VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm back with another Pentium 4 rig,this time on a retro case quite common back in the days around here (now they're rare,almost as rare as hens teeth),the JNC RJA52. It's a white Deer case,just so you know.
Interesting enough,this model is still sold (albeit in colour combinations,such as blue with white) under the "JAR Computers" brand in Moldova (possibly,since some sites end in .md) and around some parts of Russia. That's what I know,it may be wrong though.

Anyways,here are the specs. This was originally a Sempron 2200+ system,based on the PCChips M825G,which actually isn't that bad.

Specs:

PSU:JNC LC-B300ATX - it's a robust one with PFC that I got for cheap. Someone did a awesome job at recapping,since I only see 2 Teapos and lots of Rubycons and Panasonics. Sadly it has a EI-33 transformer,but I got my eyes on a Premier LC-B400ATX for sale that has a 35 transformer so I can do some real nice mods,assuming that the platforms match.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 - another good motherboard. Came with a CPU that was dead. (no POST with that,another one works)

CPU: Pentium 4 2.8GHz Northwood Socket 478 - this one is the CPU that works. The dead one is a SL6DV Pentium 4 2.4GHz,also a Northwood.

RAM:2x 512MB DDR400 PC3200

GPU:Geforce FX5500 128MB - would have used a Radeon HD3450 but I guess the FX5500 is more than enough.

HDD: Maxtor 6E040L0 40GB - came with the PC. Had some corrupted XP install I don't care about.

ODD: Pioneer DVD-117 DVD-ROM and ASUS CD-RW drive.

NIC: RTL8139C - mobo doesn't have NIC integrated - supposed to be a Marvel Yukon

FDD:Alpine FDD 3.5"

OS: Longhorn Build 4074 - I plan on installing either 4074R2 or a i386 repack that uses the old XP setup routine (and takes MUCH less than R2)

EDIT:Pics attached.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 4, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

I like P4-HT Northwoods. 😀

This one isn't HT unfortunately. I do have a HT Pentium 4 at 3Ghz but it's a Prescott. I installed it on a more wilder board,the ASUS P4P800-E.

Also,after having a 8IPE1000 die previously (from a really crappy PSU) I thought of installing this one on a more calm setup 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, right. I almost forgot that the non-HT variant went as high as 2.8GHz. I guess yours is the top of the line. 😉

I also had a P4P800-E for many years. After it finally died, I replaced it with a P4C800-E.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 4, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

Ah, right. I almost forgot that the non-HT variant went as high as 2.8GHz. I guess yours is the top of the line. 😉

I also had a P4P800-E for many years. After it finally died, I replaced it with a P4C800-E.

Heh. I had to recap my P4P800-E due to the OST caps near the CPU socket being blown. It works perfectly now,I used some Panasonic caps 😁

As for the Gigabyte...well it is in need of a recap too,since I'm a bit unsure about the Nichicon HM 3300uF caps it has. (if you don't know,HM and HN caps from Nichicon had this problem from 2001 until 2004 where they would bulge because of heat. 2005 ones are almost safe (I have some bad ones somewhere in a box though) and 2006 onwards are 100% safe.)but 06 onwards they're rock solid.

EDIT: Anyways,I've just recapped the Gigabyte. Somehow,a Nichicon near the CPU socket already began to bulge (it was sightly bulged). No matter,since I've replaced them all with good Rubycon MBZs out of a Gigabyte 7VT600 motherboard that had caps made a year earlier to the 8IPE1000.

Now it runs without any problems,just need to install Longhorn 4074,and I know the easiest way to do that... 😀

Meanwhile,I'm trying to get a newer Deer PSU called "AO" model LC-8460BTX that has a 120mm fan. Just so you all can stay calm about Deers,most of my stuff (except low power ones like LC-B450Es and a few older 400w models such as the LC-C400ATX) is recapped and modded as soon as I get it. The only one I didn't really care about was a P&O LC-B350ATX that had a PCB with a EI-28 main transformer. That one was pretty anorexic,so I just swapped my ol' modded Deer (a noname one,it came to me originally with absolutely no sticker) in it and changed the AC receptacle while at it.

Here's a picture of the PSU in question. I know it's not the same name as the AO (this one is a Smart Tech,I've seen some cool names such as Torent Computers - a IT store in Constanta,Romania) but you get the idea how it looks. And who knows,an Allied might be hiding under that cover,and Allieds are the high end line of Deer,which I would totally trust. 😀

sursa-sursa-smart-tech-lc-8460btx-450w-20-4mb-4-cpu-1xsata-4xmolex-1~1564.jpg
Filename
sursa-sursa-smart-tech-lc-8460btx-450w-20-4mb-4-cpu-1xsata-4xmolex-1~1564.jpg
File size
125.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception