VOGONS

First post, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended stopping by a local Thrift store yesterday and picked up this Evo 510 for only 12 bucks. It came with a Pentium 4 2ghz, 1gb Ram, and a "broken" AGP Geforce 6200. I only tried to use it in this system so far, but it would cause blue screens, and when drivers were installed the Monitors wouldn't have any video. Not sure if i can repair it. So i put in my PCI MX-4000. It uses Windows 2000 SP4, its actually a nice little system to put below my old TV. Especially since it has a decent internal speaker.

Comp1.jpg
Filename
Comp1.jpg
File size
34.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Comp2.jpg
Filename
Comp2.jpg
File size
38.34 KiB
Views
File license
Comp3.jpg
Filename
Comp3.jpg
File size
35 KiB
Views
File license

Heres the 6200, doesn't seem to be very broken look wise, but who knows? My guess with what happens to a lot of no fanned cards is it burned out.

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got 2 of these. Their size makes them very handy and make a solid workhorse.
I've just maxed out the CPU and RAM which cost £30 and installed lubuntu on one and put back into work at my Mrs shop for some light word processing work.
I'm only using the integrated Intel graphics card though

This was right at the end of Compaq and you can find HP branded PC's
Uxbill did a video on them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIaZuoxSNjw&t=98s

Reply 2 of 4, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh cool, yeah the size is perfect. I was thinking of upgrading the RAM too not sure if i care much for the CPU.
When i got home with this PC i actually looked it up and saw that video, pretty cool.

Reply 3 of 4, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trank wrote:

Heres the 6200, doesn't seem to be very broken look wise, but who knows? My guess with what happens to a lot of no fanned cards is it burned out.

It might be that these SFF systems don't provide much internal airflow to the expansion cards. The cards may be "fanless", but they will rapidly burn up regardless if they don't get any airflow.

Neat system. My highschool had all Dell Optiplexes, but I know a few other highschools in the area used these Compaqs instead.

Reply 4 of 4, by Trank

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that too, either way it needs a fan in my opinion. Yeah these were used in schools eh? Sadly my district was one of those all in one G3 mac schools back in the day. I guess im going to either rebuy a Geforce 6200 or find something else. As long as it has S-Video and is low profile ill buy it.