VOGONS

First post, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all 😀

Here's what I like to call The Full House. It's named the way it is as I have utilized every single drive bay, external and internal. My goal is to cover as many formats of removable media during the late 80s and 90s possible and to use it to play games from that area.

The insides are quite messy at the moment, a byproduct of using so many drives, and I need to do some good cable management, but I have at least made a good path for the air to travel 🤣

This machine is not exactly a "ground up" build, as it is technically an upgraded machine, but the only remaining original component in it is the motherboard. It originally came as a Pentium II 400 with 256 MB PC100 SDRAM, and over the past 4 years has turned into this. 😊

The specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium IIIE Coppermine 600 overclocked to 690 MHz. Removed from a Dell tower I was parting out.
512 MB PC133 SDRAM. Removed from multiple junker Slot 1 systems I was using few years ago.
ABIT BE6 Slot 1 440BX motherboard. The last remaining original component of the pre-upgraded PC.
ECS Elitegroup AG315P-64 AGP video card, 64 MB video memory. Bought from a flea market for $5.
Two 80 GB hard drives, a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus and a WD Caviar. Removed from XP-era systems from different sources.
Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520 ISA sound card. Bought from a flea market for $3.
Promise Ultra66 IDE HDD controller card. Removed from a Dell tower I was parting out.
Adaptec AUA-5100B USB 2.0 PCI card. Removed from an AOpen Windows XP tower that came from a school.
Kentek 680Watt ATX PSU. Bought brand new in box from eBay for $30-ish.
Evercase ECE4252 mid-tower ATX case. Bought NIB at a local PC shop for $30 at a case closeout sale.

Disk drives:
Noname 16x40x DVD-ROM drive. Bought from a flea market for $10.
OptoRite 52x32x52x CD writer drive. Bought new in box from a flea market for $10.
Generic HDD caddy. Removed from a junker Celeron s370 system running Windows XP.
TEAC 5.25 1.2 MB floppy drive. Removed from a junker 386 machine purchased off of eBay.
Mitsubishi LS-120 SuperDisk/3.5 floppy combo drive. Removed from a Gateway tower found at a thrift store, swapped with regular 3.5 drive.
Iomega Zip 250MB IDE. Given to me by a friend with a box of random parts.

Overall, an awesome Windows 98 SE system I plan to use for a wide range of gaming spanning almost a decade and a half.

I will take suggestions for part upgrades in the future if anyone wants 😀 I do plan to swap the ECS card in there with a proper Voodoo5 someday, but I need to find a cheap one first. 🤣

Attachments

• 20170222_211247.jpg
    Filename
    20170222_211247.jpg
    File size
    3.26 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 2 of 17, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:

Love this idea. The swiss army knife of 90s storage needs.

I have a beige DVD-RW drive I'd love to use, but its bezel is slightly bent on one side which makes the tray "stick" sometimes. Back when I was still using it (didn't have drives in it now) I figured out if you lightly hit the top of the case it'd unstick itself. 😵

If I do get a good beige DVD RW drive, I need to figure out what to put in the spare 5.25" bay I will have. ZipCD, maybe? 🤣 🤣 Or some sort of tape drive.

Reply 3 of 17, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't really get the need for two optical drives, my reasoning is that if you wanna maximize the variety of media, having two of the same doesn't quite fit. But that's just me, I've seen plenty of PATA DVD-RW drives, so one of those could replace the two current optical drives and free up another bay.

I've also seen two-in-one floppy drives with 5.25 and 3.5. If you can track down one of those you can save yet another bay. I know how hard it is to find even a normal 5.25 drive that still works, so I imagine that one of those combo drives would be highly prized and uncommon.

Anyway, yeah I would totally add an internal Jaz drive and an internal MO drive (magneto optical disk). Or maybe an orb drive... a bernoulli drive, archival tape drive, the options are pretty endless. There are many, many, dead and obscure formats

Reply 4 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Having two optic drives can be handy.
On the fly copping of cd/dvds and being able to install two programs at once. Not to mention old games the required a cd, well you can leave your two favorite games in the system. Oh and some latter DVD drives don't have a cd audio cable support. So if you have a latter DVD drive and still want cd audio.

Reply 5 of 17, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing's a Full House without Bob Saget.

Joking aside, that's a fabulous build. That Acer monitor sure brings back memories; I had one just like it back in 97 or so! 😀

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 6 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really liking this build! 😁

I've used a couple of those HDD caddies myself but in the end I ended up never using it as it was easier to simply have the side panel removed and lay the drive on the bottom of the case and attach cables directly.

And how about SCSI? 😜
Or a 2.88MB floppy drive! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's funny how newer cases seem to have less and less drive bays compared to the old days.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Didn't you hear? Everything can just be stored in the cloud (beamed up there by wireless, presumably).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

It's funny how newer cases seem to have less and less drive bays compared to the old days.

This is actually a main reason for me to keep using older cases for even way newer builds 😵
It's annoying and cramped and limited.
And I also don't like cases with the PSU on the bottom, but I'm getting a bit distracted here now 😊

gdjacobs wrote:

Didn't you hear? Everything can just be stored in the cloud (beamed up there by wireless, presumably).

Yes lets link up everyone all the time! It's good! It's connection! It's even better and more important than breathing air! If you don't connect and share everything you must be some lame stone or something...

I like it as an option to quickly share larger files with someone but for storage I'd rather keep things close and under my own control 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

And I also don't like cases with the PSU on the bottom, but I'm getting a bit distracted here now 😊

Some time in the future I will upgrade my main PC case, which will make available one of these older Gigabyte cases. But stay tuned for some time machines, I don't think you will like them 🤣

Reply 11 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Some time in the future I will upgrade my main PC case, which will make available one of these older Gigabyte cases. But stay tuned for some time machines, I don't think you will like them 🤣

Metal Christmas trees? 😢

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Yes lets link up everyone all the time! It's good! It's connection! It's even better and more important than breathing air! If you don't connect and share everything you must be some lame stone or something...

Me = Lame Stone I guess

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 17, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the back, with the cool blue led case can, gold power supply and the cards 😀

Attachments

• 20170224_210953.jpg
    Filename
    20170224_210953.jpg
    File size
    3.41 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 17, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

It seems to be more common now to not even have an optical drive in a modern build since most modern games are online downloads. But...why? CDs are definitely not obsolete yet and it's just so handy to have one installed imo 😕

Reply 15 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cj_reha wrote:

It seems to be more common now to not even have an optical drive in a modern build since most modern games are online downloads. But...why? CDs are definitely not obsolete yet and it's just so handy to have one installed imo 😕

I think people just install Windows from a USB flash drive these days and all the games are downloads.

Reply 16 of 17, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The feeling of installing boxed version of GTA V... 7 dual-layer DVDs, no download can match it. 🤣

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 17 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Me = Lame Stone I guess

And the lameness of your stone is inversely proportional to the amount of your daily number of meaningless social media messages multiplied by your total number of binary "friends" whom you have only met digitally...and you get substraction point for every time you complain about this.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

I think people just install Windows from a USB flash drive these days and all the games are downloads.

I think the digital copy isn't actually much of a problem. It's more the DRM stuff and the "you always have to be connected to the internet!"-stuff that tends to tick me off.

And I do like having actual physical copies of my games, it looks so much better when looking at them and actually be able to touch the stuff (especially the really old one which had manuals heavier than bricks! 😁)

Report spammers here!