VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The gist of this build:

The 486 is an awesome processor for building a DOS retro gaming PC. Often I see people build the "ultimate" 486, using PCI motherboards, 133 MHz AMD processors, maybe a Cyrix 5x86, ultra fast 60 ns memory and modifications for 512 KB Cache.

With prices spiraling out of control I wanted to build an "average" 486. Now the prices thing went out the window because of all the Roland gear, but at least that is a one-off purchase 😀
Every project should have a focus, so for this one the theme are playing classic DOS adventure games from Maniac Mansion (PC Speaker), Last Crusade (Adlib) to Space Quest III (MT-32) all the way to high resolution games such as Larry 7 (General MIDI)

The finished build:

I90tvr8l.jpg

CnqrYyRl.png

Motherboard:

I found this Biostar 486 motherboard at work. It was covered in Dust (I live in rural Australia, basically in the desert) and looked neglected. I took it home maybe 2 years ago, cleaned it and it was fully working. I de-soldered the RTC chip, soldered in a socket and put in a new Dallas from eBay. I got a pack of 10 at some point. With the cache I always aim for 256 KB because it's the easiest. You just got to buy 9 of the same chips and you're good to go.

8 MB of memory. 70 ns, nothing fancy.

The board doesn't have PS/2, is VLB and has a nice BIOS.

yQ7Tx6Pl.png

B6KZZhel.png

c3wTxIkl.png

9zWxXiwl.png

I am using an ATX to AT adapter:

bDQSc2ul.png

CPU:

Keeping it simple I went with a 486DX 33 MHz. A great CPU, faster than I thought. It performs roughly twice as fast as a 386DX 33 MHz. Using the turbo function as well as disabling the internal cache through software or BIOS and you can slow it down to 386 and 286 levels. A few games did run too fast (Loom has sped up animations, so did Cruise for a Corpse). And Monkey Island sounds off for example.

RGGZKicl.png

DzDWDznl.png

Graphics card:

A VLB card with Cirrus Logic chip. I can't remember buying this one, maybe it came with a bulk purchase? It is missing some memory, I really got to buy myself a bunch of memory, a lot of my cards have missing memory and they all seem to be the same type as I can just interchange. The image quality is decent and performance too. CL cards are great value.

9UNCnTbl.png

Controller card.

Another product I don't remember buying. The jumper table is silk screened at the back, VERY useful. I disable the second serial port and the parallel port as well as the game port. It has a single IDE port, Floppy port and I use the serial port for a mouse. It worked fine, at the beginning I got some HDD errors, but re-seating the card fixed that!

zcvXZ1el.png

Sound card:

Nothing fancy, a cheap PnP Sound Blaster 16. It doesn't have a OPL3 chip, but who cares, most of the games support MT-32 or General MIDI. Does have the hanging note bug, but I am using a separate MIDI card anyway, so this isn't an issue. The card is very clean and simple. Quiet, little noise. Doesn't have controls for bass and treble. I route the PC speaker using two cables, the memory ticking sound during booting sounds very nice 😀

I write a bit about the mixer and resources later if you're interested!

gHErn7Ml.png

IhXwngil.png

YaczGPDl.png

MIDI card:

So glad I got this card many years ago. Prices are crazy, so it's always a special occasion to use it. There are alternatives such as SoftMPU and clone cards.

8qX5us6l.png

MIDI modules

Roland MT-32 (Old) and Sound Canvas. These really bring these old adventure games to life. Can be substituted by running Munt and SoundFonts on another computer, but the way I see it, once you have them, you are set. Well worth the investment.

yHFrHF8l.png

lVs3EIGl.png

Storage:

An IDE optical drive. I chose this one because it has a headphone output. This lets you route the audio to the mixer (more about the mixer later) to balance speech with music. A 32 GB CF card is great for DOS games. And of course, the GOTEK floppy emulator, I don't know how I would cope without it 😀
I have a 1000 image thumb drive will everything I need. DOS, drivers, starter pack, benchmarks. Apart from the games, I set up the entire machine from a single USB.

jqUUW7Fl.png

PS/2 adapter for the keyboard:

e1LXJmml.png

Serial mouse, works quite well actually, even though it's not optical:

yXi2XROl.png

My 4 channel stereo mixer:

I got this one maybe 2 or 3 years ago. Works great. You can mix the Sound Blaster, MT-32, Sound Canvas and CD Audio and balance the volume on the fly.

XpTFr7dl.png

Speakers:

Great 2.0 speakers from Creative.

AMnzkVFl.png

Software:

The machine has a 500 MB BIOS limit. So I use Ontrack to get around this. It creates a single 32 GB FAT 32 partition:

Ktft9Avl.png

MS-DOS 7.1

I got a boot disc from bootdisc.com. A bit dodgy, but that site has been up and running for ages, I doubt Microsoft will do anything about it 😀
Sys c: installs the system files. Then I just copy all the files to C:\DOS

Emm386.exe is not on the boot disk, so I stole it from a Windows 98 SE machine.

oVDy2lXl.png

88m06iLl.png

Boot menu / starter pack

You can download this from my website. Pre configured autoexec.bat and config.sys with options geared for gaming. Pretty much every game should work. It also installs mouse and CD-ROM driver. Thinking of creating an installer for easy installation rather than manual copying.

OzBCsAWl.png

Sound Blaster drivers

When you install MS-DOS 7.1 from a boot disk, all the Sound Blaster drivers will work. This is not the case if you're running Windows 98 SE and using MS-DOS mode!
Two disks are needed. SBBASIC for the main drivers and CTCMBBS for the plug and play configuration manager:

Zs732nfl.png

Run mixerset to mute line-in, CD and microphone inputs for a clearer output signal:

4TKmLAWl.png

Run CTCU to re-configre resources of the Sound Blaster 16. I change the interrupt to 7 and the MIDI address to 300:

1rgb277l.png

And that's it! Time to play some adventure goldies:

CnqrYyRl.png

Topics for discussion

What's a good source for graphics card memory chips? A lot of my cards have empty slots that I would like to fill.

2.0 speakers vs. 2.1 speakers with sub. I feel that 2.0 speakers sound more "retro".

Some games ideally are played with a CM-32L, CM-64 or LAPC-I. For example in Monkey Island 2 some sound effects will sound richer.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 35, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

What's a good source for graphics card memory chips? A lot of my cards have empty slots that I would like to fill.

I too would like to know. I have a vrige I wha t to max out so that I can run 3dmark2000 on.

Reply 2 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice build, love watching your youtube channel, if u end up getting around to doing that easy installer send me a link to it, also what windows are u running on this?

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 3 of 35, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like a winner, Phil.

I too have been looking for the "right" parts for a 486 build. Nothing fancy or high-end. Just want to mimic my first PC so something like a Dx-2 50 or 66.

Thanks for sharing, and great work as usual!

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 4 of 35, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

nice build, love watching your youtube channel, if u end up getting around to doing that easy installer send me a link to it, also what windows are u running on this?

Thanks 😊

There is actually no Windows installed. The splash screen comes with MS-DOS 7.1. I believe there is a way to supress it, I just didn't bother with it.

petro89 wrote:

Looks like a winner, Phil.

I too have been looking for the "right" parts for a 486 build. Nothing fancy or high-end. Just want to mimic my first PC so something like a Dx-2 50 or 66.

Thanks for sharing, and great work as usual!

You can save quite bit by going with something "average". Although with prices the way they are, even "average" can cost a bit 😢

Reply 5 of 35, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

thats a great machine, probably the ideal machine for Wing Commander, I think just about any pre Doom game will run beautifully on this system (Doom should be ok too , but obviously would benefit from a DX2 or more).

its crazy how hard to find 486 parts are around here , it rarely shows up and when it does its not cheap , which is one of the main reasons Ive yet to build one (for now my Pentium Pro 200 is my main DOS/Win95 machine)

Reply 6 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VLB controller AND video!
From what I've read its not as easy as it sounds as VLB cards don't like working together.
DX 33 is an interesting choice as your already hitting speed issues, Any specific reason?
I'd at least go to DX2 66, or maybe a 486 SX if you want a 386 with extra grunt, All depends what you want to play I guess. Either way good to see these unloved CPU's getting some time in the spot light 😀

Reply 7 of 35, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote:

Either way good to see these unloved CPU's getting some time in the spot light 😀

That was the main idea 😀

DX2 66 will definitely get a project one day. I'm sticking with DOS for the next few projects, mostly software type projects, how to install, type of guides.

Reply 10 of 35, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

I like the monitor.

Which model is it? 5:4 ?

Forgot to include it. Yes it's a 19" 1280 x 1024 monitor.

h7PLBhOl.png

carlostex wrote:

Hey Mr. Hardware Mod i think you hit the edit rather than the quote button. 🤣

Off to a good start 😊 🤣

Reply 11 of 35, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice! I agree about 2.0 speakers for retro DOS. I have a pair of beige Gateway Altec Lansings that have good volume, bass and treble, more than adequate without a sub-woofer. They've got a headphone jack which can add another dimension too. One day i would like to get into 486 and earlier systems. I limit myself to what I can find or be given, and no luck yet with anything earlier than P54C so far.

Thanks for the write-up and pics. Very interesting!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 13 of 35, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

Still about the monitor:

Can you manually adjust V-H position? Does it have an automatic screen adjustment?

Slightly off topic, but relevant to building a retro PC, I'm actually also looking into getting an LCD 4:3 (square) monitor for my older PC's that still runs via VLB or ISA graphics cards.
Although I have plenty of CRT monitors (two 17", one 15" and two 14"), they just take up too much space and the larger ones are quite bulky.

My "daily driver" is still a Samsung SyncMaster 2233 (22.5") wide screen LCD, but have noticed that on PC's with either VLB or ISA graphics cards, it sometimes displays "distortion" across the screen (almost like in the "old days" when someone took a video of an image being displayed on a CRT monitor - which, if memory serves correct, is essentially just the refresh rate being picked up on the video). With PCI (and newer) graphics cards, I don't notice this "distortion".
What carlostex has alluded to, I'm also thinking it might be related to the newer wide screen LCD monitors that doesn't quite support the older display standards (resolution, ratio, etc.).

Back to the topic, I've always thought a 486DX 33 MHz to be a great CPU for early 90's DOS games. However, I've been thinking on rather using a Cyrix 486DLC 40 MHz instead of a 486DX 33 MHz (purely for nostalgic reasons, since it was the first PC I bought for myself and they tend to be more or less on par with each other in terms of integer performance).

Could the "sped up animation" issue perhaps be related to the VLB graphics and IDE controller cards?
The VLB graphics cards do tend to run much faster (even in de-turbo mode) than a standard ISA graphics card.
Maybe pop in a standard 16-bit ISA graphics card and see whether you still experience the same problems in "de-turbo" mode?

Reply 14 of 35, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build Phil!

I'm in the process of collecting parts for a 486 build - mine will be non-VLB though (16-bit ISA only). I've secured almost everything so far, including an ET4000 1MB card and my old CT3900 AWE32 - all I'm missing is cache chips, RAM and a IDE/Multi-IO card. The IO card has been tough to get hold of for less than 15eur and with the features I need, and the cache chips are pretty expensive!

It'll be a fun project once all the parts are here though!

Reply 15 of 35, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't really argue with the CPU choice from an 'adventure games' point of view but, given I was never into those, I would eschew any low-end 486 in favour of at least a DX2-66/80 every single time, purely from a versatility point of view. If you're going 486, I think it should cover an era, not a genre. VLB is somewhat pointless at the lower end of the 486 spectrum, and the system won't play Doom at anything like an acceptable framerate. Trouble is, I say this as a person who own 3x socket 3 boards with a choice of ISA, VLB and PCI, and pretty much all the CPUs as well. I forget that most people have only one (as in your case) or none of these systems available to them, so they make the best of what they've got. And you've definitely done that.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 16 of 35, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks really nice 😀
Very cool and authentic build. I love the VESA localbus. When I get time and energy, I will rebuild my main retro rig and try to get my VESA stuff working. It's always been the penultimate 486-era bus in my opinion.
And I totally support your idea of a system for adventure games... It's my favourite genre as well.
Amazing sound setup with the Roland boxes 😀
I have the little brother of your speakers that I use for gaming and such, and I find them surprisingly good.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 17 of 35, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That system would also play games like Ultima 7 and the Ultima Underworlds really well. Other similar RPGs too--Wizardry 7, Might and Magic 3-5, and flight sims of the early 90s: Aces of the Pacific, Aces over Europe, Red Baron.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 18 of 35, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that's a very nice-looking build. Well done. I wish I had the time and money to make builds like that... sigh.

And I see you've been made a mod, Phil! Congrats, you've earned it for a long time now.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 19 of 35, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
The finished build: […]
Show full quote

The finished build:

I90tvr8l.jpg

Running a case-less setup seems like a terrible idea. Other potential problems aside, is there not a concern that some expansion cards were actually designed to ground to the chassis?