Western Digital 6,4 GB HD
Nakamichi 4x speed 4-disc changer

Reply 1 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well that's different!
I thought were talking about the way 486's were sold with a sound card and CD-ROM had multimedia on the sales literature back in the 90's

Not something that actually had a bit of credibility. with tuners and cd changers.
What do you actually use it for though? isn't it still a bit to slow to take advantage of the above?

Reply 2 of 5, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, you can watch TV and record TV-shows in 320x240. This works fairly good. Sure, the image quality is not comparable with today´s standards, but i guess it was okay back then on a 14 inch monitor. And with a CD changer you can put more on your favourite music playlist than with a single drive.
So this is maybe a little bit more multimedia than the usual "sound card and CD-ROM" thing, but totally realistic for a 1995 system.

Reply 3 of 5, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! That case looks really clean! 486 + TV Tuner is really interesting!

By the way, how hot does the 5x86 get with passive cooling? I thought a fan was kind of necessary for those...

Reply 4 of 5, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depends on the size of the cooler. I use an Intel boxed cooler intended for S370 celerons i guess. It would be better with the fins oriented vertically, but sufficient cooling is provided anyway

Reply 5 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The case looks nice, but that is probably the best that can be said about it. It used to be my go to case during the PII era, as I could get them for $35 brand new.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium