VOGONS

First post, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Description: A partial restore of my first pc, it originally was one Athlon XP 2400+ with NVIDIA GeForce MX440 but i had to replace the CPU and VGA Card because of thermal damage on the original parts.
Build video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8Xi_cVhIIg
System Specs:
ASUS A7V8X-X.
Athlon XP 1700+ clocked at 1467 MHz.
512 MB Elpida DDR 400.
LG CD-ROM 52x Speed.
LG DVD-ROM 16x /CD-RW.
1.4MB 3.5 NEC Floppy Disk Drive.
Maxtor Fireball 3 30GB ATA 133.
NVIDIA GeForce FX5200.
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 4, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Private_Ops wrote:

Pretty nice. I have one of those boards in the closet. Decent no frills board.

I changed the HDD to on Maxtor DiamondMax 80GB and installed Windows XP.
I plan buy a new Athlon XP 2400+ because it was the original CPU on this computer but it has fried itself to death.
But thank you for the comment, the A7V8X-X is kind of working but sometimes when i power on the pc i hear a sound like one geiger counter then i need to shutdown and power on again and the BIOS says that overclock failed, but its running on the factory clock 🤣
Maybe i will be able to record the sound and post.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbsNU6EllqY

It only happens when its unplugged from the power for a period at least for 15 minutes or more.

Reply 3 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
.legaCy wrote:
I changed the HDD to on Maxtor DiamondMax 80GB and installed Windows XP. I plan buy a new Athlon XP 2400+ because it was the ori […]
Show full quote
Private_Ops wrote:

Pretty nice. I have one of those boards in the closet. Decent no frills board.

I changed the HDD to on Maxtor DiamondMax 80GB and installed Windows XP.
I plan buy a new Athlon XP 2400+ because it was the original CPU on this computer but it has fried itself to death.
But thank you for the comment, the A7V8X-X is kind of working but sometimes when i power on the pc i hear a sound like one geiger counter then i need to shutdown and power on again and the BIOS says that overclock failed, but its running on the factory clock 🤣
Maybe i will be able to record the sound and post.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbsNU6EllqY

It only happens when its unplugged from the power for a period at least for 15 minutes or more.

It kinda sounds like some mechanical issue, like a harddrive, FDD or an optical drive. Could also be some relay or something? Could even be a cable getting into the blades of a fan, though I'd doubt this would be the case in your case.

If you want to find out what it is, one way is to take off all panels off of the case, boot your rig and listen.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 4, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those boards, they are really stable and well behaved. I installed a weaker video card than that, a ECS SiS 315e 64 MB, it was the only board I had at the time that would drive that card. It worked like a champ and I still have all those parts packed together now. I'm sure I'll rebuild it one day.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME