VOGONS

First post, by Tek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Afternoon Vogons.

Got to thank this community specifically for the great help and advice it offers. I posted up a Voodoo 2 build over two years go and immediately was inundated with helpful information to improve the build. I've been through trials with this machine and am no absolutely chuffed with it. I wanted to make an authentic "ultimate" machine for 1998.

The build video is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgcquz_oeEs - Components listed below:

Soyo SY-6BA+4 440BX mobo. This board is a workhorse that has taken everything I've thrown at it. Thanks to jmannik for showing me about UDMA/66!
I bought a 450mhz P2 CPU on eBay, but actually some guys on here and http://www.cpu-collection.de helped me ID that in fact I'd been shipped a 700mhz P3. Not '98 accurate, but it's not my fault!
512mb PC100 RAM.
In my previous build I was using a Riva TNT 2 (an old Gainward OEM one) which was too new for the build. Considering I wanted to use Voodoo 2s, it was pointless it being in there. So it's been replaced with a Diamond Stealth II G460. There's a laundry list of 2D GPUs for the era but Diamond always stood out to me. The S3 Savage was a card I was always lustful toward so when I was shortlisting, the Stealth II stood out. Apparently people have had issues with theirs and some people talk trash about the card but so far I've been having a good time with it.
2x Creative 3D Blaster 12mb Voodoo 2. The beating heart of the PC, something that I was super excited to own.
I was previously using a SoundBlaster Live! as I expected it to work in DOS and Win98. That was a pipe dream! Again, VOGONs members helped me in recommending the SoundBlaster AWE64 for my sound card. I've not given it a thorough testing, but philscomputerlab pointed me toward the most recent drivers and I've experience great performance (so far)!
My old 52x CD-Rom drive (which I remember buying in ~1998) and a 40gb(?) Seagate Barracuda.

Thanks to the posts and community here on VOGONs I was able to get this far. I'm a bit of a dolt so being able to rely on people who are much smarter than me is fantastic. One thing I am good at is finding a bargain so I aim to make a video about that shortly. I've not paid anywhere near "retail" price for these components. So I do have something to lend the community!

Special thanks to PhilsComputerLab, Nahkri, jmannik, leileilol and Mau1wurf1977 for helping to troubleshoot some issues and for being great, candid and humble members of this awesome site. I hope you all enjoy the build video.

We'll karaoke all night long, macarena 'til the break of dawn.

Reply 2 of 3, by Tek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Richo wrote:

Nice video. Enjoyed watching it.
Nice system, enjoy!

Thanks mate. I'm already enjoying it! As mentioned, I've had the lion's share of this build for two years - this represents two years of re-learning stuff I should have already known. Thanks for commenting.

We'll karaoke all night long, macarena 'til the break of dawn.

Reply 3 of 3, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Tek wrote:
Richo wrote:

Nice video. Enjoyed watching it.
Nice system, enjoy!

Thanks mate. I'm already enjoying it! As mentioned, I've had the lion's share of this build for two years - this represents two years of re-learning stuff I should have already known. Thanks for commenting.

Ya kinda forget most of it after not using it for a few years, at least I have that problem currently. Your video is alot better then most youtubers posting retro builds, which is what got me back into retro computers (after watching a few videos of very poorly made videos and computer I knew I could do better).