VOGONS

First post, by Melonking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi old computer interested people, I figured Id post my build project because I think Facebook is probably sick of me 😜 If you have any pointers or notice anything I did wrong please say so!

So as a preface, this is my first retro build.. hopefully my last too, I can see how this could become a rabbit hole. Started it because of that stupid LRG video where he builds an old system, and as someone who has only done very modern builds it seemed novel.

I basically had to start from scratch, while I had plenty of system building parts around, very little of it was compatible with older pc's (Apart from screws and stuff).. I released that there were actually no computers in the house that even had cd/dvd drives. To add to that, from what I can tell there is basically no retro computer scene in Ireland at all, I could not find any reliable place for parts, so everything had to be imported, Ill list where parts came from as its quite a list!

Tower Parts: (Mostly from the UK)
CPU: Intel Pentium 133mhz (Underclocked to 100mhz)
MOBO: FIC PA-2013 Socket 7
RAM: 64MB PC100 (2x 32MB sticks)
GFX1: S3 Virge DX 4mb - From Hungry
GFX2: Diamond Voodoo 1 4mb - From Russia
SOUND: Sound Blaster 16 CT2230 - From Germany
HD: 4.3GB Quantum Fireball CR
CD-ROM: Creative Blaster IDE CD-RW Drive *New In Box!* (Using GoldStar CD-ROM driver, I cant find any DOS CD-R or CD-RW drivers)
Floppy: Generic 3.5 Floppy Drive *New In Box!*
Floppy2: Virtual floppy emulator
(I also have a new TEAC FD55-BR on the way from Russia!)
Case: A 2011 Antec case I had around from my old desktop.

Extras:
Screen: IBM PS/2 8513 VGA - 1988ish, Got it cheap from Italy
Keyboard: IBM PS/2 Model-M - 1988, From the US.. the import tax on this cost more than the whole monitor.. never buy from the US
Mouse: Dunno what its called, its the mouse that goes with that era of IBM PS/2 stuff, from the US.. yes.. import tax again 😒
(Using CuteMouse driver, does anyone know how to turn up the sensitivity on this?)

Gallery:

uUpx8wH.jpg?1
Desk setup! Ok so, I know the peripherals are about 10 years older than the tower hardware, but they look so cool! The monitor is a little small Ill admit its 11" so I think a 14" would be nicer if I find one, but for now its good! And sure, I bet some people still used this stuff around this time. The monitor makes allot of crackeling noise when its turned off, this is the first non flatscreen monitor I'v ever had so I find this a bit disturbing, also I'm terrified it will "burn in" if I leave it static for more than 10 seconds, so I keep typing dir..

rjzZHkf.jpg?1
The inside, I know the 450W power supply is overkill, but I really wanted a modular supply to keep the cable management issues down. Im a little worried that the PSU being so close to the sound card may effect sound quality, but I don't notice any big issues. The CPU is cooled by a StarTek socket 7 cooler with the fan removed. The case fan above it is inverted so it blows cold are down over the processor. Even under heavy load the heat sink remains cool.

vQufMSx.jpg?1
As the case had no old style speaker I made my own. Didn't think the piezo one would be authentic sounding. Its an old style cone speaker glued into an old fan body and mounted in a front fan slot. Quite ingenious if I do say so myself.

zYHyAHd.jpg?1
The voodoo card did not come with a pass through cable. I was able to use a short SVGA cable and a gender changer to get it working. Seems to operate very clear, I tested running the screen directly from the s3, and from the voodoo, and I can see none of the blurring effect people seem to talk about with these cards. I have no actual way to test the voodoo though. Pass through works, but I have no idea if its doing anything in games xD Does anyone know how to test it?

j03NfP5.jpg?1
Some front IO. I would like to replace the floppy simulator with a 5.25 drive when it arrives, however there is not realy much use to this since I cant get 5.25 games very easily 😜 The led panel is cool though and a fair trade off with the lack of a turbo speed panel.

Notes:
The IDE drive is very loud, it makes a whining noise, I tried a 1.5GB and the 4.3GB drive, the 4.3 ones is a little better, but its still very load. Do all IDE drives do this? I was hoping for the authentic speed and clickyness, but the whining is a bit unpleasant, it may have to be replaced.

All games run really well, and the sound is perfect. Tomb Raider was oddly slow, considering the voodoo card is there, though I don't have an original install disk so it may be misconfigured. The need for speed SE needed to be run at low settings to be at full speed (which is of course needed) I suspect that's due to the underclocked processor though.

Are monitors really supposed to make the crackling noise when they are turned off, it sounds like a campfire is starting..

I hate those big 4pin power connectors, who ever though they were a good design..

Finally:
I'm generally very pleased with this system, Its not my first PC, I grew up in a Mac only household so I have no nostalgia for it xD It has that fresh new world of PC feeling I imagine people had back in 1995 though so I can pretend its my first.

Reply 1 of 12, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome system! Should give you a lot of enjoyment.

Pass through works, but I have no idea if its doing anything in games xD Does anyone know how to test it?

If you disconnect the passthrough once the game is running, and you have video coming from the Voodoo, then it's working. If not, then it's still using the S3.

I hate those big 4pin power connectors, who ever though they were a good design..

UGGHH the bane of my existance! Wait until you try using a crappy-quality splitter, where the pins keep getting pushed out and mangled every time you try to plug it in. And good luck ever unplugging them!

Are monitors really supposed to make the crackling noise when they are turned off, it sounds like a campfire is starting..

I think that's pretty normal. CRTs make weird noises! Someone else with more knowledge can chime in, but it's probably nothing to worry about.

The IDE drive is very loud, it makes a whining noise, I tried a 1.5GB and the 4.3GB drive, the 4.3 ones is a little better, but its still very load. Do all IDE drives do this? I was hoping for the authentic speed and clickyness, but the whining is a bit unpleasant, it may have to be replaced.

Depends on the noise, but in general old drives are pretty noisy. Unless it's screeching noise (which could possibly be a bad/dried bearing), the whining is probably normal. What models of drives do you have? I really like the old WD Caviar drives personally; they have a very audible, satisfying "click", and their motor noise is what I associate with classic computers. Not too obnoxious, but still nostalgic-sounding. If you want something quieter, you could always get a newer IDE drive and partition it into small portions for DOS (be careful though, it seems a lot of late 90s/early 2000s drives have even louder whine than older drives).

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 2 of 12, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good to see another Irish person on here. Yep the retro part scene here is pretty awful.

I work in UCD and occasionally find bits being thrown out or just sitting around but it's mainly later 90's stuff.

Reply 3 of 12, by Melonking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you CapnCrunch53, Ill do that test on a few games!

sirlemonhead wrote:

Good to see another Irish person on here. Yep the retro part scene here is pretty awful.

I work in UCD and occasionally find bits being thrown out or just sitting around but it's mainly later 90's stuff.

Are fruit related names an unknown irish thing? xD I was able to find a boxed copy of Indiana Jones and the last crusade on 6 large floppies today in Cork, but it was not cheap, 30 euro :\

Reply 4 of 12, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha must be! Mine is from Monkey Island so it's not anything massively original 😀

Did you find that in Cork city centre? I had heard a retro game shop opened there a few years ago but I think they just sell console stuff..

Reply 5 of 12, by Melonking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sirlemonhead wrote:

Haha must be! Mine is from Monkey Island so it's not anything massively original 😀

Did you find that in Cork city center? I had heard a retro game shop opened there a few years ago but I think they just sell console stuff..

Games Mania, its 99% consoles, one or two PC things here and there like a Commador 64 tape drive, they have some cool stuff, but its not cheap at all.

Reply 6 of 12, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Melonking wrote:

The voodoo card did not come with a pass through cable. I was able to use a short SVGA cable and a gender changer to get it working. Seems to operate very clear, I tested running the screen directly from the s3, and from the voodoo, and I can see none of the blurring effect people seem to talk about with these cards.

The gender changer is a good idea!

The blurring effect only affects higher resoulutions and higher refresh rates (i.e. more data coming through). It gets noticeable in Windows with 800x600 or higher. No wonder you don't see it on your 11" screen 😉

I like the style of the IBM monitor, but a 15" or 17" would be more fitting. Then you can slap a K6-3+ in there and a faster Voodoo and play DOS titles as well as Windows titles up to about '99 😀

Reply 7 of 12, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's one cute little monitor, but the mouse - eww, I have one of those and they're awful. I'd want to replace it with a later generation two tone beige affair (this one : http://www.nthsweb.net/fahmya/labs/generalsto … mages/mouse.JPG)

Old hard drives can be a bit noisy, if you've got the cash I would be inclined to replace it with an SSD and an IDE to SATA converter (unless you buy an IDE DOM).

I feel your pain in US imports. I'm currently specing up a new system, and most of the processors I want are in the US. There are some in the EU, so I'm hoping the cheaper only stock photo ones are ok, currently waiting on a real picture from the vendor..

Reply 8 of 12, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice system, especially liking the monitor 😀

Smart solution with the speaker, keeping it in mind for my CM Elite 361 cases, they come with those squeaky piezo speakers too.

Reply 9 of 12, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Melonking wrote:

The voodoo card did not come with a pass through cable. I was able to use a short SVGA cable and a gender changer to get it working. Seems to operate very clear, I tested running the screen directly from the s3, and from the voodoo, and I can see none of the blurring effect people seem to talk about with these cards. I have no actual way to test the voodoo though. Pass through works, but I have no idea if its doing anything in games xD Does anyone know how to test it?

Install a dos glide game (like tomb raider) or a windows glide game like Pandemonium or GL_Quake.

Melonking wrote:

It's not a bug, it's a feature! I personally love the sound old HDD drives make - I find it nostalgic.

Very nice build tough personally I'd consider replacing the case with something more period correct - there's plenty of plain beige ATX towers to be had locally if you look around for a bit. Somehow that Antec 300 just looks and feels wrong with a pentium 1 in it, but then that's just me.

Also, your motherboard supports AMD K6-2+ (the plus is important) and K6-3 processors - these can be slowed down to 386 levels using a utility called SetMUL - it would enable you to play older as well as newer games giving your machine lots of flexibility. You allready have the most important part for that - the mainboard. A K6-2+ or K6-3 can be had for 15-20$ on ebay.

Reply 11 of 12, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kanecvr wrote:

It's not a bug, it's a feature! I personally love the sound old HDD drives make - I find it nostalgic.

if it's not too loud.

Reply 12 of 12, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't worry about the PSU making an issue for your SoundCard, modern PSU's have very good EMI shielding, unless you buy a crappy quality PSU like Apevia or Allied