VOGONS

reclaimed K6-3

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I took my K6-3 back from my buddy. Have to do some work to it but I'll get pics.

My FIC PA2013 is dead, his cat was sleeping inside the case, as well as the voodoo banshee (used it as a coaster).

The k6-3 has been transplanted into an epox MVP3C2 board and am using a before 3 ti 500 for now.

Also all 3 128mb sticks are dead sadly

Buddy won't store anymore of stuff

Last edited by candle_86 on 2016-05-30, 16:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cats are the ultimate ESD hardware nukedestructors, your buddy should've been aware of that 😜.

But at least you still got your K6-3, which is nice to have and a bit easier to setup compared to a +.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, that stinks. Sorry to hear that.
I know the destruction that can be wreaked by felines; my cat is particularly dangerous not only because he would not hesitate to sleep in a computer case, but he would also almost certainly chew up all the wires in it. He likes to chew on things, particularly valuable things (goodbye expensive HDMI cables and various tubes of antiseptic cream from the bathroom... sigh)

Good thing the processor wasn't nuked though. What do you plan to use it for?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stablity issues out of the MVP3C2 motherboard I think. I ran memtest and the memory i bought works, but windows randomly locks up.

Narrowed it down to either the motherboard or the cpu 🙁

I guess time to look for a good board, though an ATX would be convient like the PA2013

Reply 4 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MVP3c2 is good, my PSU was dying and didn't even know it, swapped it out and its running just dandy now.

Now loading 98SE drivers onto it.

Also what is the card type I'm looking for that has PS/2 ports that are useable without drivers?

I would like PS/2 instead of USB and finding a Serial Opticial mouse is nearly impossible.

On another note my AWE32 busted a capactior and now I guess I have to buy an iron to fix it, as well as my USB 2.0 card, and I guess I might as well fix my 7600GS.

Reply 5 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

some pics of it running will take better pics once i get it taken back apart so i can put it in a good case

Attachments

Reply 6 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:
MVP3c2 is good, my PSU was dying and didn't even know it, swapped it out and its running just dandy now. […]
Show full quote

MVP3c2 is good, my PSU was dying and didn't even know it, swapped it out and its running just dandy now.

Also what is the card type I'm looking for that has PS/2 ports that are useable without drivers?

I would like PS/2 instead of USB and finding a Serial Opticial mouse is nearly impossible.

On another note my AWE32 busted a capactior and now I guess I have to buy an iron to fix it, as well as my USB 2.0 card, and I guess I might as well fix my 7600GS.

Your board already has PS/2, you'll need a few cables to be able to use them though.

See link
For reference:

Standard Baby AT form factor.
UltraDMA-33 EIDE Controllers. (Up to 4 IDE devices).
Backwards compatible with PIO mode 3/4.
UltraDMA-66 supported on EP-MVP3C2 only.
* 66/75/83/95/100MHz Host Bus.
3x DIMM Slots for SDRAM.
384MB max. supported.
PS/2 connectors.
1 PS/2 mouse.

4 (32-bit) PCI, 2 ISA & 1 AGP.
AGP supports 1x and 2x modes.
Onboard cache.
512KB.

If it's an AT Pentium board, one can always assume it actually has PS/2, but anything clonewise prior to ATX will most likely need a cable for it (kinda like modern USB front bezel is attached to modern motherboards, only these would usually go to the back of the case instead of the front).

The cables themselves look like this one (often they have multiple connectors attached to a single L-shaped metal thingy that also takes a slot in the back of the AT case, just like AGP/PCI/ISA cards do)
0003689_pc-insert-ps2-port-2x4-pin-internal-motherboard-connector_400.jpeg

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Your board already has PS/2, you'll need a few cables to be able to use them though. […]
Show full quote
candle_86 wrote:
MVP3c2 is good, my PSU was dying and didn't even know it, swapped it out and its running just dandy now. […]
Show full quote

Your board already has PS/2, you'll need a few cables to be able to use them though.

See link
For reference:

Standard Baby AT form factor.
UltraDMA-33 EIDE Controllers. (Up to 4 IDE devices).
Backwards compatible with PIO mode 3/4.
UltraDMA-66 supported on EP-MVP3C2 only.
* 66/75/83/95/100MHz Host Bus.
3x DIMM Slots for SDRAM.
384MB max. supported.
PS/2 connectors.
1 PS/2 mouse.

4 (32-bit) PCI, 2 ISA & 1 AGP.
AGP supports 1x and 2x modes.
Onboard cache.
512KB.

If it's an AT Pentium board, one can always assume it actually has PS/2, but anything clonewise prior to ATX will most likely need a cable for it (kinda like modern USB front bezel is attached to modern motherboards, only these would usually go to the back of the case instead of the front).

The cables themselves look like this one (often they have multiple connectors attached to a single L-shaped metal thingy that also takes a slot in the back of the AT case, just like AGP/PCI/ISA cards do)
0003689_pc-insert-ps2-port-2x4-pin-internal-motherboard-connector_400.jpeg

oh im aware of that, but i tried to get it working last year, its dead, tested it with a volt meter, I get no power to it.

Reply 8 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

oh im aware of that, but i tried to get it working last year, its dead, tested it with a volt meter, I get no power to it.

I didn't know these PS/2 cards even existed. I know I looked for them from time to time and never found any solution I was really satisfied with.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Benchmarks are in from 3dmark

3dmark 99

3dmark 2000

Everest Home

Read: 218mb/s
Write: 101mb/s
Latency 307.6 NS

System
K6-3 333 @ 400mhz
Epox MVP3c2
256mb PC100 4 Bank Interleave
Diamond Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
20gb Western Digital 7200RPM IDE
Windows 98SE

Reply 11 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

Not happy with 98SE going to see if me will work better without random freezes

Could you please describe the lock-ups in more detail? What happens exactly and when? Is it totally random or when the system is doing something?
It might not have something to do with Windows (though of course it very well may be the case).

Lock-ups might very well be hardware related. If ME seems to also have similar problems, you could opt to troubleshoot your existing rig by temporarily replacing your components with test stuff (single memory module, Virge instead of the Voodoo 3, no sound card, temporarily underclock your CPU or swap it with say an Intel MMX chip or other K6-X. PSUs might also give similar issues).

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No its the os, I'm getting kernel level crashes hardware is fine passed prime95 12hours, 3 hours memtedt and 3dmark2001 on a loop.

Reply 14 of 33, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had locking up problems with my MVP3G5. After freezing in benchmarks I would reboot it, then it would lock up running
Scandisk at some random percentage. My motherboard had probably been sitting in the box for over 10 years and things like
connectors, cpu socket pins, etc get oxidised.
After a few good goes at reseating everything, especially the hdd cable connectors, it was a lot better. It probably needs more reseating though.

Had the same issue last night with my P4P800dlx, no post with any cpu. A few more goes at removing and inserting the cpu/s sorted it out.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 15 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:

Had the same issue last night with my P4P800dlx, no post with any cpu. A few more goes at removing and inserting the cpu/s sorted it out.

Heh, this was something I never even knew 🤣, even though I did the same thing (reinserting a couple times) with expansion boards and maybe memory modules.

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the state of the capacitors? A system that does weird things can often have weak capacitors, even if they look ok.

A bit of extra voltage can help with stability, so can under-clocking for test purposes.

There are LOTS of other things that can cause issues. Mostly RAM, but also little things like a dodgy IDE cable can mess up your retro time.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 18 of 33, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh the stability problems got solved by using a new psu. It's just lack of dos support. No ps2 or serial ATM because it's AT and finding 10 pin serial connectors locally is impossible. The BX solves that with built in ps2 ports and built in serial