VOGONS

First post, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

01. Dual Pentium 3 1.0EB GHz / 2048MB SD133 CL2 / Epox EP-D3VA / TEST CARD Geforce FX 5200 128MB / or any suggestions?
02. Pentium III-S 1400MHz (Tualatin-512k) SL6BY / 512MB SD133 2-3-2-8 / Asus TUSL2-C / Voodoo 5 5500 64MB AGP 2x
03. Mobile Pentium II-PE 366MHz (Dixon) / 224MB SD66 CL2 2-2-2 / ThinkPad 600E (440BX) / NeoMagic MagicMedia256AV (Thinkpad 600E)

I already have Windows 98SE running on most of the others, so I don't really need another one. Any suggestions?
Should I install Windows 95 on system 03 since it has no 3D accelerator anyway?

What about OS/2?

Last edited by Arctic on 2017-05-05, 12:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always say: decide what you're going to do with these systems, and choose the OS accordingly. If they're just going to go in a corner and collect dust, then it doesn't really matter what you choose. I guess I'm not much fun. 😜

If you have some burning need for the Windows 95 experience, then go ahead and install it, but I can't see any particular advantage that would give you on a system with 224 MB of RAM.

If you install OS/2 then it is very likely you will spend half an hour poking at it and then never use it again.

Reply 3 of 9, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote:

I always say: decide what you're going to do with these systems, and choose the OS accordingly. If they're just going to go in a corner and collect dust, then it doesn't really matter what you choose. I guess I'm not much fun. 😜

If you have some burning need for the Windows 95 experience, then go ahead and install it, but I can't see any particular advantage that would give you on a system with 224 MB of RAM.

If you install OS/2 then it is very likely you will spend half an hour poking at it and then never use it again.

I am not a beginner in this area. So creating problems and solving them is part of the hobby for me.
Installing an OS that I have never used before will most likely create problems. Solving them is fun! 😁

I am not trying to build a machine with a purpose per sé...

So no recommendations besides Windows 98 and Windows XP?
I was hoping to hear something along the lines of:

"If you have an xyz, you should totally install OS blah.
Then you could check out yaddeeyah and such."

Last edited by Arctic on 2017-05-06, 09:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, you're just looking for random operating systems that will cause problems?

Plan 9
Solaris
BeOS
NetBSD
OS/2
Syllable
Breadbox Ensemble
ReactOS
Darwin x86
Android x86 / RemixOS
QNX
EDIT: MenuetOS

I don't think it matters what you try to install them on, since using non-recommended hardware will cause more problems.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2017-05-08, 01:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of those, NetBSD should be a pretty smooth experience, actually. The others? Various levels of sticky. Though I do rather like OS/2 - pure crazy sentimentalism. It's what I had on my first "real computer".

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 8 of 9, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At 224MB? You can get away with minimal Debian Stable if considering any Linux distros.

Bare minimum required RAM for Debian is 128MB with just the console.
With a desktop, you need 256MB.

PC hardware: Ryzen 5 4500, 32GB RAM, 1TB SN 570 Linux drive, 500GB 970 EVO Plus Windows drive, 2TB 970 EVO Plus games drive, 1TB 870 EVO extra storage drive, RX 6600 GPU, EndeavourOS/Win10 dual-boot

Reply 9 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

System 1 I would go with Win2k and play Win9x games on it
System 3, Stupid fast Win3x? http://ps-2.kev009.com/pcpartnerinfo/ctstips/edda.htm