VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is my second old gaming machine I'm working on at the same time.
But this will not be a sleeper so it got new moded black chassi since that's the color now days.

Hardware
Chassi: Chieftec Black with Mesh front panel, 2 x USB 3.0 ( panel removed )
Motherboard: Aopen AX6BC
PSU: some random at the moment but will be changed for a module one sine i dont need all pci-e and sata cables at all...
CPU: p2 300ghz mmx
Mem: 162mb~
Disk: sStarTech.com 3.5-Inch Drive Bay IDE to Single CF SSD Adapter with 16gb card
Floppy: normal one ( have to buy a new one since the black color dont match that good ) and gotek thats on its way
Gfx: unsure now but its better then it should be, i only require quake 1/2 to run ok
Sound: creative sound blaster ct1600
Nic: Realtek
PCI sata controller for bigger disk if i ever needed to mount a disk since bios cant go past 100gb i think it just get stuck at post.

Also bought
Brand new intel pentium 2 mmx stickers ( found on http://www.vath.co/ )
Brand new windows 98 stickers ( found on http://www.vath.co/ )

More pictures to come 😀

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0112.JPG
    File size
    2.19 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Chassi
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by tabm0de on 2017-02-12, 21:25. Edited 2 times in total.

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 2 of 6, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha forgot to put pII in the header 😉 I use a old hp 486 dx 100mhz for "Old" games :p

But the answer would be Aopen AX6BC 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 3 of 6, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice build ! But for my opinion 300mhz is "not enough" for a P-II. I for myself found a Dell P_II with 400 mhz and it runs too slow games easily played on Asus P3Bf with PIII-500 and even with Asus P2Bf/P-II-450 I used to have back then in 1998-2004.

Reply 4 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aopen AX6BC is BX and your P2-300 is either Deschutes or Klamath (Klamath being older and hotter).

It's a 66MHz CPU but chances are yours has several unlocked CPU multipliers. It's probably set to 4.5x (55x4.5 == 300MHz) right now. If you feel like some experimenting and don't mind getting barely any real world benefits whatsoever, you could opt to change your board+CPU to run at 3x100 == 300MHz 😁

I do think your case looks too recent, but when looking at what cases are generally for sale these days...your case is a significant improvement 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 6, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Aopen AX6BC is BX and your P2-300 is either Deschutes or Klamath (Klamath being older and hotter).

It's a 66MHz CPU but chances are yours has several unlocked CPU multipliers. It's probably set to 4.5x (55x4.5 == 300MHz) right now. If you feel like some experimenting and don't mind getting barely any real world benefits whatsoever, you could opt to change your board+CPU to run at 3x100 == 300MHz 😁

I do think your case looks too recent, but when looking at what cases are generally for sale these days...your case is a significant improvement 🤣!

Its an older p3-300 since i want it to work on all 3 motherboards i have. I choosed this case because this one i will use as normal gaming pc for old games upp to maybe right under year 2000 and less and i wanted to skip front usb ports because they arent good for anything really 😉

I also have a sleeper project im working on which has a older beige chassi since thats the way to go 😀
WIP - First Pentium 2 sleeper build

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 6 of 6, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Tetrium wrote:

That depends were you look. My nanoxia is a very decent tower (with exception it's depth 🤣 ). I admit it's hard to find decent stylish cases (simple but sturdy towers)