VOGONS

Core2 Q9550 Daily Driver

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm actually typing this on an ASUS Zenbook (UX305 with Core M3 6Y30) - it's actually quite decent for everyday use. Sure it's only 900mhz base clock but it supposedly goes to 2.2ghz in turbo mode and it's more than enough for what I expect from a laptop 😀

I agree that it would be nice if AMD could provide better competition though! Monopoly is never a good thing.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 21 of 25, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
MMaximus wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Wow what a mess of a pc.

Care to elaborate? I know that the cables are a bit all over the place but it's clean and in good nick... 😕

All the wires. Not trying to be rude or anything. But can anyone tell witch wire goes were with out tracing it?
And all the wire mess will choke the air flow in that already low air flow case.
Also all the wires all over the place will attract and hold dust.
You do have some nice hardware there. I like 775 system a lot.

Reply 22 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

But can anyone tell witch wire goes were with out tracing it?

It's pretty obvious in most situations. In most neatly organized cases I have seen, the wires are all carefully tucked and tied in one place, which makes it even harder to know what goes where, and God forbid if you actually need to remove/replace/add a cable.

Jade Falcon wrote:

And all the wire mess will choke the air flow in that already low air flow case.

This is a largely imaginary problem. I doubt anyone ever did any research to show how much difference it makes, and it would probably be 1-2C difference, tops.

Jade Falcon wrote:

Also all the wires all over the place will attract and hold dust.

Not really. Dust settles mostly on the fins of the heatsinks, the fans, and the PCBs. Large chunks of dust may be caught on the wires, that's true, but they tend to accumulate at the bottom of the case, and are rather harmless.

All in all, a messy case just doesn't look nice, that is all. Any claims that it affects operation are mostly unsubstantiated. Unless, of course, the mess is extreme as to actually block airflow, or have cables caught on other components / fans.

As I said, all my desktop systems look pretty much like this, and none has had extreme dust issues or any overheating issues at all. I do tie groups of cables in various locations, to prevent them from hanging too loosely or getting in the way. This actually makes it easier to work with if you ever need to add a cable or reroute one, compared to the super-neat cases where everything is tied down with very little flexibility.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 25 of 25, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yet another 775 daily driver.
This actually started life as a CCTV server but once the hard drive died they decided to replace the entire system to digital. At the time (2012) I was using a Compaq stock standard D510 P4 2.? (also 2nd hand) Lack of HT and struggling to play youtube was what forced that system into retirement.

Cant rember the exact specs of my "new" PC when I first got it
M/B: P5KPL-AM
CPU: E5200 2.50 Ghz Upgraded to Xeon x3320 2.50Ghz I pulled from a dead HP server just casue I could
RAM: Maybe 2GB? Upgraded to 2x 2GB OCZ PC2 8500 DDR2 in 2014
Video: Some lower end graphics card, Which I removed for some reason and used on board till 2014 and upgraded to ASUS GTX590
HDD: Swapped the dead drive for 2 nothing special 500GB drives I picked up free from somewhere
PSU: Some Generic thing upgraded to Corsair AX1200 as the GTX590 needed something better
Sound: onboard till 2014 then SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion.
OS: WinXP x64 (still has the OEM sticker with key on the case) Installed WinXP x32 when I had it then upgraded to Win7 after IE8 wasn't really usable.
Case: some generic but ok-ish case, Upgraded to a Corsair Obsidian 650D in 2014 for better airflow

You may notice a lot of upgrades happened in 2014 this is when I got into Farming Simulator 2013 the only somewhat recent game I play, until then it was just for basic web, word, general non gaming type stuff.
A lot of the nicer parts like the case, video, sound, PSU are really for future builds I have planned but prices haven't dropped enough to complete those systems.
I also got another ex CCTV machine from the same company, same motherboard but in a nicer Antec case that went to my P2B-DS build. Its not a bad board, nothing fancy either but on board everything still works