VOGONS

First post, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We live in an unfortunate time for Pentium iii enthusiasts, such as myself. Though, I personally love the Pentium ii and 1 more. I typically fall back to the Pentium iii for software support reasons. The time is unfortunate, because Pentium iii based machine's prices are sky high right now, even more so than the older and quite frankly more scarce Pentium ii generation (in comparison).

So, in this post we will go over one of my luckiest thrift store hits ever.

GX150PC.jpg
Filename
GX150PC.jpg
File size
2.12 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This, is the Dell Optiplex GX150, and it is one of the most flawlessly clean and well kept PC I have ever received used. While the outside appears to be a little banged up, the insides, just have a bloody look!

20170830_010510_HDR1.jpg
Filename
20170830_010510_HDR1.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
20170830_010904_HDR1.jpg
Filename
20170830_010904_HDR1.jpg
File size
1.66 MiB
Views
File license

It's practically new in there! The funny thing is, I didn't even clean this out to my best abilities, I guess I didn't need to. I have barely touched this system since I bought it, the video linked at the end of this post is the third time I ever used this PC. I feel a little bad for not using it, it's a really nice system.

The specs are (and are maxed out to the best of this system's abilities)

CPU: Intel Pentium iii Tualatin 1.20Ghz 256MB L2 Cache
RAM: 384MB PC133 (128MB and 256MB sticks)
GPU: AGP Nvidia GeForce 6200 256MB (I have like 10 GeForce 6200s, so expect to see this every time)
HDD: 30GB Western Digital
OS: Windows XP SP3 (I need to really wipe and reload it to improve performance..)

Now ladies and gentlemen, here is the relatively short story of how I acquired this very nice system.

I rarely, visit thrift stores purely out of being broke all of the time, but, this was one of my lucky days. I had only $15, and was NOT expecting a full PC to be at the thrift store I was going to.

I stopped by a Savers, and, the building is relatively big, but regardless, as soon as I walked in, I noticed on the complete other side of the store, the GX150.

I didn't expect it to be a Pentium iii PC, I was actually expecting a Dell Optiplex GX270/280 Pentium 4 PC.
Then I seen the sticker, I had a heart attack, this couldn't be true!
I open it up, and sure enough, Pentium iii based. Well, if you could see through the infestation of dust and cockroaches. egehggegkleh 🙁
It was a mess in there, and was hard to tell if the system even worked. But, due to the notorious reliability of PCs from this era, I had a strong feeling it worked.
It had an AGP slot! I have been searching for an affordable Pentium iii PC with an AGP slot for the LONGEST time, and I have finally found it. And it's a high performance Pentium iii PC! Well, CPU wise...
Savers wanted $40 for the system, way too much for me and I didn't even have that much. I went to one of the people that worked there and asked for the manager. I pointed out to the manager the cockroach infestation and how the PC (on the outside, 🤣) was a wreak, and asked if I could purchase it for $15. The manager happily agreed.

And so I happily brought my first Pentium iii desktop PC I have ever owned, home, for WAY less than Ebay sellers sell them for, I mean really, freggin' $300 for SSE1 instructions? Heck no I'd rather get a Pentium ii PC and stick with MMX.

So yeah, it's a fantastic system, but due to PC software limitations, 384MB is a bottleneck, only if software was optimized to insanity...

Anyways, here are some goodies boys, I present to you, this beast running GTA SA with graphics enhancement mods and UHD/HD car mods. It does seem to completely max out the sub-par amount of memory and trust me, I would give this PC 512MB of RAM in an instant if I could.

(WARNING: If you do not like Dubstep music, ear rape warning, mute the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMAym0Mj33w

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM
1MB Trident 3D capable GPU
250GB Western Digital IDE drive
OS(s): Windows 98/Windows 2000 SP1

Reply 1 of 10, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
0101000000110101 wrote:

We live in an unfortunate time for Pentium iii enthusiasts, such as myself. Though, I personally love the Pentium ii and 1 more. I typically fall back to the Pentium iii for software support reasons. The time is unfortunate, because Pentium iii based machine's prices are sky high right now, even more so than the older and quite frankly more scarce Pentium ii generation (in comparison).

Is it??I still own a lot PIII stuff, from Dual 500 Mhz to some Tualatin machines... Ooohhh eBay I'm coming... 🤣

I'm more for the Athlon XP machines 😊

But nice machine indeed.

Last edited by Roman78 on 2017-08-31, 13:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
0101000000110101 wrote:

This, is the Dell Optiplex GX150, and it is one of the most flawlessly clean and well kept PC I have ever received used. While the outside appears to be a little banged up, the insides, just have a bloody look! It's practically new in there! The funny thing is, I didn't even clean this out to my best abilities, I guess I didn't need to.

0101000000110101 wrote:

I open it up, and sure enough, Pentium iii based. Well, if you could see through the infestation of dust and cockroaches. egehggegkleh 🙁
It was a mess in there, and was hard to tell if the system even worked.

??

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 10, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice, I too have a Dell Optiplex GX150 desktop. It's currently my 98SE/2k desktop setup. the main reason I bought it was because I have a matching black Dell setup (keyboard, mouse, monitor, and speakers) and wanted a black P3 system to match it so this was the best choice. 😊

I once had a GX260 with the same case design, unfortunately it suffered from case damage over the years of owning it and it's now just a motherboard that I use for testing hardware; there's also a Dimension 4300S which is basically a consumer-oriented GX240 Small Desktop and is my secondary 9x machine.

0101000000110101 wrote:

So yeah, it's a fantastic system, but due to PC software limitations, 384MB is a bottleneck, only if software was optimized to insanity...

Anyways, here are some goodies boys, I present to you, this beast running GTA SA with graphics enhancement mods and UHD/HD car mods. It does seem to completely max out the sub-par amount of memory and trust me, I would give this PC 512MB of RAM in an instant if I could.

You can replace the 128MB stick with a 256MB stick to get 512MB of RAM, I can definitely confirm this works because the one I have is set up like that. not sure if 512MB DIMMs will work, I know it does on other Dell systems from the similar era but I'm not sure about the GX150.

0101000000110101 wrote:

And so I happily brought my first Pentium iii desktop PC I have ever owned, home, for WAY less than Ebay sellers sell them for, I mean really, freggin' $300 for SSE1 instructions? Heck no I'd rather get a Pentium ii PC and stick with MMX.

It's a shame most eBay sellers think old hardware is worth tons of money these days because it really shuts out those who aren't willing to pay premium for refurbished systems. in fact I dare say the one I bought was the cheapest out of all the eBay listings at the time, even though I *sort of* overspent due to shipping (the item itself was $59.99 and the shipping was an extra $33.28 so in total it was $93.27).

Reply 4 of 10, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Socket 370 is the third most common retro pc I often find after P4s and Socket A..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 10, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Should have offered 10$, could have gotten lucky.

Anyway for 15$ its a grate deal. And with that 1.2ghz your be able to do quite alot but dont be surprised if you start craving the rar power if a 1.4ghz piii-s

Reply 6 of 10, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Someone was confused about how it was clean.

As I said the system APPEARED dirty beyond cleaning, but surprisingly a lot of air compressor use and a little bit of windex made this thing way more clean than 90% of my systems, which says a lot becauze I keep my systems spotless.

And no, I have tried two 256MB sticks in each slot, and RAM slot 1 does not like anything above 128MB. I do not have any plans of upgrading the CPU of this machine, I have a thing for lower frequency CPUs.

Pentium iii PCs are the most popular choice, as the used to be the cheapest, but, today are the most readily avalible still. As for other reasons why people choose them, beats me.

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM
1MB Trident 3D capable GPU
250GB Western Digital IDE drive
OS(s): Windows 98/Windows 2000 SP1

Reply 7 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me P4 is where WinXP really starts.
P3 is all about Win9x/2k gaming, and you have the making for one hell of a fast 9x/2k Gaming rig.
What you using for audio in it?

Reply 9 of 10, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

For me P4 is where WinXP really starts.
P3 is all about Win9x/2k gaming, and you have the making for one hell of a fast 9x/2k Gaming rig.
What you using for audio in it?

The GX150 was an early XP machine so to me it's sort-of interesting to see how XP runs on its' "designed" hardware considering SP3 was considered bloatware compared to earlier Service Packs 😜 , there are also some early P4 systems that do wonders for 9x gaming thanks to driver support sticking around long enough.

These systems have onboard Intel AC97 audio and I assume he's using that since there's no sound card in the inside picture. Mine has a Sound Blaster Live! PCI sound card.

Reply 10 of 10, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those are good boards, they seem very well made and reliable.
You have the more desirable version also - most GX150s are Coppermine-only but yours is the later version which supports Tualatins.
Just so you know, the GX150 uses a standard ATX power supply. There's confusion about that with Dells sometimes.

0101000000110101 wrote:

I have tried two 256MB sticks in each slot, and RAM slot 1 does not like anything above 128MB. I do not have any plans of upgrading the CPU of this machine, I have a thing for lower frequency CPUs.

I don't know why it's not working, but the GX150 definitely supports 512MB. I think I've even used a single (16-chip) 512MB module in one, but I've definitely used pairs of 256MB in them. I had one running long term that way.
It should work with the same RAM that works in other i815 boards, the only special issue I can think of is that Dell BIOSes actively refuse to boot with unbuffered ECC modules ("normal" boards just ignore the ECC and run with them).