VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So today I got this at a local shop for $10, havn't turned it on yet, as the dust on it stinks of tabacoo and my wife is allergic

specs appear to be

K6-2 380
IBM SIS 530 Board
192mb PC100 1x64+1x128
3dfx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
Aurel Vortex 2
CD-ROM
Floppy

Here are the pics of it I have so far

A__AD70.jpg
Filename
A__AD70.jpg
File size
859.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
A__A491.jpg
Filename
A__A491.jpg
File size
559.51 KiB
Views
File license
A__6BB0.jpg
Filename
A__6BB0.jpg
File size
662.14 KiB
Views
File license
A__162B.jpg
Filename
A__162B.jpg
File size
807.85 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've cleaned it up, including the PSU, i washed it in the shower so low pressure and just let the water run through it, and it got 90% of it which I'm satisfied with. It's now in the Oven at 200F for drying. The case I washed with a mix of Dawn Dishsoap and 99% isoprophyol which worked wonders to remove most of the tar staining on the case, its now not as obvious, but the only way I think to make it completly disappear to to get the original IBM paint to paint over it with

I felt safe washing it as the shop that had it, stated they have been tripping over it in their storage room, he said since about 2003/2004. So I think in all that time whatever the capictors once stored is long since discharged.

Reply 6 of 16, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You lucky dog! An IBM with a voodoo to boot, I need to move to Texas. On Ebay something like that would go for at least 300.00 easy. Congrats on your find!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 7 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know it came with 98 originally but I'm really considering 95 for it, of course will have to be OSR 2.5 as my smallest drive is a 20gb, which the computer recognizes

Quick question, the IDE cables are stained yellow from the previous owner smoking around it, any way to clean them up or should I just replace them. I was kind of wanting to keep it all original if possible.

Reply 8 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

I know it came with 98 originally but I'm really considering 95 for it, of course will have to be OSR 2.5 as my smallest drive is a 20gb, which the computer recognizes

Quick question, the IDE cables are stained yellow from the previous owner smoking around it, any way to clean them up or should I just replace them. I was kind of wanting to keep it all original if possible.

I could see wanting to keep the expansion cards original, but I think you can safely replace IDE cables without ruining the system's originality. 😀 Just don't use the black Asus ones. 🤣

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 16, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

I've cleaned it up, including the PSU, i washed it in the shower so low pressure and just let the water run through it, and it got 90% of it which I'm satisfied with. It's now in the Oven at 200F for drying. The case I washed with a mix of Dawn Dishsoap and 99% isoprophyol which worked wonders to remove most of the tar staining on the case, its now not as obvious, but the only way I think to make it completly disappear to to get the original IBM paint to paint over it with

I felt safe washing it as the shop that had it, stated they have been tripping over it in their storage room, he said since about 2003/2004. So I think in all that time whatever the capictors once stored is long since discharged.

The remaining case yellowing might be sun yellowing rather than cigarette smoke yellowing. If that's what it is, you can fix that up with some 40-volume hydrogen peroxide cream (check beauty supply places, and wear gloves - it's somewhat corrosive) and UV light exposure. Paint the stuff on, cover it with cling film then either leave it in the sun for a few hours or leave it under a strong blacklight for a bit longer.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 10 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jade_angel wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

The remaining case yellowing might be sun yellowing rather than cigarette smoke yellowing. If that's what it is, you can fix that up with some 40-volume hydrogen peroxide cream (check beauty supply places, and wear gloves - it's somewhat corrosive) and UV light exposure. Paint the stuff on, cover it with cling film then either leave it in the sun for a few hours or leave it under a strong blacklight for a bit longer.

Likely won't go that far, the issues are no internal, which wouldn't have been exposed, but it remains brownish inside in places as well as on the board, but its all clean enough I'd eat off of it metaphorically speaking.

For the IDE cables I think I'm going to see what some Dawn can do for them, I really want it original, and the only IDE cables I have laying around are rounded 80pin cables, and my only spare floppy cable is a black rounded ASUS banded cable 😜

Reply 13 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might want to check if the K6-2 is a normal Chompers or CXT model. CXT should be able to clock into 450-500 mhz territory at stock voltages.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Won't do 450 at stock voltage 🤣, but I have a K6-III 333, which doing digging wasn't an uncommon upgrade on these and could even be ordered that way