VOGONS

My "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S

Topic actions

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, I hope this is the correct forum section, as I'm new here, I wouldn't want to post on the wrong section, but since it's a "system specs" break-through overview of my current MS-DOS "project", it should be fine, otherwise feel free to move on the right section 😊

I was "browsing" my home for old PC hardware to get started on my "Project 98" (A perfect, old-school, Windows 98 computer with MS-DOS dual boot) and I found this nice, shiny (well... after I dusted it off 🤣 ) and still working Olivetti M4 434 computer resting behind a couch (don't ask me why...) exactly like this:

frMUOES.png

So I took it, brought it downstairs, dusted it off and opened it to see what beauties that chassis was hiding inside and I found out that it had 3 empty "horizontal" ISA slots + an extra empty "vertical" one behind, 2 ram slots and a bunch of IDE slots.

Here are the specs I originally found it with the first time I opened it:

• Intel 80486 CPU;
  • 10 MB of RAM;
  • A broken 3-1/2 floppy drive (it didn't read any floppy disk);
  • A broken Quantum ProDrive (I think ? It's a Quantum for sure, but ain't sure if it's a ProDrive or a Fireball) hardisk (I have no idea how many MB it is, it's written nowhere and I couldn't make it work neither with a modern IDE-to-USB controller, it's completely dead);

(the PC speaker was still working fine, though 🤣 )

4RXz96s.png

So my "retrogamer" and "computer-fanatic" instincts made me wannabe to try to revive it... and I managed to do it (thanks also to my father's help, those ISA cards are so strong to insert and remove, I even cut myself removing one...) !!!

I changed the 3-1/2 floppy drive with a working one, I also changed the dead hardisk with a (roughly) 500 MB one (I also have an 8 GB one, but even though the BIOS detects it perfectly, when I try to boot from A: to install MS-DOS, it gets stuck at "C: SAMSUNG *model*", perhaps this motherboard has some problems with LBA drives ?), my father also found his old 5-1/4 floppy drive (I've never had the pleasure to use any 5-1/4 floppy disks as a child... better remedy now that I'm almost 21 🤣 ) and we added it, we tried to get a working IDE CD-ROM, but the BIOS seems to refuse to recognize it (although I haven't tried anymore after installing MS-DOS with the SAMSUNG CD-ROM drivers... if you're familiar with MS-DOS on VMWare, you probably know these ones...) so I'm currently using an external one from Creative via parallel port, I added a low-end sound card and yesterday I finally changed it with a much better one (today I installed the drivers and it's working perfecly well), currently it's missing a graphics card and despite the "power" of the 486 CPU makes almost any 2D game run perfect (well, at least the ones I tried so far...), it gets laggy with 2.5D and 3D games such as Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Exhumed (the only 3 "3D" games I've tried so far), although Ken's Labyrinth, which is also a 2.5D game runs perfectly smooth (I guess Doom, Exhumed and Duke Nukem 3D are a bit more complex even though they're not fully 3D like what would be Quake...) and so also does "One Must Fall 2097", even though it's a 2D fighting game, it's rather complex, but it runs perfectly smooth...
I also upgraded the RAM memory to 40 MB, which might be a bit overkill for a 486 machine, but since I'm currently missing a graphics card, it's some extra "fuel" to sustain certain games (even though Duke and Doom lag, they're still playable nonetheless).

So... these are the current specs of my "modded" Olivetti M4 454 S:

• CPU: Intel 80486 (obviously I can't upgrade it to a Pentium, the socket wouldn't let me 🤣 )
  • RAM: 40 MB total (2x10 MB) (I ain't sure exactly what kind of DDR that motherboard mounts)
  • Disk drives: 3-1/4 floppy disk on A:, 5-1/4 floppy disk on B:, Creative x32 CD-ROM Parallel port drive on D: with the "ASPI_CD" driver (hard work to make it work, but I did it !!!)
  • Storage: 500 MB IDE, not LBA, hardisk
  • Sound card: First I installed an Avance Logic (I dunno the exact model, I'll check and eventually update the post later), now I'm using a Creative Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3670 with 2 RAM sticks (I don't know how to check how much ram is installed and it's written nowhere on the sticks)
  • Graphics card: Still missing... I hope to find an ISA graphics card in my father's old hardware one day... or perhaps be able to purchase one which is fully compatible with my motherboard and MS-DOS 7.10
  • I use some gameport joysticks, one is an exact clone of the SEGA Genesis one 🤣
  • I also added a "capture card", it's a card with an S-Video out which, supposedly with a S-Video to RCA cable, I can connect to my Hauppauge HD PVR and record videos from it, but I haven't tried it yet...

So... yeah, that's my current status on my "MS-DOS Project" and I'm still working on it, I hope to get a perfect MS-DOS machine out of it one day (eventually I'll get a Pentium motherboard or I don't know...), but currently "as it is", it's running a lot of 2D games from Apogee flawless at up to 60 FPS (I have no actual way to calculate the FPS, since there's no thing like FRAPS for DOS, but "by eye" they are as smooth as 60 FPS, considering the monitor (Sampo AlphaScan 520) I must use with it, due to the lack of "full pins" VGA ports without a graphics card, probably has a 25-30Hz frequency) and some Epic MegaGames ones aswell (such as Jazz Jackrabbit and One Must Fall 2097).
Now that I got this Creative Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3670 working, I'll also try out some MIDIs and other cool stuff (I want to learn how "soundfonts" work and how to load them...) and I'll test more games while I keep upgrading this machine.

Ah yes... I currently didn't take any photo of the "current" status of the computer, but I will probably take some tomorrow, when I go to my father's home where I'm working on it 😢

Last edited by Elia1995 on 2016-05-28, 19:59. Edited 3 times in total.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 2 of 20, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, my father was a computer teacher in some kind of private school, he has a lot of old hardware (although I'm having problems to get a motherboard with full drivers support for Windows 98 😢 ), it's not hard to find a random motherboard somewhere at his home 🤣

Most important ones:

Reply 3 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quite enjoy reading from someone who has grown up on newer hardware playing with this old stuff like 1st time installing an ISA card, all those extra contacts do make them harder to get in and out.
Also DDR still seems new to me (I'm 36) Our 1st PC a 486 came with Fast Page ram, Next PC came with SD ram, DDR wasn't till many years later 😀

You've done well though, External CD-Rom's were harder to get working then internal ones in my experience and AWE cards are bit more tricky then generic SB16's
How fast is the 486? (Should say in BIOS or the post test) Something around a DX2 66 should run Doom fine. Earlier SX CPU's may struggle though.
Most 486 BIOS wont detect a CD drive, even less will boot from a CD.
Easyist way to test drives is use a Win9x boot disk, it was pretty good at detecting drives. Easy to download from here
http://bootdisk.com

Don't worry about the graphics card. ANYTHING works in dos. Some games do funny things on specific cards or more specifically chipsets, but worry about that once you've got the system up and running

Reply 4 of 20, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I assume the machine has an onboard vga, maybe it's faster than the Isa one you will install, be sure to benchmark before and after. It's not uncommon for these machines to have onboard VLB vga/ide controllers ...
Nice machine btw 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 20, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to my research the machine has a 486 DX2-50 cpu on a vlb board, the integrated video is a vlb cirrus logic CL-GD5428 and is already pretty fast.

An album from an italian guy:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11658686072897 … 722708551580673

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 6 of 20, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it runs some "fake 3D" games like Ken's Labyrinth perfectly, although it gets laggy with Doom, Blood and Duke Nukem 3D.

The 90% of the games I've tested so far are all very well playable, only downside is that the VGA connector in the board has one hole less than the average VGA connectors I have...

This is a normal VGA slot:

SVGA_port.jpg

And this is the VGA cable that Olivetti requires:

VGA_plugfd12fd61b3d6405ab6f0d7ad552dc1a8.png

As you can see, it doesn't have 15 pin VGA onboard, but only 14, thus I can't connect any VGA monitor or my capture card to it, that's another reason why I want to add a graphics card in it...

Last edited by Elia1995 on 2016-05-27, 16:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Most important ones:

Reply 7 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That pin doesn't do anything anyway
vga.gif

The common fix is to rip the pin out of a spare existing VGA cable and just use that up to your monitor

Reply 9 of 20, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps the chassis is the same and Olivetti just used it, filled it and then sold it as a series (hopefully with DV's license)

Most important ones:

Reply 11 of 20, by Olivetti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I couldn't see this and just move on without saying anything!.. I am 99.99% sure that it's the other way around. The Digital Venturis series are simply rebadged Olivetti M4 modulos, and not the other way around! Not only does this page ( http://archive.amdl.it/en/archive/view.asp?ID=8 ) show that Olivetti designers Michele De Lucchi and Mario Trimarchi had already thought of this case design in 1993, but also this isn't the first time DEC has rebadged Olivetti hardware. Here is a picture of a DECpc 425i ( http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/842249DECpc … XP2655clone.jpg ), a computer that is clearly a rebadged Olivetti using the widespread XP 2655 case design. Not only does this computer say "made in Italy" in the back, but it also uses an Olivetti-made motherboard and BIOS! As for what Olivetti that computer is a rebadge of, I'm not sure but it looks like an M300-30 from looking at the motherboard.

Reply 12 of 20, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

The common fix is to rip the pin out of a spare existing VGA cable and just use that up to your monitor

Well, I tried to do that, but other than just bending, I can't manage to pull that pin out of its socket.

I'll look in some stores if I can find a 14-pin VGA cable, or at least if there is some ISA graphics card....

Here's a picture I just took of that harassing 14-pin VGA slot on my M4 434 S, you can clearly see how that 9th pin is like covered...

6b31656d5a1348868450fde1847fdfc5.png

f4764ede46344beeb0fcd3187dab51d3.png

Most important ones:

Reply 13 of 20, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just bend the extra pin of a VGA cable-to-sacrifice a couple of times back and forth, it'll come out easily.
It's not guaranteed that it'll work with every modern TFT screen though, but with most (if not all) older CRTs.

Reply 14 of 20, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bent it back and forth for like an hour yesterday, yet it didn't pop out and started to bend other pins aswell with the pliers' edges... I'd feel safer to eventually find a VGA cable which is already 14-pin or an adapter with 14 pins on one side and 15 holes on the other (they do exist, but I can't find them anywhere...)

Most important ones:

Reply 15 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your being to kind to it! Bend, twist, pull at that stubborn pin!
In the end standard vga cables are cheap and easy to replace even if you do kill this one, finding a 14 pin one will take longer and probably cost more.

Reply 17 of 20, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, good news, I managed to find an old, huge 14-pin VGA cable with 15-pin female on the other side, so I'm now using it as an adapter AND IT WORKS !!! 😁 😁 😁

By the way, this computer has an 80486SX2 as CPU, not a DX2 as some said above.

I also found an S3 Virge graphics card, but I can't find a way to plug it in this PC, it has the same socket which looks a bit like a prototype PCI or whatever, but it's further inside, next to the ISA slot and I can't fit the GPU in there... (sorry if I don't call the slots by their correct names, but unfortunately I didn't actually grow up with these specific hardware, my first PC was a 1998 Windows 95/98 with DOS Pentium, I think and it had just PCI and ISA slots already.

I've just made a video with some games footage to show you its performance.

https://youtu.be/iwqtGFRIkCk (I can't embed the video)

EDIT: Comparing side by side my S3 Virge with a WinTV capture card, I've noticed that the pegs coincide so... perhaps that S3 Virge is just "PCI" ??? 😳
Tomorrow I'll try to stick it in my other DOS PC which doesn't have any AGP slots but just 3 free PCI slots, most games run just fine in there, but why not mount this card if I have it ? (It might help with Windows 95 in the future)

So yeah, this Olivetti will stay without graphics card for a quite longer time 😕

Most important ones:

Reply 18 of 20, by Ayrton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Off Topic now...
But I always HATED to destroy cables. I just get a metallic pin out of my compass for circles,
put it over the blocked hole in the motherboard female VGA connector and with three strong strokes
with hammer I moved the blocking pin further, deeply somewhere in the connector... 😀
Then I use a standard VGA cable.
I made it today, and disabling onboard Cirrus Logic GD5428 onboard VGA with J45 jumper, I used
a Diamond Stealth 64 1 Mb VESA LOCAL BUS video card, a 3COM Etherlink III 3C-509B-C ISA and a
Creative SoundBlaster Pro 2 ISA.
I installed DOS 6.22 then Windows 3.11 for Workgroup (adding TCP/IP protocol to make it working
in my home lan). Just used DOS Memmaker to free some conventional memory, and I have now back
a 486DX2/66 PC, that's the first pc I owned in 1994. Very funny!

Has someone installed a CD-ROM drive in that mobo?
I read somewhere about some issues...

Thank you, I hope someone will read this post...

BYE!

Reply 19 of 20, by Birovisky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Elia1995 wrote on 2016-04-21, 14:46:

First of all, I hope this is the correct forum section, as I'm new here, I wouldn't want to post on the wrong section, but since it's a "system specs" break-through overview of my current MS-DOS "project", it should be fine, otherwise feel free to move on the right section 😊

Do you still have some Olivetti Cabinet Case to sell me? Don't need working.