VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all!

I've finally managed to get myself a non-branded horizontal AT case! Here it is:

AsopS8x.jpg
iy7Ibar.jpg

I always liked these kind of cases, but they are somewhat hard to come by. You can easily find a branded desktop (IBM, Compaq), but those are not too flexible. You can also get an XT or 286 build, but those tend to be pretty expensive. So it took me nearly six months to get this case.

It's a Formoza computer — that's a Russian system builder that was pretty popular around mid-90s to mid 00-s. My other Socket 7 build is also in a Formoza case.

The original specs:
Pentium 133
16 MB EDO RAM in two sticks
a 1600MB Samsung WNR-31601A HDD
an 8x Samsung SCR-830 drive
SoundBlaster 16 Vibra CT2940 — sadly, non-OPL3

Wo6dP8q.jpg

Cirrus Logic GD-5446-based 2D card with a TV tuner:

FRi7Lyf.jpg

Formoza machines usually used Lucky Star motherboards, and this one is no exception — it uses a Lucky Star P54CE motherboard:

iUe4vzk.jpg

It's a 430VX, has 256 of L2 cache, 4x SIMM slots (no DIMM), only one IDE controller.

The newest part in this machine that has a timestamp on it is the Samsung CD drive, dated November 1996 — so looks like it's a late 1996/early 1997 machine. Now let's upgrade it.

First let's change a motherboard. The best option I have is another Lucky Star — a 5I-TX1:

EAXLDyM.jpg

As you can see, it's a bit wider than the board it came with, which made me concerned that the CPU will bump into the floppy drive. However, it has the same CPU socket placement, which worked out great:

6h7gJ0C.jpg

ypRK4kH.jpg

Now the specs are:

Pentium MMX 233
32 MB SDRAM
SoundBlaster AWE32 CT3990
4 MB Matrox Millenium 2
6,4 Gb Seagate U4 ST36421A HDD
52x Sony CRX230E CD-RW drive
3Com 3C905C-TXM NIC

Everything works great, I'm about to install Win95:

5NBsiHc.jpg

Guess, I finally have an excuse to get another screen. This 2004 17 inch Samsung 755DFX doesn't really fit the aesthetics! Currently deciding between 14 inch Samsung 3NE, 15 inch Hitachi CM500ET and a 100-series 15 inch Sony Multiscan (like a 100SF).

The only issue I have is the fact that turbo LED/button do not work. The motherboard doesn't even have turbo switch pins. The previous motherboard had them, but ironically, the wires were too short and were not attached. Here are the pins:

K0OyUgB.jpg

It has turbo LED (TULED) pins, but for some reason the Power LED (3 pins) only works when attached to last TULED and first ATX pin. Any idea what's wrong here?

BTW, I also have an AT keyboard with a Turbo button. What do I need for the function to work?

Last edited by jheronimus on 2016-06-13, 10:06. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Horizontal case" hehe I haven't heard that one before!

Usually "desktop case", compare with "tower case".

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

"Horizontal case" hehe I haven't heard that one before!

Usually "desktop case", compare with "tower case".

I know, but these days any non-portable PC is called desktop, which is why I tend to call them "horizontal". 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 9, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lookin' good!

I love those little blue heatsink/fan units too. They bring me back for some reason. 😀

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 7 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have to get the MHz display working! I dream of owning a case with a 3 digit display!
Maybe this board doesn't have Turbo switch header? My 486 was the same and could only be done with a keyboard shortcut.
But do like the system overall, also prefer the looks of desktop/horizontal/whatever case)

Reply 8 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

You have to get the MHz display working! I dream of owning a case with a 3 digit display!
Maybe this board doesn't have Turbo switch header? My 486 was the same and could only be done with a keyboard shortcut.
But do like the system overall, also prefer the looks of desktop/horizontal/whatever case)

I've actually tried another motherboard (AOpen AP5-T) that has some "Green LED" headers that are supposedly compatible with Turbo — doesn't work. And besides, there is a certain part (I think it's L2 cache) that touches the floppy drive caddy which leads to the whole system shorting out.

So, looks like finding a proper 430TX motherboard with Turbo headers AND optimal layout will be a challenge all right.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 9 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the LED to work, but the turbo button doesn't really do anything.

Upgraded the Pentium 133 to 166. This motherboard shouldn't be able to accept MMX, and that's the fastest "classic" Pentium I have.

Installed a new Diamond 3D 2000 Pro I just got. It's an S3 Virge, just like many others I have, but the good thing about this is that Vogonsdrivers have the full drivers disk for this card.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog