm half tempted to try the USB ports the Gigabyte board has, but without a OS supporting USB, there's no point really. I transfer all my stuff over the network anyway.!

Yikes, USB 1.0... so slow. Network, or physically moving drives, is best.

FWIW another option an old Knoppix 3.1 CD. Runs well on these boxes and has good FDD and USB support.

Reply 7 of 13, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, using the network is about as fast as using the hard drive on this machine.

Yes, no point in USB, but I'm always tempted to max a system out, and that means using what the board has available. I'm sure I'm not the only one 😈

Reply 8 of 13, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:

I do have a P200, P200 MMX and a K6-200 laying around, but the K5 is much cooler 😎

Agreed! Nice system!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 9 of 13, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you! I'm having a blast with this.

At first I wasn't sure about Windows 95 or why I'd want a 95 install - pure DOS or 98SE should be better in every way, right? After using it a bit I've grown to like it - 95 has a pure, basic, nostalgic quality to it that 98 doesn't have. And it's period correct for this system. And it's way faster than I expected it to be.

Reply 10 of 13, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE: Found that the two 4MB sticks had 70ns timing, searched my pile of PS/2 sticks for some faster ones, and found a pair of 16MB 60ns SIMMS instead, so now we're up to a whopping 64MB RAM!

Reply 11 of 13, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oerk, have you tried bumping the FSB to 75MHz? I actually have tried this, and my K5-PR166 was somewhat stable. I believe that if somehow we could feed the chip something like 3.7V and some very good cooling it could do slightly better.

An AMD K5 PR200 running at 150MHz (2 x 75) would eat a Cyrix 6x86 PR200 for lunch, with better integer and FPU performance than the Cyrix. It would trounce a Pentium 200 on integer and maybe be around the performance of a Pentium 120 on FPU.

Reply 12 of 13, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They made a video card called the "Winner" ? 🤣

oerk wrote:

Thank you! I'm having a blast with this.

At first I wasn't sure about Windows 95 or why I'd want a 95 install - pure DOS or 98SE should be better in every way, right? After using it a bit I've grown to like it - 95 has a pure, basic, nostalgic quality to it that 98 doesn't have. And it's period correct for this system. And it's way faster than I expected it to be.

Windows 95 / NT4 have a significantly faster interface than 98 or later. The shell enhancements of Win98 make it slower. Those enhancements can be added to 95/NT4 by using an option in the IE4 installer. But at that point, with the performance impact you might as well just run 98 instead.

I think the only reason to install those enhancements on Win95 would be if one wanted the Win98 style interface but needed 95 for some compatibility reason.

Reply 13 of 13, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

They made a video card called the "Winner" ? 🤣

ELSA had several "Winner" models, most of them S3 based.
I *think* Winner refers to the cards being designed for Windows, besides the obvious play on words.