VOGONS

First post, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so I haven't been around long and haven't posted much in forever because I've not had the money to work on my builds... But I figured I'd share my first "complete" retro build. I say "complete" because... Are we ever really done tweaking systems? This one for example needs a new DVD drive because the one in it locks the computer up, but that's not very important. I'd also like to get a floppy emulator for it, but that's more important for my future DOS build.

Anyway, on to the specs!

Case: Gateway OEM case, repurposed prior as a Pentium III NAS and now as my Win98 machine
Motherboard: ASUS P5A Motherboard
Processor: AMD K6-III 450MHz CPU
RAM: 512MB
CD Drive: Sony 52x Reader/Writer
Floppy Drive: 1 Generic Beige/White drive
GPU: Currently Diamond 3D Stealth 2000 S3 ViRGE (being replaced in a couple of days with a PNY Verto GeForce Fx 5600 Ultra 128MB AGP video card.)
Sound Card: Sound Blaster 16 ISA card

She's a loud beast, but especially when I get the GeForce card in her she will be perfect for playing a majority of the games in the era I'm interested in using it for.

Images are available at:
http://imgur.com/a/xBT11

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 9, by MrMateczko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the EXACT same FX 5600 Ultra, same brand and everything, weird.
Remember to use 45.23 drivers with it, not never!
Also, the PNY Verto card is purple, which doesn't really fit with the build, but that's nitpicking 😀

Reply 2 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What OS are you using?
Is your K6-III a regular version or one of those +'s?
What's making your rig so loud? Is it the harddrive or the PSU fan?
These old CDROM drives often sound like an airplane taking off, but there are multiple ways to silence this little problem 😀

You could opt for a case fan, even if it's just 80mm. It would help increase aitflow, even though this might not be really needed for your system, but you might be able to replace the fan of your PSU with a more quiet one.

Nice to see a 200W PSU getting some use. Lets hope it is up for the job 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 9, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
What OS are you using? Is your K6-III a regular version or one of those +'s? What's making your rig so loud? Is it the harddrive […]
Show full quote

What OS are you using?
Is your K6-III a regular version or one of those +'s?
What's making your rig so loud? Is it the harddrive or the PSU fan?
These old CDROM drives often sound like an airplane taking off, but there are multiple ways to silence this little problem 😀

You could opt for a case fan, even if it's just 80mm. It would help increase aitflow, even though this might not be really needed for your system, but you might be able to replace the fan of your PSU with a more quiet one.

Nice to see a 200W PSU getting some use. Lets hope it is up for the job 😀

1) Running Windows 98 on it right now, but I'm doing a clean install soon as it has a bunch of garbage from when I was messing about trying to get a mixed DOS and 9x system running well (DOS mode locks up a lot on this rig...)

2) I am inclined to believe it's a case fan somewhere making things loud, the PSU fan itself I don't think is a problem although it might be. It kind of sounds like a jet taking off sometimes, but it's honestly kind of a nostalgic sound so I don't know that I even mind it. As for the CDROM, it's virtually got no sound to it as far as I can tell.

I think the PSU should be fine, but maybe with the 5600 I'll be pushing it. I guess we will see! That same PSU ran a NAS with about 500GB worth of drives chained together for around 4 years, so I'm thinking it should be alright 😀

MrMateczko wrote:

I had the EXACT same FX 5600 Ultra, same brand and everything, weird.
Remember to use 45.23 drivers with it, not never!
Also, the PNY Verto card is purple, which doesn't really fit with the build, but that's nitpicking 😀

Thanks for the tip! As for the color, I personally don't find that to be a problem. My color scheme for my main rig makes literally no sense but that's not really something I pay attention to. So long as the exterior of the system looks decent and it runs well, I'm happy 😀

The Beast 2.0:
CPU: AMD K6-III 450MHz GPU: Nvidia FX 5600 128MB HDD: 20GB (Seagate?) Mobo: ASUS P5A-B RAM: 512MB Sound Card: SB 16 PnP ISA OS: Windows 98 SE

Reply 4 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The FX5600 isn't really a graphics card that eats a lot of power and your PSU (now I don't know for sure here, just trying to judge by the looks of it) kinda looks like one of those relatively better quality OEM ones. These tended for a bit to actually understate their power capabilities.

You might be pushing it, but as long as it runs, it should be fine. Right?

And maybe it's a stupid question, but where actually is your case fan? In front of the harddrives maybe?

The PSU fan looks kinda thick and those will often move a lot of air, but might also be more noisy (especially since the fan is probably already quite old and maybe worn by now). You could check with the "slow down the fan and hear if the sound changes"-trick 😜

And some of my rigs ended up making extra sound due to vibration. Your case looks quite solid though. It might also be the harddrives. But if the sound isn't an issue for you, then there is no problem and no reason to fix it right? 😀

And nicely done for your first retro rig 😁

Please keep us updated 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 9, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
The FX5600 isn't really a graphics card that eats a lot of power and your PSU (now I don't know for sure here, just trying to ju […]
Show full quote

The FX5600 isn't really a graphics card that eats a lot of power and your PSU (now I don't know for sure here, just trying to judge by the looks of it) kinda looks like one of those relatively better quality OEM ones. These tended for a bit to actually understate their power capabilities.

You might be pushing it, but as long as it runs, it should be fine. Right?

And maybe it's a stupid question, but where actually is your case fan? In front of the harddrives maybe?

The PSU fan looks kinda thick and those will often move a lot of air, but might also be more noisy (especially since the fan is probably already quite old and maybe worn by now). You could check with the "slow down the fan and hear if the sound changes"-trick 😜

And some of my rigs ended up making extra sound due to vibration. Your case looks quite solid though. It might also be the harddrives. But if the sound isn't an issue for you, then there is no problem and no reason to fix it right? 😀

And nicely done for your first retro rig 😁

Please keep us updated 😀

I appreciate all the comments 😀 and honestly, I don't know where my case fans are. It's been a few months since I started this build and I didn't bother to even look when I had her apart, but like you said if it runs and works all's good 😜 and the temps are kept very low, so I'm not worried at all! I can't wait for the FX 5600 to show up so I can play some of my favorites again, and try some new games as well.

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 6 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like the original PSU and the fan on the bottom IS the case fan. Originally their would have been a shroud around the fan which would also cover the CPU

ITADSHOP-SB-106524-106524-008.jpg

You can prob swap out the fan or if money is tight, just turn up the speakers 😉

Reply 7 of 9, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Looks like the original PSU and the fan on the bottom IS the case fan. Originally their would have been a shroud around the fan […]
Show full quote

Looks like the original PSU and the fan on the bottom IS the case fan. Originally their would have been a shroud around the fan which would also cover the CPU

ITADSHOP-SB-106524-106524-008.jpg

You can prob swap out the fan or if money is tight, just turn up the speakers 😉

Now that the system has been torn apart (detailed in another thread I made about it crashing... PSU was too weak for new GPU) it's just about the same level of noise, so it must be the CPU fan. There is a fan on the inside front panel of the case though, so that was probably adding some noise to the mix. Not to mention that amazingly huge 4GB hard drive making it's natural noises 😉

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 8 of 9, by UltimaPlayer12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right, so I moved the beast into a new case with a new PSU. Still keeping that vintage look, don't worry! The GPU is installed, no lockups, I can play Shogo on medium detail, Max Payne on mostly low detail with medium textures, Age of Empires II runs flawlessly, and I have yet to test some of my favorite games (names are escaping me now...) but, I'm pretty proud of this build. More pics incoming when I get home tomorrow 😀

The Beast 2.0:

Reply 9 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sweet build! 😀

I wonder if I should replace my K6-II (500MHz) with a K6-III. I think I'll start a separate thread with some questions.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys