VOGONS

Athlon vs Pentium 3 Tualatin

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by Alkhatri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
I agree with you on the Tualatin being not so terribly exciting, but imo it's the better system compared to Thunderbird for over […]
Show full quote
Arctic wrote:
I have an i815 Tualatin system, too. It is not as as exciting as an Athlon Thunderbird. Hey, you could have fun trying out the p […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

But in all seriousness, if you want an easy ride, go Tualatin with i815, but just watch out for those tall CPU heatsinks. These might be a bit more pricey though

I have an i815 Tualatin system, too. It is not as as exciting as an Athlon Thunderbird.
Hey, you could have fun trying out the pencil trick! In the Intel system you will be disappointed about the performance of the chipset, the 512MB limit (mine booted with even more but then crashed! huh?)

@Standard Def Steve
He doesn't need an Athlon XP to enjoy DDR, though 😀
It all depends on the chipset.

But as mentioned above - cooling a Thunderbird is a bitch 😁
@BSA Starfire
Dual Duron? 😕

I agree with you on the Tualatin being not so terribly exciting, but imo it's the better system compared to Thunderbird for overall use, especially if you simply want a system of that era going.

The CPU HSF for Tualatin is really something I underestimated at first, but with a bit of fizzling it's not much of an issue.

1400 Thunderbirds are a challenge to get running well, but once it is running it's all the more rewarding if you ask me 😁

Tualatin boards with DDR were always difficult to find, let alone cheap. I got only a single s370 boards from an OEM and it's a Coppermine board and I purchased it even though it had a broken cap (but somehow no goo on top of the cap? But at least it had DDR slots and I was just happy to finally having one).

I actually experimented with the pencil trick 🤣!
Don't remember what it was I was doing exactly, probably mostly trying out all kinds of weird stuff and it was then when I found out the Thunderbirds used some kind of trick to get those final upper CPU multipliers. Dunno how things are now, but I think 12x or 12.5x was the most one could get out of a penciltricked Thunderbird?

i815 was considered the better chipset, but I still decided to get my hands on virtually all Tualatin capable board I could get cheaply.

Overclocking a thunderbird might burn your House 🤣

Reply 21 of 35, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You dont need 650 watt of a power supply.. Thats asking for wasting current and your money. Most important is that the 5 volt rail has enough amps..

Dont expect to find an nforce 2 board easilly.. Iam looking those for myself too.. But because there is alot scrapped you wouldnt easy find one if you have to much requirements.

And not all pentium 4 platforms are bad.. Specially the north wood platform is just fine.. Only the first pentium 4s where really bad performers, also the s775 counterparts where very power hungry parts and also running hot.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 22 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alkhatri wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shuttle-AK32V-ATX-PC- … dIAAOSwLqFV8ty6 ^ Is this motherboard good enough or should I go with a more exp […]
Show full quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shuttle-AK32V-ATX-PC- … dIAAOSwLqFV8ty6
^ Is this motherboard good enough or should I go with a more expensive motherboard (MSI)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-NEW-Powork-650w … zcAAOSwoudW5t8M
^Is this power supply good for an Athlon Machine?
BTW I chose a Athlon XP 1600+ and the Operating system might be Windows ME or 2000

A Powork PSU...sounds legit 🤣

Not much info available, but if it has high 5v rails...that might be the only reason to even consider it (though I'd still be very suspicious of this PSU and its brand). Otherwise I wouldn't trust it unless I'd find solid info it's not some El Cheapo brand.

The motherboard looks to be an early sA board, you'd be better off with at the very least KT333 (the variant that supports 333MHz FSB) but KT600 or KT880 would be better.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

You dont need 650 watt of a power supply.. Thats asking for wasting current and your money. Most important is that the 5 volt rail has enough amps..

Dont expect to find an nforce 2 board easilly.. Iam looking those for myself too.. But because there is alot scrapped you wouldnt easy find one if you have to much requirements.

And not all pentium 4 platforms are bad.. Specially the north wood platform is just fine.. Only the first pentium 4s where really bad performers, also the s775 counterparts where very power hungry parts and also running hot.

I have to agree here with the P4 part. I was one of those Netburst disbelievers and even though I still don't like most of these chips, after I'd build a Northwood myself and having used a couple Netburst systems, Northwood isn't actually very bad. Still runs hotter that Barton though, but because it uses the 12v for power instead of the 5v required by the vast majority of sA systems and because it has a superior HSF mounting mechanism.

Other advantages include the Intel chipsets usually being a no-brainer (kinda like Scali already mentioned above) and the SATA ports on my board simply worken, while the ones in my KT600 rig gave all kinds of problems, resulting in me settling for a SATA drive with SATA2IDE adapter (yes it ran slow 🤣! But it worked! 😁).

I wasn't very thrilled about NForce 2 though, but I think this has more to do with personal preferences (both NForce and VIA KTXXX have advantages and disadvantages when comparing the 2 with each other).

Report spammers here!

Reply 24 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alkhatri wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
I agree with you on the Tualatin being not so terribly exciting, but imo it's the better system compared to Thunderbird for over […]
Show full quote

I agree with you on the Tualatin being not so terribly exciting, but imo it's the better system compared to Thunderbird for overall use, especially if you simply want a system of that era going.

The CPU HSF for Tualatin is really something I underestimated at first, but with a bit of fizzling it's not much of an issue.

1400 Thunderbirds are a challenge to get running well, but once it is running it's all the more rewarding if you ask me 😁

Tualatin boards with DDR were always difficult to find, let alone cheap. I got only a single s370 boards from an OEM and it's a Coppermine board and I purchased it even though it had a broken cap (but somehow no goo on top of the cap? But at least it had DDR slots and I was just happy to finally having one).

Don't remember what it was I was doing exactly, probably mostly trying out all kinds of weird stuff and it was then when I found out the Thunderbirds used some kind of trick to get those final upper CPU multipliers. Dunno how things are now, but I think 12x or 12.5x was the most one could get out of a penciltricked Thunderbird?

i815 was considered the better chipset, but I still decided to get my hands on virtually all Tualatin capable board I could get cheaply.

They make great spaceheaters though, excellent winter-rigs 😁
Netburst is also good at this though, but most of the systems build with components after the XP/Netburst era were.

Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 35, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Netburst is also good at this though, but most of the systems build with components after the XP/Netburst era were.

A big difference between Pentium 4 and Athlon however is that Pentium 4 boards were designed with a separate 12v connector next to the CPU socket.
This made the power delivery much more reliable than the Athlon, where power had to come via the ATX-connectors on the motherboard, and routed all the way to the socket via the PCB.
I had problems getting a TBird 1400 working properly on some boards, because they just couldn't deliver the power via the PCB traces.
Pentium 4s just work, it's a no-brainer.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 26 of 35, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

A big difference between Pentium 4 and Athlon however is that Pentium 4 boards were designed with a separate 12v connector next to the CPU socket.

True, but I didn't mention this specifically since basically all systems since Netburst which use 12v for their CPUs have this separate 12v connector in some form or another.

Scali wrote:

This made the power delivery much more reliable than the Athlon, where power had to come via the ATX-connectors on the motherboard, and routed all the way to the socket via the PCB.
I had problems getting a TBird 1400 working properly on some boards, because they just couldn't deliver the power via the PCB traces.

The 12v power delivery for these 12v CPUs from the PSU also goes via the PCB via a connector coming from the PSU though. But in the long run I think it's for the best the main power comes from mostly 12v instead of mixing 12v and 5v, it makes power design simpler.

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of disadvantages, mostly in getting a new PSU running with sA.

Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 35, by Alkhatri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Alkhatri wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Show full quote

I live in UAE Where temperatures are really high 40C-60C even Walking outside makes me tired, Last year The temperatures were about 62C my friend passed out and his nose started bleeding Just from walking for 5 Mins outside 😵 He's okay nothing to worry about 🤣

Reply 28 of 35, by Alkhatri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
True, but I didn't mention this specifically since basically all systems since Netburst which use 12v for their CPUs have this s […]
Show full quote
Scali wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

True, but I didn't mention this specifically since basically all systems since Netburst which use 12v for their CPUs have this separate 12v connector in some form or another.

Scali wrote:

The 12v power delivery for these 12v CPUs from the PSU also goes via the PCB via a connector coming from the PSU though. But in the long run I think it's for the best the main power comes from mostly 12v instead of mixing 12v and 5v, it makes power design simpler.

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of disadvantages, mostly in getting a new PSU running with sA.

I might get a power supply from a local PC Shop but what i need is a Sata to molex converter

Reply 32 of 35, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Pretty sure that isn't true 😀
Both the boards I mentioned (MSI K7T Turbo and Asus A7V266-E) do not have the 12v connector. Yet they are from the same era as Willamette, which does.
In fact, I can't recall seeing any Socket A board that has it, I've only seen it on Athlon64 boards. Perhaps some late Socket A boards do have it, but most of them do not (don't forget, Socket A was introduced only a few months before Willamette).

Tetrium wrote:

The 12v power delivery for these 12v CPUs from the PSU also goes via the PCB via a connector coming from the PSU though.

Obviously.
But first, it is a dedicated connector, with special traces for ONLY the CPU socket.
Secondly, they can place it directly beside the socket, so traces can be much shorter.

Tetrium wrote:

Yes, newer PSUs are designed to deliver most of their juice via their various 12V connectors, with rails specifically for the CPU and for PCI-e connectors. The actual ATX connector to the motherboard doesn't need to deliver a lot of current anymore, so is likely not connected to a high-power rail. This makes feeding a CPU of 70+W problematic.
So you'd rather want a single-rail PSU for such old, powerhungry systems, but they're rare these days.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 33 of 35, by Alkhatri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-1600-Plus-Athlon- … zEAAOSwWnFWAvWN
^Should I use this PC? It has everything that i need expect for the GFMX in it and the 30GB Hard drive

Reply 34 of 35, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) Yes, it should be okay at 133 mhz FSB (stock for that chip). Keep in mind that boards of this era were affected by various waves of capacitor plague, so you may be looking at cap replacement down the line.
2) I think you can do better than this.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 35 of 35, by sacri

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

o/ Tualatin.

Running my current 1.4 @ 1.6 and could go even faster. I'm coolling it with leftover water cooler from socket a era. It runs nice in TUSL2-c mobo along with v5 5500 and aureal sq2500. I'd go with Tualatin+tusl just because of stable, not easy to to burn and agp1-4x compatibility.
It is nice when all 'just works'.