VOGONS

My XP box!

Topic actions

First post, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My XP box. It was mostly built out of spare parts, but it has a lot of versatility thanks to the VIA PT880 Pro chipset.

Motherboard: 775Dual-VSTA w/ unofficial bios
CPU: Core2Duo E6400
Memory: 3GB DDR2-667
Video Card: Radeon X800 GTO

What I like about this board is that the chipset was created to ease the transition from DDR1/AGP to DDR2/PCIE. So as a result I get a little bit of everything at the cost of a little bit of overall capacity/speed. But since it's built around XP, this isn't a big concern. This board has:

PCIe 16x (at 4x)
AGP 8x
DDR1
DDR2
SATA1
PATA

In theory, i'm only able to run 2GB of DDR1 or DDR2 at a time, but with the modded bios I'm able to actually run 3GB. The bios also adds support for Core2Quads, but I haven't tried one out yet. 2GB would be fine for XP anyways, so I wasn't too worried. I put an old CPU fan on the GPU, which makes it run much quieter than the tiny little stock fan that was spinning at some ridiculous RPM, had to resolder the connector, but it works nicely. It's bigger and pushes more air than the 775 HSF, haha, but it keeps the X800 super cool. I also use it as a makeshift DDR1/DDR2/AGP test bench.

IMG_20150712_184247918_2.jpg

I also like that the bios chip is in a PLCC socket so I can easily remove it if I end up nuking the bios. I would eventually like to get it a 256MB/512MB card but I don't have any on hand that aren't being used at the moment, the X800 GTO 128MB is treating me good though at the moment. 🤣

Reply 1 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice build with a very unique motherboard. Awesome as a box for testing graphics cards and doing benchmarks to compare them.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 13, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a nice setup. I've had my eye on this board but haven't found the right one yet (as is often the case in life)...

_: K6-III+ 450apz@550, P5A-B, 128Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300, AWE64 Gold 32mb, SC-55v2.0
_: Pentium III 1400 S, TUSL2-C, 512Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300

Reply 3 of 13, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious but what unofficial BIOS are you using?

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 4 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neat build and a neat board - I remember playing around with one of them years ago, and had a PT880-based board (AGP only though) for a few years that was fantastic. Out of curiosity, have you tried AGP + PCIe together in that board? I've often wondered if that'd work on those kind of boards, but never had one to try it myself with.

Reply 5 of 13, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the exact same model!

Its a fun board but the FSB wont go far beyond 300 MHz so if you try a Quad get one with 266/1066 MHz FSB.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 6 of 13, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote:

Just curious but what unofficial BIOS are you using?

Unofficial bios 3.19a, the last official one by Asrock is 3.10. This 3.19a was released by pctreiber.net (here) and gives support for new CPU's, more memory, and newer video cards.

obobskivich wrote:

Neat build and a neat board - I remember playing around with one of them years ago, and had a PT880-based board (AGP only though) for a few years that was fantastic. Out of curiosity, have you tried AGP + PCIe together in that board? I've often wondered if that'd work on those kind of boards, but never had one to try it myself with.

I'm not sure if that would work, I haven't tried it. Also, I think the PCIe 16x slot is only intended for GPUs. When I get the hardware though I might actually try running some sort of SATA/SAS HBA in it and seeing what happens.

Reply 7 of 13, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

The 939Dual-SATA2 can run both PCIe and AGP graphic at once.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 13, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember a "Combo" motherboard with this chipset from Gigabyte back then. Really cool to be able to use two types of RAM AND VGA.

I didn't know those could handle C2Ds! Isn't the VIA limited to P4s and Celerons?

Reply 9 of 13, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

I remember a "Combo" motherboard with this chipset from Gigabyte back then. Really cool to be able to use two types of RAM AND VGA.

I didn't know those could handle C2Ds! Isn't the VIA limited to P4s and Celerons?

Nope, it can run Conroe based Core2's (and Pentium D's apparently) as well - it even says it on the board in the pic 😉

Reply 10 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The example of this board I got to toy around with some time ago had a Pentium D 800-series in it - they do work. At the time that was latest-and-greatest from Intel, but nowadays I'd probably just skip over Pentium D and go right for Core 2 Duo if given the choice.

Reply 11 of 13, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually played through all of Resident Evil 4 @ 1280x1024 4xAA 4xAF and it played beautifully. Also beat Resident Evil Remake on a Gamecube emulator with this system using Dolphin 3.0. Did you all know that the really old versions, like Dolphin 3.0 are actually able to run nicely on a Core2? It's awesome!

Reply 12 of 13, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep. I used to run Dolphin 3 all the time on a 3GHz Opteron 185 on S939. That rig was able to run New Super Mario Bros at a full 60fps, even upscaled to 1080p. I was quite amazed at how much better it looked emulated on a PC than it did on the Wii itself!

BTW, I used to have that motherboard myself. I didn't have very good luck with it though; it just wasn't completely stable running an E2180 at 1066MHz FSB. Also, 2D video performance with a 7800GS was sluggish. I've heard plenty of good things about that board though. Perhaps mine was a dud.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 13 of 13, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote:

I didn't have very good luck with it though; it just wasn't completely stable running an E2180 at 1066MHz FSB.

It's funny you say that actually, because this one isn't completely stable either at 1066mhz. I have it underclocked very slightly for stability.