VOGONS

HP NetServer 4d/66LE

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have old 486 server(Opti chipset). It works with single memory module, but needs ECC/Parity
module. IIRC with regular modules, it only beeped.

Please post the big photo of memories that you have used. We would discover, it is ECC/Parity or not.

Reply 21 of 26, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A good place to find photos like that is ebay - even if you aren't going to buy there.
Does your computer take 30 or 72 pin RAM?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 22 of 26, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are four 72-pin slots.

Markings on memory I used are hard to see, especially on a photo. I'll describe them myself:

8-chip double sided

Each chip has markings:

TI -60
TMS417800DZ

VC 66A9E9 P (this marking is unique to each chip)

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 23 of 26, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is non-ECC FPM memory module.
But strange, every chip is 2M*8bit, hence at the every side 8*8 =64bits!
Regular modules used x4 chips. Probably some data pins just doesn't use in this module?
Or you have 8 chips total, 4 chips a the one side and 4 chips at the another side?

Anyhow, try to find ECC/Parity FPM modules(these modules have more than 8 chips(at the every
side) and ECC/Parity chips usually different than main chips.

Reply 24 of 26, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i386 wrote:

Or you have 8 chips total, 4 chips a the one side and 4 chips at the another side?

Right, 8 chips total, 4 each side.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 26 of 26, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had no idea this case type had an protective plastic plate! Vectra 5 XU is my favorite computer of all time. Sleek design, dual CPU, sadly the plastic quality is not that great. The little clips on the back dry out and snap after a lot of openings. Mine is in good shape besides the little plastic clips (That some one broke way before me anyway, on one side).
Sadly, I managed to find replacement motherboards for it but never any replacement cases 🙁

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"