VOGONS

First post, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just for fun and in case of Friday desided to post pictures of ES 1863.11 - 386sx PC that were made around 1993-94 in Minsk, Bellarussia.

9bmaEfT.jpg

zcHgi8c.jpg

U23JDvU.jpg

usWKSCd.jpg

XaM8wXC.jpg

N5U5GVK.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow, at first I thought it was just a local brand but now I see that when you say "made in Minsk" you really mean it! nice one!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 10, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow! That's a think of beauty. Check out those translucent ISA slots - never seen anything like it. Everything looks hand-soldered and even the video BIOS originated in Minsk.

Amazing, thanks for sharing.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3 of 10, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:

Everything looks hand-soldered and even the video BIOS originated in Minsk.

Amazing, thanks for sharing.

Yes - it has it's own bios setup - it's possible, for example on that machine to set 8/12/16/33 mhz of CPU SPEED in it)

Reply 4 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome machine! 😁 Thank you very much for sharing this!
It's not something we do see every day - these translucent ISA slots are beautiful, as someone already said.

The wiring/pcb design reminds me a tiny bit of the Robotron models from eastern Germany (A7150/EC1834, link/link),
but they weren't as nearly as up-to-date.. Just out of curiosity, are you running "normal" MS-DOS, like 6.2 or something more exotic
(Альфа-ДОС/Alpha DOS, DCP, PTS-DOS, or DOS 4.01 with the russian nag screen) ?

Silly question, I know. 😅 My knowledge about eastern computers is quite limited (Japan stuff aside), though.
A few of my older computer magazines (some from the mid80s) mentioned several eastern DOS systems,
so I guess DOS was quite popular there (just think of the original Tetris).
Well, at least more popular than Macintosh systems or Amigas.. 😉

Anyway, I'm honest when I say that this machine is nicely built! It looks like it was made to last forever.
I had no idea that such craftsmanship was still alive in '94; someone could think that mainboards
from Taiwan where already all over the place by then.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 10, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Just out of curiosity, are you running "normal" MS-DOS, like 6.2 or something more exotic
(Альфа-ДОС/Alpha DOS, DCP, PTS-DOS, or DOS 4.01 with the russian nag screen) ?

Silly question, I know. 😅 .

Thanks for an interest to my post ) 😊

Here's a site of my friend from St.Petersbourg about Soviet/Eastern Block digital devices

- http://www.leningrad.su/museum/main.php?lang=0

As you can see, there were some x-86 machines, most of them can run normal MS-DOS 6.22, but "then" were commonly used with "other DOS'es". For myself I have Robotron ES1834 which came with an ST-225 MFM HD, with common M$ DOS 6.22 insalled, although originally there was special DOS version by Robotron. This machine is not brought to fully working condition yet, so I cannot post it here now...( Maybe in Spring I'll restore it)

And that exactly that machine - ES1863.11 - I'just installed common IDE HDD about 300-400 mbs using Ontrack Disk Manager 7.0 and put MS-DOS 6.22 on it - As I do with all my X-86 DOS pc's from IBM 5150 to Pentiums). May be I'm lazy, maybe I just do not see a reason to try other versions of DOS on a PC-compatible)))...

And about Tetris - it was written by A.Pajitnov on Soviet PDP-11 Compatibles, like DVK or Elektronika... Here's a picture of a DVK3m with it on screen (at the left, on the left - home PDP11 compatible - BK11m)

CfFARjB.jpg

Reply 7 of 10, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is quite tremendous! I don't normally fuss too much over 16-bit 386 systems but this one is that bit more special. Thanks for sharing.

btw... what is the game on screen? I recognise it.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386_junkie wrote:

[..] I don't normally fuss too much over 16-bit 386 systems [..]

Understandable, they where even slower than 286 machines at times.
But on the positive side, they usually had intelligent (286-)chipsets or a very small board design. ^^

386_junkie wrote:

btw... what is the game on screen? I recognise it.

Loom ? Sorry, not sure, but that game also had a prison room..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//