VOGONS

Going PRO!

Topic actions

First post, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been downsizing my collection lately and i had everything disassembled.
Missing a bit of the action I decided to build a machine to play some nice games.

I had all the stuff boxed, just needed a case. I ordered a brand new Antec 300 and it arrived a few days ago.

Time for a "new" build. It's time for the Pro to shine. 😀

For the build I'm using:

Antec Three Hundred
Cooler Master PSU with -5v
Intel socket 8 motherboard
Pentium Pro 200 MHz with 1MB cache
A nice cooler
128 or 256MB EDO

For now I've settled for a Matrox G450 PCI because it has DVI.

Sound is taken care by a SB Pro 2 and possibly an AWE64 Gold.
MIDI is taken care by a nice Yamaha SW60XG, a Roland MPU-IPC-T with a MT-32 and SC88 PRO.
I'll probably go Sata with a Promise card and 80GB Seagate drive.

I'll add a nice NEC IDE drive with audio output and an IDE CF reader.

It's a work in progress, pictures soon.

Meanwhile comments or thoughts are welcome.

Some photos of the parts:

King Leonidas and the brave three hundred! Oops, wrong three hundred.

IMG_0770_zpsubuq40s9.jpg

Intel VS440FX, Intel Pentium Pro 200MHz 1MB and 4 x 64MB EDO RAM

IMG_0771_zpsx9p8un8k.jpg

Good MIDI and excelent compatibility are covered

IMG_0775_zpsdvcs86ur.jpg
IMG_0774_zpsyt5nlupx.jpg

Power is everything (-5v compatible)

IMG_0777_zpsyig1ngxt.jpg
IMG_0778_zpsnlbabtzg.jpg

Hello there Matrox! (clean output and DVI)

IMG_0776_zpswe5yidlh.jpg

Bringing the noise down a notch with Zalman and Noiseblocker / Going SATA with Promise SATA 150 TX4

IMG_0782_zpszgzsizs7.jpg

Last edited by sprcorreia on 2015-04-10, 00:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds good to me! I really like the Antec 300 case. I've got my "ultimate" legacy PC inside one as well as my current "mainstream" daily-use machine. They may not be the most attractive case ever made, but you can't beat 'em for price/functionality/performance. I've actually got a spare NIB just in case I ever decide to put together another machine and Antec ever stops selling them.

As far as soundcards go, why not use a SB16? If not, the SB Pro 2 and AWE64 are also great choices.

Isn't 256mb RAM a bit overkill for a PPro 200? I mean, if you've already got it you should definitely use it. But if you don't, it seems a bit unnecessary.

Reply 3 of 13, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I already have all the parts. The case and a 5.25 to 3.5 adapter were the only purchases I made.
I really like the Antec too. Had to wait 2 weeks for it to arrive from Germany.

Reply 4 of 13, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks great! Excellent mix of some fine parts there with the PPro and SW60XG and of course the Roland gear. Can't wait to see the final result!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 5 of 13, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I didn't quite like the aspect of the 5.25" to 3.5" adapter and the CF adapter ended up being mounted in the back for now.
I'm using a 4GB Hitachi Microdrive to move data to this machine. It's also a very capable MS-DOS HDD so I ended up installing MS-DOS 6.22 so I can have a backup boot HDD.

IMG_0786_zps4oofrmhv.jpg
IMG_0787_zpszgxfvbdz.jpg

Reply 7 of 13, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The games I play run just fine and I never needed to compare it.

Feipoa made some nice tests here:

Re: The Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison

Reply 8 of 13, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Pentium Pro's weakness was anything 16-bit. A machine like this was born to run NT or your vintage UNIX of choice. Or OS/2, if you're one of those people.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 9 of 13, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you need an image of the original Matrox G450 installation CD (which has drivers for everything from DOS, 9x, W2K, to XP) you can download it here:
http://ibmfiles.com/misc/matrox/G450_LX_CD13B.zip
Of course other Matrox utilities as well if you're into that kind of thing...

Good selection of parts on this build; I have a promise controller like that (was thinking of using it for that very purpose to get SATA on an older system).

Are you going to get one of those Pentium Pro CPU conversions to turn it into a Pentium II?

calvin wrote:

The Pentium Pro's weakness was anything 16-bit. A machine like this was born to run NT or your vintage UNIX of choice. Or OS/2, if you're one of those people.

OS/2 was one of the few OSes at the time to support SMP. Frankly... it's hell of a lot more useful than NT.

Reply 10 of 13, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
raymangold wrote:
If you need an image of the original Matrox G450 installation CD (which has drivers for everything from DOS, 9x, W2K, to XP) you […]
Show full quote

If you need an image of the original Matrox G450 installation CD (which has drivers for everything from DOS, 9x, W2K, to XP) you can download it here:
http://ibmfiles.com/misc/matrox/G450_LX_CD13B.zip
Of course other Matrox utilities as well if you're into that kind of thing...

Good selection of parts on this build; I have a promise controller like that (was thinking of using it for that very purpose to get SATA on an older system).

Are you going to get one of those Pentium Pro CPU conversions to turn it into a Pentium II?

Thanks for the link, I'll give a look.

It would be cool to have an Overdrive, but I'll just keep it like this. I'm also avoiding to go over 200MHz and get those "Runtime error 200".

Reply 11 of 13, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P-Pro overdrive chips are BEASTS in terms of performance. You honestly need a coppermine pentium 3 to even beat the 333 overdrive. the OD chip has 512kb of L2 cache and it just makes everything so fast. Compared to a normal P2 and katmai P3's 1/2 speed L2.

That said, P-Pro's are my favorite chips. I love your build! Only thing I would change... Add more processors. 2 is better than one! ^.^

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 13, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
calvin wrote:

I've been playing DOS games on both PPro 233 and P MMX 233, performance is pretty much the same. When using true 32bit OS and applications the Pro is 50% faster, sometimes even more. In my (32bit only) tests Pentium Pro 200/256 is roughly equivalent to an overclocked Pentium MMX at 300 MHz.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 13 of 13, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been adding some more stuff to the case. I've mounted the DVD, added two silent Nexus fans to the front and mounted a 2.5" 80GB Toshiba HDD with an adapter. I could mount it in the bottom of the case but I want it in the middle of the airflow.

This is turning out to be a very cool and quiet machine.

The Nexus fans that i had kept from another machine (ironically they were installed on another PC built around an Antec 300 that i sold a few years ago).

IMG_0789_zpsc3uvrspk.jpg
IMG_0790_zpssyvzcenm.jpg

The DVD-RW drive with working analog output! Most recent IDE drives lack the capability.

IMG_0796_zpssuai8xee.jpg

2.5" SATA Toshiba HDD with OCZ SSD adapter (SSD replaced the HDD in my old Qosmio laptop, so it was just laying around)

IMG_0797_zpszr7sevsl.jpg