VOGONS

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did have this build in a blue case, but I didnt like the fact that the paint was pealing bad, so this case looks nicer, it has the storm troop look going on.

I just wanted to see what this board cold do, no overclock yet. Here are the specs so far.
Windows XP Pro SP3 black edition, I personally love this edition, virus free and I pick what I want
2x 120GB HDD, soon to be swapped out for 2x 120GB SD cards. Im thinking about putting lubuntu on the second drive.
Pentium III-s 1.4GHz with slotket adapter.
2GB of SDRAM with heatspreaders
128MB Radeon 9700 Pro I did a few benchmarks with different cards that I had to see what card would max this build out,
Floppy emulator
ALI USB 2.0 card with 2 rear ports and 4 front ports
Asus P3V4X motherboard

Things to upgrade to:
Im thinking maybe a 9800 Pro would be maxing the 4x slot out.
2x120GB SD cards for speed, less noise and less power consumption

All Benchmarks @ 1024x768 32:
with Radeon 9550xl 256MB: 3DMark2000 6469, 3DMark2001 5801, 3DMark2003 2103
with Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB: 3DMark2000 6683, 3DMark2001 7305, 3DMark2003 4407
With Radeon HD 3850 512MB: 3DMark2000 7202, 3DMark2001 8764, 3DMark2003 Would not run
With Geforce 6800 GT 256MB: 3DMark2000 7334, 3DMark2001 7455, 3DMark2003 6811
With all video cards unreal gold ran at an average of 52 frames @ 1280x1024 32

To high of a video card resulted in bad performance on some games.

Attachments

• IMG_1479.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1479.JPG
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1480.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1480.JPG
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Desktop.JPG
    Filename
    Desktop.JPG
    File size
    346.6 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    x0zm_ did the logos on the wallpaper
    File license
Last edited by Oldskoolmaniac on 2017-02-12, 21:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 2 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it looks very nice!

And definitely loving blue lights here!

I actually really like your case. For some reason your system does look pimped, but it kinda even looks period-correct as well even though it's easy to see some of the parts are newer.

Definitely like how you maxed your rig, especially the RAM. It even reminds me of the rigs Artex has build and he sure has an eye for visual delight (even though some might see it as over the top 😜).

It's difficult to see, but your PSU seems like an FSP design of 300W.

What kind of slotket did you use? And how is XP BE now? I may have given it a go yeeaars ago but I didn't like all the extra stuff they put on it.

Only minor gripe I can see is the black optical drive 😜

Nicely done!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 5, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys

I love the black drives in white cases, plus all my white drives are in bad shape or don't work properly.

Yep its FSP 300watt Caps are still good, almost new. I am a little unsure about the power supply though I don't know to much about them.

yeah RAM is a little over the top, but it was $10 for all four sticks and XP is a little thirsty. It show's the capabilities of what this board could do for its time.

I love XP BE its fast and its pre tweaked and I usually uncheck a few things from its list in setup and I also tweak a lot of things after setup like turning of system restore, print spooler, indexing services etc everything I don't use. When sitting in idle my RAM usage is at 134MB.

For the cpu I order these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tualatin-P-IIIs-1-4GH … Q0AAOxyRhBSxjSY The p3v4x is a little picky on the slocket adapter, im using a super slocket III adapter. You could use a power leap, but i would not recommend it was this board cause the volts are a little high with a power leap causing the caps on the power leap to explode. When the modded p3-s is paired with a slotket adapter the correct volts are displayed in the bios.

I just need to figure out how to add the cpu microcode to the bios.

Reply 4 of 5, by itsgallus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oldskoolmaniac wrote on 2017-02-12, 23:03:

The p3v4x is a little picky on the slocket adapter, im using a super slocket III adapter. You could use a power leap, but i would not recommend it was this board cause the volts are a little high with a power leap causing the caps on the power leap to explode. When the modded p3-s is paired with a slotket adapter the correct volts are displayed in the bios.

Hi, I have a P3v4x aswell and I cannot get to boot a P3 800mhz atmo with my Abit Slotket 3 adapter. Could you guide me trough the bios settings when I insert the new cpu? I updated it to the nevest versions so I set 1.65v on the vcore as you said the v core can go up. what you mean by the board can be picky with slotket adapters?

Reply 5 of 5, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
itsgallus wrote on 2022-10-16, 15:12:
Oldskoolmaniac wrote on 2017-02-12, 23:03:

The p3v4x is a little picky on the slocket adapter, im using a super slocket III adapter. You could use a power leap, but i would not recommend it was this board cause the volts are a little high with a power leap causing the caps on the power leap to explode. When the modded p3-s is paired with a slotket adapter the correct volts are displayed in the bios.

Hi, I have a P3v4x aswell and I cannot get to boot a P3 800mhz atmo with my Abit Slotket 3 adapter. Could you guide me trough the bios settings when I insert the new cpu? I updated it to the nevest versions so I set 1.65v on the vcore as you said the v core can go up. what you mean by the board can be picky with slotket adapters?

I sold this motherboard about 4 years ago, but when i had it i had problems with all my other slotket adapters working on this board and make sure the jumpers on the board to jumperfree mode here is the manual https://www.asus.com/supportonly/p3v4x/helpdesk_manual/