VOGONS

Reply 40 of 43, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Out of sheer curiosity once again, I installed MDK and MDK2 to see if they would work. To my surprise both did and really well, so I went ahead and got some game benchmarks ^^.

Since MDK is limited to 640x480 and capped at 30 FPS, I just ran the built-in performance test:

DirectDraw - PNY Verto GeForce 6600

DcZmN3B.png

Direct3D - PNY Verto GeForce 6600

xEda0On.png

Aaahhh yes! Ludicrous Speed, Engage! 🤣 🤣

MDK2 results were more down to earth by comparison 😊 (all done with OpenGL and 32-bit true color):

640x480=207.69 FPS

9pL3sKV.png

800x600=199.83 FPS

cnNICQN.png

1024x768=198.57 FPS

8txqdmv.png

1152x864=191.53 FPS

AddGZfSh.png

Since MDK2 supports widescreen resolutions I added two more test runs, 1280x720 and 1600x900 😎

1280x720=193.95 FPS

a33K6mEh.png

1600x900=149.12 FPS

29VjQieh.png

Too bad game text gets stretched, but graphics look right on 😁

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 41 of 43, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Looks like Microsoft is scaling up their "Upgrade to Windows 10" Campaign to new levels of annoyance 😠

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3029613/micr … o-block-it.html

At least the time I spent learning Linux with this Pentium 4 build has been quite good and very eye-opening; now it's time to put all of that experience into real-world practice and start plans for Phase II - drop Windows 7 from my main Core i5 PC down the drain and replace it with a Windows XP/Linux Mint dual boot setup. This gives me full compatibility with my retro games and applications while allowing me to do daily tasks (online and off) without having to worry about security (or MS) too much; for me, the best of both worlds 😎 . The Pentium 4 will now switch roles from test bed to backup PC and remain as-is; this gives me a quick replacement in case something happens to my main PC and buys me time while doing recovery and/or repairs. This also means this build is finally done and over with - no more updates will be posted. One down, three to go ^^.

[rant]To the MS faithful: Give me a break and keep it to yourselves! 😜 . All I wanted from Microsoft is to let me have my OS of choice and be left well enough alone, not this 'we know better so we must decide for you' mantra crap; if they (and you) are not going to listen to me, why should I listen? After all, communication goes both ways (unless those little portable devices have brainwashed most people and turned them into techno-zombies 😵 ). Anyway if anyone must complain then go ahead, I won't bother with this thread anymore - I'm done here and that's that! 😏 [/rant]

To the Mods: My apologies if I've overstepped any boundaries here. Feel free to lock this topic if necessary; as I said before I'm finally done and won't post any more updates. Have a good day 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 43 of 43, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

JayCeeBee64: I am pretty sure the "upgrade" push from Microsoft will end at the end of July, when the free upgrade offer expires, so just keep automatic updates turned off until then (or until you switch to Linux) and you'll be fine. I personally enjoy 10, but hey, we don't all have the same tastes.