VOGONS

A humble Pentium III system

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I understand it what holds Katmai back is that the off-die cache chips can't keep up at higher speeds.
I don't have one to verify this but I read somewhere that the Pentium III 450 with sSpec SL35D was blessed with the same cache chips as used on the 600MHz Katmai and because of that it will run at 600MHz just fine.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 41 of 44, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

133 gave me 560MHz.

You must have set it to 112 MHz FSB there.

112MHz FSB gave me 500MHz. Seriously,POST reported it as 500MHz on 112MHz FSB.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 42 of 44, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote:

I've seen several times before strange CPU speeds being reported during POST by some motherboards, even if it was an underclock. I see it especially when using a chip that isn't recognized by the BIOS because the BIOS build date predates the CPU that it fails to correctly identify. So it might not even be the correct CPU frequency.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43 of 44, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

... I read somewhere that the Pentium III 450 with sSpec SL35D was blessed with the same cache chips as used on the 600MHz Katmai and because of that it will run at 600MHz just fine.

Yep:

12237517.gif

Let the air flow!

Reply 44 of 44, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
PcBytes wrote:

I've seen several times before strange CPU speeds being reported during POST by some motherboards, even if it was an underclock. I see it especially when using a chip that isn't recognized by the BIOS because the BIOS build date predates the CPU that it fails to correctly identify. So it might not even be the correct CPU frequency.

Yes, It is much more likely that the measurements are off, or human error, then that there is suddenly a Retail Pentium III with an inconsistent multiplier.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul