VOGONS

My "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by inc_b

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ayrton wrote on 2019-11-19, 05:55:

Has someone installed a CD-ROM drive in that mobo?
I read somewhere about some issues...

Thank you, I hope someone will read this post...

Recently bought a 464 and have been setting it up. I've never played with anything from this vintage so I'm making a lot of it up as I go.
I did manage to get a 32x CD ROM drive working on it with a few issues. At work right now so I can't remember all the details, I'll tell you what I can!

CD ROM is a Panasonic / Matsushita but the later type (circa '97 or '98) that didn't need to be connected via the soundcard. Finding the drivers was a struggle but I ended up finding a collection of drivers on Archive.org that had the specific one I needed.
Pretty sure I installed it as a slave on the same cable as the HDD (with the jumper set to "slave" not "cable select")

All the config.sys changes etc were made automatically by the driver installer so can't tell you much there. Major issue is that BIOS never seems to see the device and boot time has gone way up - my guess is that BIOS is trying to identify the device for a while before continuing with the boot. Once booted it works fine though, just a pain when you need to restart after something locks up which happens pretty often for me.