VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometime in the last decade, I took a Craigslist drive to some guy's house, who had an IBM PC/XT he wanted to get rid of for $50. He did not know if it worked, but I took it home and found out that it didn't work. The motherboard was dead and the fan did not come on. Fortunately the parts inside that machine did all work except for one of the 360KB floppy drives. I believe it came with a Monochrome or Color Graphics Monitor. I thought I needed some space and threw away the case, the motherboard and the bad drive, being rather ignorant of potential diagnostics at the time.

I have regretted throwing away those items ever since. Some years later, I managed to acquire a working late XT 256-640KB system board. However, without an available chassis to put them in, the motherboard and many of the parts languished unused and unloved in my card box. I could make the system work, but it would be exposed to the elements and have little support for the cards, not a very practical way to maintain it.

This year, I managed to acquire a decent AT tower case from a guy who had a lot of excess parts to get rid of. There was a 486 motherboard in there, but it was dead. My primary 486 computer inside was a fairly modern desktop AT case, but I prefer towers to desktops for systems of this vintage. So I transferred my 486 motherboard from the desktop to the tower and finally decided to put the XT in the desktop.

Someone may cry sacrilege, having IBM parts in a non-IBM case, but I had no choice. Here are the specs of this XT :

IBM PC/XT
NEC 8088 & Intel 8087
640KB RAM on System Board
IBM Color/Graphics Adapter (Modded to the old revision)
IBM Diskette Drive Adapter
IBM Game Control Adapter
IBM Asychronous (Serial) Commu nications Adapter
IBM Parallel Adapter
Western Digital 1002-WX1 Hard Disk Controller
IBM 320/360KB Half Height Drive
Seagate ST-225 20MB MFM Hard Disk Drive

I have the original power supply for the XT, which works but does not fit inside the case. I believe the Craiglist XT came with a non-LED Model M keyboard, so I am using that. I can also use my 83-key keyboard from my IBM PC (although I am likely to trade it).

Ideally I would like to put these parts back in a real IBM. I have an MDA and a Hercules card which I can use for a dual monitor setup and avoid CGA 80-column snow, but Hercules works best with a faster CPU and my MDA card has an oversized black bracket made for the wider expansion ports of the iBM PC.

20160605_224404.jpg
Filename
20160605_224404.jpg
File size
403.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20160605_224350.jpg
Filename
20160605_224350.jpg
File size
530.63 KiB
Views
File license
20160605_224341.jpg
Filename
20160605_224341.jpg
File size
465.04 KiB
Views
File license
20160605_224328.jpg
Filename
20160605_224328.jpg
File size
441.05 KiB
Views
File license
20160605_224319.jpg
Filename
20160605_224319.jpg
File size
410.48 KiB
Views
File license

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some more pics

20160605_224847.jpg
Filename
20160605_224847.jpg
File size
381.69 KiB
Views
File license
20160605_224416.jpg
Filename
20160605_224416.jpg
File size
578.56 KiB
Views
File license
The attachment 20160605_224404.jpg is no longer available

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

Someone may cry sacrilege, having IBM parts in a non-IBM case, but I had no choice.

What matters is to see the hardware being put to good use. I agree that an IBM case would be much better but it is what it is. This reminds me that i need to fix my 5160 motherboard. I should be doing that in a couple of months.

Reply 3 of 8, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats on your efforts; this thing really rose from its ashes - I second Carlos, who cares about the looks when it is a true XT at heart, ahem, inside 😀
My XT is even more of a hybrid, yet it works just like an XT of the age. (Except for the video, because I do not have a CGA or Hercules, so I fell back to a Trident 8900D and SVGA CRT.)

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 4 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jolaes76 wrote:

My XT is even more of a hybrid, yet it works just like an XT of the age. (Except for the video, because I do not have a CGA or Hercules, so I fell back to a Trident 8900D and SVGA CRT.)

More or less like mine.

I consider mine to be a very unusual Super XT, with lots of enhancements that the majority of XT's would never see. Not only it is very fast (for an XT 🤣) it is extremely competent memory wise (for an XT 🤣) and also storage wise. I just made an Internal ATAPI ZIP drive work on my system. 😀

Reply 5 of 8, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I have seen that, too. Could not help wondering on the magneto optical choice, though. Somehow reminds me of a conversation with Ian Watson at a sci-fi con ages ago - an ultramarine can use a millennia old gun relic with a 40th century stabilizer mod without a blink as long as it is untouched by Chaos... So by this analogy, if it does not have any Apple organ it is still a legitimate IBM model of sorts 😀

Great Hierophant's one is more orthodox than ours, surely it has the tech priests' blessing 😀

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 7 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The other thing I would like to do is to find a half-height hard drive faceplate for the ST-225, which is a half-height drive. The real XT case only supports full-height drives, although IBM did provide a mounting kit that works for the slightly-slim special floppy drive installed in the machine (it has an asterisk on the faceplate). For the ST-225, which works perfectly and has no physical errors, the full height face plate was used.