VOGONS

First post, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Guys! I received this beautiful laptop. It was almost pristine. It features a 133 mhz Pentium MMX Processor, 16mb ram onboard (plus 8mb edo sodimm), C&T 65554 2mb video, CD-ROM drive (no floppy drive 😢 ), and a dead 1.4gb hdd.

2zz6pg2.jpg

6j1ymd.jpg

I started taking a look at this beauty and I noticed it was something like bricked. It was impossible to enter to bios settings or anything. So I started dissasembling the whole machine and found two dead and leaking Ni-MH batteries. One 7.2v pack for RTC and one 3.6v pack for CMOS. I disconnected those and voila! The laptop resurrected from ashes! Then I replaced the hard disk. I put in it a 6gb IBM hdd which was almost new. Then I installed win95. Everything went like a breeze. Here formatting:

29mkfpg.jpg

But I had to find a solution for the RTC/CMOS batteries issue. I couldn't find any similar batteries to use. So I took a close look at the space under the palmrest and I noticed that my unit doesn't have RJ11/RJ45 board. So I could use that space to fit a board which contains CR2032 cells with their respective diodes to prevent charging. I ran some tests and found that the machine would save settings perfectly with more than 5v for RTC and more than 2v for CMOS. BINGO! Two CR2032 batteries in series for the RTC and just only one for CMOS.

I ended designing a little board which contains the three batteries, two diodes and a connector. It's working like a charm!

Pics:

The little and simple design:

34pnxhw.jpg

Ready for iron:

oqeset.jpg

Now ready for cleaning and throwing the board to the acid:

ixf5nr.jpg

I applied flux (or some kind of rust protector for boards, I don't really know it's name. Here is sold by the name "flux") and this is how it looks while it dries:

2l9jz0z.jpg

Component side:

2vwsoki.jpg

Solder side:

b7m1ph.jpg

And here I'm running some tests.

o8tb2t.jpg

Next step: disassembly the entire laptop to clean plastics and search for signs of rust, leaking caps or anything that could potentially damage this neat machine.

Hope you liked it! 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmmpff... I've got the same (or mostly like) machine. Mine is working, pulled it out of a moving box 2 weeks ago, after being there for the last 5 Years. So when I see this I thin I should also opening it to see what's going on.....

Nice Work indeed.

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, that's a well designed battery pcb! 😁
Just one hint: Normal silicon diodes have a voltage drop of about 0.7v .
You can use this to your advantage if you want to power a device which requires a lower voltage.
And if you connect them in a line, you can lower the voltage even more. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you guys!
In this case I used germanium diodes to lower the voltage drop as much as possible. I thought about using more cr2032 batteries to reach the original 3.6/7.2 volts rating, but that was impossible since the laptop has room for this three batteries only. So far I haven't ran into any issue. Hour and settings are ok with 2.5/5.3v. With brand new batteries I think this will stay at around 2.7/5.7v (didn't measured the voltage drop of this diodes yet)

Reply 4 of 6, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool! I have a 460CDT, almost the same. Does yours have the OPL3-SA3 sound card? I've been really pleased with the one in mine, sounds really good.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 6, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it has the same sound card! I think the main differences between your laptop and mine are the cpu and display. My display is an awful passive matrix screen. Not really suitable for games 😢

Reply 6 of 6, by ramiro77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought new CR2032 batteries today and dissasembled the entire machine. Some pics 😀

168vtxs.jpg

2sbtj43.jpg

nnppw4.jpg

Yes, I'm going to clean every single key and button. I don't want any dirt from previous owner/s. I must admit this laptop is very clean though. The motherboard is pristine. I couldnt find any sign of dust, rust, leaking caps or anything. But I will change some lythics just for precaution, especially those in the internal power supply.

There will be more in the next days. Also I need to take care of my desktop Pentium. I have it dissasembled at my desk 😵

PD: Sorry for crappy pictures. My moto G just sucks.