VOGONS

First post, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did a project very recently, hiding a 486 DX2 66 in a modern looking computer 😀 A Retro Sleeper so to speak.

ylGUkUJl.jpg

As always:

- This build is one out of many possibilities
- The parts chosen are by no means the best / recommended
- I mix things up in my builds to show different ways of achieving the same thing
- A video will go live later today, also includes benchmarks and me showing the entire process, installing DOS, BIOS options, boot menu, drivers, games...

Here a brief write up of all the steps:

A lovely ATX case from Gigabyte. 4x 5.25" and 2x 3.5" drive bays and lots of space. A shame they don't make such cases anymore. But it looks modern enough to pass as a current PC.

GjnAs5jl.jpg

Biostar MB-1433 VLB motherboard. An average performer, but the 486 DX2 66 suits it well. Has a RTC, so no battery leaks. Simple BIOS, gets the job done.

fOMICswl.jpg

Lining up the motherboard with the case shows that three mounting holes line up perfectly. I used metal spacers for those. I used plastic spacers for the rest to prevent the board from shorting out with the case.

gDFkRHvl.jpg

Like a glove...

WPft3DVl.jpg

Cirrus Logic GD-5429 with 2 MB. Very fast VLB card

yjOgzuDl.jpg

VLB IO and storage controller

lYA2cVml.jpg

My favourite ISA Sound Blaster

LjAMrOVl.jpg

Paired with a Sound Canvas

p2tlQxQl.jpg

Cards installed and some new shields / covers

uMBu6A7l.jpg

Many don't know this, but the Sound Canvas has audio inputs with a set mixer. So I use this for the video. I also use a MIDI cable with a Joystick breakout, so I can use a Joystick for games such as Privateer.

RCfVpxxl.jpg

Optical drive configured as slave

IUmjYCMl.jpg

Removable IDE drive tray

Xl0zTM9l.jpg

But inside is a IDE to SD adapter. I used Ontrack, worked great to get the full 8 GB. However the SD card wouldn't read on my desktop to load games. So later I just formatted a 512 MB DOS 6.22 partition.

J3uMMV3l.jpg

Now this is a very simply, yet effective solution, to the issue of power and turbo buttons. Use a standard 3.5" to 5.25" adapter, drill two holes with a step drill and mount two switches. The wires will go the ATX to AT power adapter and turbo header on the motherboard.

vD6mwLIl.jpg

And of course, a GOTEK floppy emulator! Can't live without it. 1000 floppies on a USB stick and I will use that stick to install DOS, drivers, boot system, Sound Blaster and everything.

kEEleuEl.jpg

Drives all installed

xblkGpWl.jpg

PPveQRBl.jpg

PSU and ATX to AT adapter

jQVDcu1l.jpg

The final build

XNkT2XVl.jpg

Time to play some games!

dvpgASdl.jpg

VCb4Tyel.jpg

DRHo16Tl.jpg

3okeNLwl.jpg

Flick the turbo switch and Test Drive 3 is playable

uKzySyhl.jpg

Findings:

This was a smooth build. A different case, from Aywun, was too small, the board wouldn't fit properly. I had issues with the SD adapter, usually when I use Ontrack with CF cards, I can access them on my desktop, to load games, benchmarks and that sort of thing. The first IDE to SD adapter wouldn't cooperate with the optical drive, swapping it out for a different model fixed the issue.

Had to boost the volume of the AWE64 to get a good balance between Sound Blaster and Sound Canvas but once that was done it sounded very balanced!

Overall I'm very happy with this build, no big issues and it's a lovely machine 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 1 of 23, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What a nice build! But I'm not sure sleeper is the right word. Maybe you can slap on a Type R decal on the case and call it the 486 DX2 66 Retro Ricer. 😈

Reply 2 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FuzzyLogic wrote:

What a nice build! But I'm not sure sleeper is the right word. Maybe you can slap on a Type R decal on the case and call it the 486 DX2 66 Retro Ricer. 😈

Retro Ricer, nice 😁

Reply 3 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice. As a sleeper, this is kind of the opposite of what I consider the ultimate sleeper: the early 1990's Ford Mustang LX 5.0. Fast under the hood, slow-looking on the outside.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Very nice. As a sleeper, this is kind of the opposite of what I consider the ultimate sleeper: the early 1990's Ford Mustang LX 5.0. Fast under the hood, slow-looking on the outside.

That was the idea. Modern (boring) looking from the outside, blends into the background like every other appliance, but under the hood we have awesome retro hardware, games, sounds and music 😀

Maybe I should have called the: Happy wife, happy life Retro Gaming PC?

Reply 5 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣. How about "This is not the Retro Computer You're Looking For"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO_xfR64qSk

Reply 6 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice build! 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 23, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

this a reverse sleeper?

PhilsComputerLab wrote:
VLB IO and storage controller http://i.imgur.com/lYA2cVml.jpg […]
Show full quote

VLB IO and storage controller
lYA2cVml.jpg

You should know better then to touch the fingers of a card. 😵

Reply 10 of 23, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Phil, what model is the monitor you're using? Is it a good alternative to a CRT?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 11 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MCGA wrote:

Paint it BEIGE! 😀

Small edit. You listed your video card as a GD-5329, it should be 5429.

Thanks, fixed that 😀

buckeye wrote:

Phil, what model is the monitor you're using? Is it a good alternative to a CRT?

It's an old 17" LG. Not even LED backlight. It gets the job done. but newer models are much brighter and nicer.

Reply 12 of 23, by KurtHectic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great build Phil. 486 and Pentium are great machines and i need find one.

W10: Phenom II X6 1090T@3.2GHz/6GB DDR3 1333/Radeon HD 6450 1GB DDR3
XP: *building* Athlon X2 6000/2GB DDR2 800/Geforce 7950GT 512MB
DOS/W98SE: PIII 550MHz/256MB PC100/Geforce FX 5200 128MB

Reply 13 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just started Ultima Underworld II on my DX2-66 and it plays perfectly on it. 😀 My plan is to finish UU2 then go straight into Ultima VII Part 2: Serpent Isle, another title that will play well on this platform. It's a great CPU for so many classic titles of the early 90's.

Reply 14 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

I just started Ultima Underworld II on my DX2-66 and it plays perfectly on it. 😀 My plan is to finish UU2 then go straight into Ultima VII Part 2: Serpent Isle, another title that will play well on this platform. It's a great CPU for so many classic titles of the early 90's.

Thought about doing let's play videos with commentary? I like watching pros play their favorite games, often that gets me into it. I find UU a bit confusing and hard 😊

Reply 15 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Thought about doing let's play videos with commentary? I like watching pros play their favorite games, often that gets me into it. I find UU a bit confusing and hard 😊

Watch Kikoskia. 😀 It's who I watch when I'm preparing to play games and when I get stuck. 🤣.

He's done most of the Ultimas really well.

Reply 16 of 23, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok will check it out. I remember watching one guy play Unreal. It was what got me interested in the game, then 3dfx and all of that 😁

When you watch someone play who is really into the game and knows it well, it makes a big difference.