VOGONS

First post, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I posted about this briefly before, but I figured I'd do a more thorough thread with pictures now that it is complete.

This poor system was going to be thrown in the trash. It was my grandmothers system. It lived most of its life inside a closed in desk cabinet running warm with Windows XP and 50 icons named random things such as "New Folder (3)". It also chugged along 2 expired antivirus and god knows how much actual malware. Every time I'd go over there I would do a quick msconfig / autoruns clean up to keep it going just a little longer. Well, it did its job. She used this system for YEARS, not once reinstalling Windows XP. Earlier this year she wanted to upgrade, so this thing was retired. I offered to take it.

Here is the poor trooper in all his glory:

Pentium 4 2.8ghz (with HT, so that's a plus atleast)
2x 256MB DDR2-533 (512MB)
250GB HD
Floppy Drive
56K modem (she MIGHT have actually used this before she got broadband, not sure, haha)
Integrated Graphics
Dell 305W PSU

Old_E520.jpg

Case badges tell the story of the struggle:
IMG_2376.jpg

Thanks grandma for this junker. Let's see what we can do with it. I was somewhat excited I admit, since it DID have a PCIe 16x slot, PCIe 1x slot, and 4 x DDR2 DIMM slots. My initial impression was that it has potential to be decent. The manual states it runs an Intel 965 based chipset with a FSB of 800/1066. That's a GREAT start. That means we might be able to run Core2 ! It also states a maximum of 4GB in 4x1GB layout, but we all know how manuals can be with their somewhat outdated information, so I had hopes I could push it to 8GB, a theory reinforced by the wiki page showing 965 chipsets can run 8GB.

My Core2Duo proved a success and booted right up. But I decided to take it a bit further and throw in a Core2Quad because why not? SUCCESS! It runs great! The only problem was that it was running HOT. I had to upgrade the heatsink. This heatsink with it's heat pipe goodness is from a different Dell system and is labeled J9761:

New_E520_4.jpg

Installed and ready to go:
IMG_2379.jpg

And you know what? We don't really need a floppy drive right now, and the manual shows it has a "FlexBay" header on the board - ie a USB 10 pin header for card readers, so lets throw this guy in:

New_E520_5.jpg

The funny part about this card reader is the USB labels are SS ie "SuperSpeed" which is reserved only for USB 3.0. This is a USB 2.0 card reader with a USB 2.0 header, so it's labeled wrong, but regardless I thought that was amusing. Looking better:

IMG_2375.jpg

Now, the GPU was an interesting problem. Since it's a BTX style motherboard, everything is flipped upside down. This system only officially supports single slot GPU's, any dual slots won't fit or would interfere with the CPU heatsink shroud, here's a good pic showing the issue:

7288_755_SLOT.jpg

But lucky me, when I bought my Radeon HD 4830 years ago, I got the MSI version with the orb style cooler. I cut the mounting bracket in half to make it "single slot".
MSI_Unveils_Four_Radeon_HD_4830_Graphics_Cards_5.jpg

I also added a nice little 500W PSU and an Intel Pro/1000 Gigabit nic. So now here we are:

Grandma's tricked out Dell E520:

Intel Core2Quad Q6600
8GB DDR2-800
1TB HD
Radeon HD 4830
Card Reader w/ 4 USB
Intel Pro/1000 Gigabit Nic
500W PSU
Windows 7

It now has no problems doing modern tasks, with a modern OS. It can play most 2012 and under games nicely and can multitask like a beast now with the quad and 8GB ram.
New_E520_3.jpg

Living a peaceful cool life now as a living room computer, don't mind the desk, it's temporary:

E520_final.jpg

Last edited by fyy on 2015-07-22, 22:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I kind of like the BTX standard. Unfortunately my Dell GX620 doesn't support Core 2 CPUs. 🙁

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 10, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I gave the old family E310 to Goodwill. Good riddance, terrible cpu support and only pcie x1 and pci slots. Yours on the other hand has had it's potential fulfilled and is now a rockin daily driver 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 10, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I acquired an E520 from a customer. It was only a Pentium D820 with 512MB of RAM and integrated video, it literally shipped a day before Vista was released. I upgraded it a bit. Now its running a Core2Duo E6700, 5GB of RAM, an ATI All-in-Wonder X800XT, and a SB Audigy Platinum. Dual boots Windows 8.1 x64 and Windows XP these days. The only thing that annoys me about this machine is the lack of onboard gigabit ethernet. I'd like to fill that one PCIe x1 slot with something else.

Reply 7 of 10, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is way more of an upgrade than I would've expected! Cool.

_: K6-III+ 450apz@550, P5A-B, 128Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300, AWE64 Gold 32mb, SC-55v2.0
_: Pentium III 1400 S, TUSL2-C, 512Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300

Reply 8 of 10, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Glad you all like it ! It was a fun little project and actually served as my main system for a brief period.

NJRoadfan wrote:

I acquired an E520 from a customer. It was only a Pentium D820 with 512MB of RAM and integrated video, it literally shipped a day before Vista was released. I upgraded it a bit. Now its running a Core2Duo E6700, 5GB of RAM, an ATI All-in-Wonder X800XT, and a SB Audigy Platinum. Dual boots Windows 8.1 x64 and Windows XP these days. The only thing that annoys me about this machine is the lack of onboard gigabit ethernet. I'd like to fill that one PCIe x1 slot with something else.

Yeah I wish it had onboard gigabit, that would be awesome. You could just go my route though and get a PCI based PRO/1000 and then use the PCIe 1x for something else.

Reply 9 of 10, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Came across a few of these at my old work.

Not bad machines really. Though trying to find a Win7 driver for on-board Video was a nightmare 😊

I was surprised by the upgradeability of these machines though.

And I also quite like the BTX standard, I would prefer to see the top of expansion cards rather than the bottom. But I suppose they had to flip it when PCI came out in order to differentiate with ISA.. ?

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊