VOGONS

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The last time I posted, I was complaining about/praising the EXP4349 mainboard, my DLC was not working right, and the addition of a 486LTE laptop with a bad floppy (belt expanded, rendering the A: drive useless).

Here's what I've done so far. Exhibit 1) - Desktop case with AMD 386.

I picked up a case in Poland with a 4X CDROM (which is dead, unfortunately - Driver sees it, but it won't read) and a 1.44MB floppy drive. It had a 220V only power supply, which I swapped out for a NOS 120/220 unit. I put in my EXP4349 board and I tried many CPUs (the original 486DX33 that it shipped with, and used to boot with!), but it will seemingly only accept the Am386DX and the IIT co processor, even after many hours of checking and re-checking the jumpers. The CPUs in the upcoming album all failed to POST (I know 2 are definitely good). I also got a single FPM 32Mb 72 PIN module (new), a VLB I/O card, and an S3 1Mb VLB video card, all at great prices from Poland. I was expecting the motherboard to accept a true 486, so this may seem overkill for a 386, but, such is my predicament and thus a 386 with supercharged parts it can't take advantage of - Albeit it plays Settlers very well, on par my DLC (next "build"). It is my most stable AT computer, despite being pretty mediocre otherwise.

http://imgur.com/a/vbvbN

Specs:

Motherboard production date - Sept 30, 1994
-Am386DX @ 40 MHz
-4C87DLC IIT co-pro @ 40 MHz
-32 Mb 72 pin 60NS FPM RAM
-EXP 4349 Mainboard with 128k Cache
-ST31002A Medalist 1 Gb HDD
-1.44 Mb Floppy
-1.2Mb Floppy
-S3 1Mb VLB video
-Generic VLB Multi-IO
-SB16 Value audio
-4X IDE CDROM (not working)
-MSDOS 6.22 with Windows 3.11 and Windows 3.1 (Polish version)

Future plans: 512k cache, 2Mb video (via 44256 chips), BIOS battery (none present currently), internal Iomega 100 drive at cost of non-functional CDROM (currently sharing an external 250Mb drive with the other AT machines).

Exhibit 2: The 486 DLC

I've had this one since the late 1990s. I picked up the case at the side of the road and rebuilt it with era specific parts that I either found in my parts pile from working at a computer store in the mid 90s or from buying computers at Goodwill for $5 and scouring them for great parts (My AHA SCSI controller and Colorado tape backup were acquired this way - Sadly those days are long gone). I don't really remember what was in it originally (I believe it was an i386/25 system, hence the Intel Inside sticker) though but it has seen some upgrades since. This is the heaviest computer I own, and the one that I would return to if my house was on fire and I could get only one back. I used it to write essays and term papers well into the late 2000s, but it has never been quite stable, especially at game play: Extensive troubleshooting has yielded Windows stability, but DOS games work pretty much when they want to. Still, it is my favourite.

http://imgur.com/a/8xVYr

Specs:

Motherboard production date October 1992
-Cx486DLC @ 40 MHz (EXP4349 would not take this CPU, sadly)
-Cyrix FasMath 83D8740-GP co-pro
-32 Mb RAM via 70NS 32 pin SIMM memory (8X4Mb)
-PC Chips M321 ISA mainboard with 128k Cache
-528 Mb Quantum Maverick ProDrive IDE primary disk
-1Gb Seagate Barracuda ST32550N SCSI secondary disk (LOUD AS HELL)
-1.44 Mb Floppy drive
-1.2 Mb Floppy drive
-Internal IOMEGA 100 Mb Zip drive (working and configured)
-Colorado 350 Mb tape backup (working, but I need more media for it to do a full backup)
-2Mb NVRAM ATI Mach32 ISA video card with Microsoft InPort Bus mouse (used by said mouse)
-Generic AT IO controller (dead game port 🙁 )
-Adaptec AHA 1542B ISA SCSI controller
-Creative SBPRO sound card with Panasonic CR563B 2X CDROM
-3COM III ISA 10Mbit Network card
-DRDOS 7.01 with Windows 3.0, 3.1, and 3.11 running Calmira II
-NEC 17 inch CRT XGA monitor (to be replaced with a Dell 19 inch)
-IBM Model M keyboard
-Gravis joystick (http://s43.photobucket.com/user/bohoki/media/ … ravis2.jpg.html) via SBPRO game port
-Some kind of HP scanner (SCSI, used it once).

Future plans: 256k cache, BIOS battery replacement (starting to corrode), possibly swap in my 850Mb IDE via DDO. Take the yellow off the case.

Exhibit 3: The Dell Dimension XPSPro200n

This one I recently acquired at my job and Alma Mater in exchange for a pack of gum and a license plate (no lie) - I don't know too much about it other than it doesn't seem to like to play Settlers very well on occasion (when it does though, so much faster than on the 386 or DLC) , and the resulting crashing messes up Windows 95 for the next few boots. Also, the PS/2 mouse port detects a mouse on POST but will not work at all. I have to use a serial mouse, to much disdain as I have to share it with the 386. It came with 32 Mb RAM which I upgraded to 48 via random EDO sticks I had lying around, and I also added a 2.5 Gb HDD which I also had lying around. The stock floppy has an issue wherein it thinks all floppy diskettes are write protected, so I replaced it with another generic 1.44 drive which seems to only want to format in DOS. Further investigation is required. Interestingly, the BIOS kept the time for over 10 years with only a couple minutes deviation.

http://imgur.com/a/yZTLq

Specs:

Production date, September 1996
-Pentium Pro @200 MHz (unknown cache size)
-48 Mb EDO RAM
-Intel VX(?) chipset on Dell MB (ATX Power supply, curiously)
-WD Caviar 1.2 GB primary IDE
-WD Caviar 32500 (2.5 Gb) secondary IDE
-1.44 floppy (curiously, it had a 1.2 that I stuck into my 386 instead, hence the hole in the case)
-2Mb S3 PCI video card
-Some kind of ISA network card
-ESS Audiodrive (unknown model) ISA sound
-Windows 95

Future plans: Paint the black large drive bay cover white, install a 100 Mb IOMEGA internal zip drive, possibly reformat the primary partition and reinstall 95. Figure out the floppy drive issue.

That's it for now, and I surmise, for quite some time to come unless I can get a true AT here to round out my collection.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 2 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure you must already have this, but just in case you don't here is the link to the scanned manual for your EXP4349
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Data%20 … 4349/index.html

Maybe there is some additional info in there that can help you get your 486 chips going.

By the way, if you got 512kb cache going on a 386, that would certainly be unique. I've seen opti boards like this that can do 512kb, but only with the 486 cpu installed.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2015-11-09, 12:14. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please report back if you are able to get 256 KB cache working reliably on that CHIPS-based 386 board. Of the 3 examples I'm aware, 256 KB was a no-go. Some work with up to 128 KB, some with 64 KB. 32 MB of RAM is also unreliable. I would be interested to know of your results.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least from what I remember, 386 motherboards supporting more than 64 or 128kb cache were relatively uncommon, unless of course you are talking about 386 boards that use 486 chipsets.

Reply 8 of 24, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, I know nothing about cache or what chips to even look for, can someone help me out?

What benchmarks do you guys want me to run on it?

Reply 9 of 24, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote:

What benchmarks do you guys want me to run on it?

There's always Phil's benchmark: Phil's Ultimate VGA Benchmark Database Project

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 10 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

486 DLC is an awesome case, good luck running out of the house before getting burnt though!
Sadly my Panasonic interface Creative 2x finally died on my 486 (it had been getting worse for years) and only have 1 IDE channel used for 2 HDD's Although in the end if you have a working network you really don't miss a CD drive in early PC's with large HDD's these days. Floppy is more important.

Reply 11 of 24, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the drive work? I ask because my 386 has a dead IDE 4x but the SBValue has a Panasonic interface. Otherwise I might just get an SCSI CDROM off eBay, put that in the DLC and give the 386 the 2x.

Reply 12 of 24, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're better off with a later IDE if you want to read cdr/rw media. Shouldn't be to hard to aquire as well. It's what I use on my 386DX25 box. These days floppy emulators are more useful than fdds.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 13 of 24, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jed118 wrote:

Does the drive work? I ask because my 386 has a dead IDE 4x but the SBValue has a Panasonic interface. Otherwise I might just get an SCSI CDROM off eBay, put that in the DLC and give the 386 the 2x.

The Panasonic drive? No. Had a quick look on ebay for a replacement but didn't find much. Is a shame as my I/O controller is VLB and on board so don't really want to use something else, The PC is this one.

Osbone 486 DX2 66 VL-Bus (My 1st PC ever)

Really though I'm finding the combination of real HDD for Dos/Windows installed on C:\ and swapping out CF cards for the data drive much more convenient. Most dos games don't need the CD and ones that do I've cracked.

Reply 14 of 24, by Rauli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote:

I was expecting the motherboard to accept a true 486

I have an EXP4349 board like yours, but I have the opposite problem: It is working with a 486DX2, but I can't make it run with a 386 (Am386DX).

I have used jumper settings from scanned manual downloaded from MOBOKIVE. Are you using this same manual, or a different one?

I have read that your board has 128 Kb cache. My board has 256 Kb cache. I don't know if a certain cache size can determine which CPU can/cannot be used. What type are your 8 cache chips (at bottom-right corner in your photo), are they W24257AK?

Reply 15 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe both of you can dump your BIOSes and we can compare the two images to see if there are any differences.

Reply 16 of 24, by Rauli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Maybe both of you can dump your BIOSes and we can compare the two images to see if there are any differences.

I tried with no results. It has a Phoenix BIOS. Award and AMI flash utilities refuse to dump the BIOS because it is neither Award nor AMI. I don't have a Phoenix flash/dump utility. I also tried Uniflash (3 different versions) and it displays an error because the PCI bus is not detected (this board doesn't have any PCI slot) and it returns to DOS. I also tried to force all those utilities with command line parameters, but they just don't want to dump the BIOS.

Reply 17 of 24, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Too bad you don't have an eprom reader.

Did you try pcjrcart?

http://www.brutman.com/PCjr/pcjr_cart_dumping.html

Although it was designed for pcjr, it can dump ROMs on regular PCs as well. I think it should work provided your BIOS isn't too modern. You would want to dump from F000:0000 to FFFF:FFFF

However, if you have one of those fancy 1024kbit BIOSes, it could be a problem.

Reply 18 of 24, by Rauli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Too bad you don't have an eprom reader.

Did you try pcjrcart?

Unfortunately, the EPROM reader (well, writer) is still in my wish list...

I didn't use PCjrcart, but if it simply does a memory dump, I did it with http://www.bockelkamp.de/software/ BIOS utility. I attach the resulting file. There is another BIOS dump (obtained with an EPROM reader?) in http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … =817&menustate=

Both files differ in the 1st 23 Kb, but the rest seems to be the same, including the BIOS date at the end of the segment. In the 1st 23 Kb my dump contains text strings used in the SETUP utility. This strings are not contained in the other file (at least in uncompressed form).

Isn't there a Phoenix program equivalent to the Award or AMI flashing utilities? That would help to obtain the real EPROM chip contents. And of course, to reflash it if I need to do so.

Attachments

• Filename
    EXP4349.RAR
    File size
    42.47 KiB
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 24, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Rauli,

I've checked the tools to produce this EXP4349 Bios dump that I uploaded to VOGONS drivers.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … =817&menustate=

As per the commentary, it's Memdump.exe program. It was a part of FreeDos bootable floppy image:
http://darkswarm.org/biosdump/
The extraction project was made as per request here,

Trying to revive EXP4349, looking for a bit of help

the process of extraction is also described in detail.

By the looks of it it worked with no problem. What I know this board can surely create fantastic CPU compatibility poblems.
I launched it with a Ti 'SXL' 40 Mhz CPU that seems to be the original unit on this board (and 4x1 mb 30 pin simms.)

Perfection is the key. Fatality is the key. (c)