VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With a different CF adapter I was able to boot into DOS and load Wolf3D but it froze at the menu. I guess I'll have to try different memory chips after all.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 21 of 33, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a ghost in the machine or something 😀

I replaced all memory chips with known good ones but still couldn't get it to wake up, if onboard IDE controller was used. Was able to boot off an ISA controller and play some Wolf3D. Things were looking good until I tried that stunt again. Now it's back to freezing for no apparent reason.

I'll try disabling both the onboard IDE and floppy controllers, see if it helps.

Any more ideas?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 22 of 33, by kubino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

some time ago I had similar issue when installed additional ISA card. the issue caused IDE controller. I had to replace the card. Maybe disabling onboard IDE will work for you.

Reply 26 of 33, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Half-Saint wrote:

Not the power supply either, just tested with two other AT power supplies and it's freezing up all the same.

After reading all I suspect either a bad Bios or a minor connection break somewhere on the board.
If you have time inspect every leg you can find on the chips if they are okay. Reseating the Bios sometimes fix such issues also.

Tricky boards those old 286 things but it rarely happens that they can't be brought back alive. 🤣
Usually it's just being patient to find the cause.

Reply 27 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe dried-out capacitors.. Electrolyte capacitors dont live for ever.. If they worn out the board will getting unstable.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 28 of 33, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tthere aren't any elcos on the board that I can see... maybe it has something to do with parity chips? I'll try taking them out and see what happens.

I'm thinking about buying NOS memory from eBay. Would this work with my board?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-8pc-lot-256k-x-4- … =item280564e181

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 30 of 33, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably will have to scrap it. Reseating the chips didn't help and replacing the keyboard connector didn't help either. At least I can save the RAM and coprocessor.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 31 of 33, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

Yeah, for testing I removed EVERYTHING except the video card and the CF card to eliminate all possible errors. I tried two different VGA cards.

Desolder and save the crystals and other useful stuff, I would even desolder and save the CPU as 16 MHz 286 CPUs are starting to become rare. You can use a heat gun to desolder the CPU if you dont care about the board, the CPU will probably survive if you do not heat it to more than 225C - 250C long enough for the solder to melt.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 32 of 33, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shame, but at lest you will have saved some of it, not scrapped the entire thing like the person before

Reply 33 of 33, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I salvaged what I could: CPU, FDD, SIMMs, jumpers, BIOS, riser and they all found new owners. The MOBO and case were recycled. I do not solder.

I also typically offer dead things for free but people are not willing to pay for shipping usually.