VOGONS

First post, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As you may know from a couple of the drive bay expansion parts (specifically the 5.25" bay drawer and the Silverstone 3.5" USB/Audio/1394 bracket) from the Bought these retro hardware today topic. I've been slowly piecing together an AMD64 build for early/mid Windows XP era gaming.

This was one of my childhood computers that we bought second-hand back in 2009, it was my daily driver for about a year and a half until it was put into hiatus due to a bit of a mishap from my younger self trying to take it apart and ended up bending the pins on the CPU. We were struggling through some personal house-related problems during this hiatus so getting this fixed had to be put in the back-burner, in the meantime I ended up with 3 different XP and Vista era systems for daily driver usage (two of which were trash-picked from my dad's workplace). By 2013 I finally got around to re-purposing this system with some spare parts I had and some parts that I bought through eBay shopping and from semi-frequent trips to RE-PC.

This computer is mainly used for playing games that are compatible with Windows XP yet are old enough to play nice with the hardware in this rig (i.e. known-compatible games from the '90s, most games from 2000-2004, and casual games up to ~2007). Here I present to you my AMD Athlon 64 build which is a close reconstruction of my childhood machine from '09.

Specifications:
Case: Some generic ATX gaming PC case from 2003 (does anyone know if it has a known model name?)
PSU: EVGA 600B 600W ATX 80-plus Bronze power supply
Mobo: ASUS A8V Full-ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2 GHz (512KB L2 Cache, 200/800 MHz FSB, Socket 939, Single Core)
RAM: 2GB (2x1GB) PC-3200 DDR SDRAM
Graphics: Sapphire ATI Radeon x800 GTO 256MB AGP 8x video card
Optical: NEC ND-3520A 8x DVD-RW Drive (IDE/PATA)
Floppy: Teac 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive
HDD: 7200RPM 160GB Seagate hard drive (SATA v1)
OS: Currently dual-booting Windows XP Professional SP3 and Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP2

Some future plans for this system:
- Finding four spare 80mm fans to use the case's front and back fan holders to their full potential.
- Get a PCI Firewire card with a front panel header to make use of the front Firewire port - could come in handy if I ever want to deal with a Firewire device with support for Windows.
- Is it worth it to add some XP-era PCI Sound Blaster like an Audigy 2 or an X-Fi? If so then that may be a considerable bucket list plan.

Originally this was going to be my all-around XP gaming rig, but since there are some later XP-era games where a dual-core CPU is a necessity, this build will mainly be targeted towards older games where a single-core CPU is good enough. Newer/resource-intensive XP-era games will be played on my modified HP DC7800 desktop (a thread for that system will be coming soon).

Pictures? Well, here are a few pictures of this machine:

AMD64 Rig Front.jpg
Filename
AMD64 Rig Front.jpg
File size
907 KiB
Views
File comment
A view of the front and side of the AMD64 rig
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
AMD64 Rig Back.jpg
Filename
AMD64 Rig Back.jpg
File size
1.41 MiB
Views
File comment
The back of the AMD64 rig
File license
AMD64 Rig Glowing Side.jpg
Filename
AMD64 Rig Glowing Side.jpg
File size
756.49 KiB
Views
File comment
A lights-off view of the glowing side panel fan
File license
Last edited by KCompRoom2000 on 2018-07-17, 21:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Case: Some generic ATX gaming PC case from 2003 (does anyone know if it has a known model name?)

In the mid 2000 I really hated the blingbling chassis, they were everywhere and just about every one had to have a window in their computer and ledfans. Now, a decade later, it fills me with a feeling of nostalgia. Very well done, I like the build, with all it's 2003ish feeling 😀

Reply 2 of 7, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dottoss wrote:

Very well done, I like the build, with all it's 2003ish feeling 😀

Thank you for the comment. Ever since a week of posting about this, the only thing that has changed so far is the video card because the BFG Geforce 7800GS OC video card silently died with nothing more than a black screen on bootup attempts as pointed out on this post here, originally after a few pushes on the reset button it would start to work and now it won't budge no matter what. After owning that video card for 6 years I feel like I used it for as long as reasonably possible, I suppose a recap and/or a reflow may help bring it back but that's a side project for another time. In the meantime I'm using a Sapphire ATI Radeon x800 GTO card which seems more period-correct for the 2004 generation hardware yet is just a step backwards from the 7800GS.

Now I have a couple more pics to show of this system:

AMD64 Rig Inside.jpg
Filename
AMD64 Rig Inside.jpg
File size
2.31 MiB
Views
File comment
AMD64 inside shot with X800
File license

And speaking of 2003 hardware. On the bottom of the case there's a sticker that contains information on the hardware that the case was originally equipped with (An AMD Athlon XP 3000+ / MSI KT4 Ultra rig sounds temptingly interesting).

IMG_0163.JPG
Filename
IMG_0163.JPG
File size
800.01 KiB
Views
File comment
What the case once held when it was new
File license

Before anyone asks why it says "Clear Dreamer Blue" when it looks black, it's because I spray-painted the case black not that long after I bought it. 😊

Reply 3 of 7, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a minor update, since the stock AMD CPU fan sounded like a jet engine on full load, I replaced it with a Nexus 70mm 3-pin fan.

IMG_1878.JPG
Filename
IMG_1878.JPG
File size
312.55 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1879.JPG
Filename
IMG_1879.JPG
File size
537.84 KiB
Views
File comment
Old fan and new fan side by side
File license

After doing a CPU stress test for an hour, I can certainly say that the new fan (right) is much quieter than the old (left) one.

Expect some new benchmarks and another minor update soon.

Reply 4 of 7, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a similar setup so I'm very curious about the performance of this machine.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 5 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not a fan of that particular case, but I do like the rest 😜

I could advice you to remove the honeycomb-like metal covering the 2 rear fan exhaust spots, this will dramatically improve airflow while making your rig more silent at the same time. Provided you actually install some extra case fans there 😜
The A8V is a nice board. Did it have the "Plus" southbridge? (well it technically not a southbridge, but you get what I mean).
It's basically put well together, the parts are a good match to each other and I've used 3 similar rigs myself with great content 😀

The PSU is probably even a bit overkill, but it beats having an underpowered PSU that kills 😁

2GB DDR-400 is a good pick, it's basically a given to use that amount for a late XP rig. The 160GB harddrive should be plenty for a rig only used for to run games from optical drives. I only ever managed to fill up an 80GB equipped A64 due to me starting to save some movies onto it 🤣

Nicely done!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 7, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
I'm not a fan of that particular case, but I do like the rest :P […]
Show full quote

I'm not a fan of that particular case, but I do like the rest 😜

I could advice you to remove the honeycomb-like metal covering the 2 rear fan exhaust spots, this will dramatically improve airflow while making your rig more silent at the same time. Provided you actually install some extra case fans there 😜
The A8V is a nice board. Did it have the "Plus" southbridge? (well it technically not a southbridge, but you get what I mean).
It's basically put well together, the parts are a good match to each other and I've used 3 similar rigs myself with great content 😀

The PSU is probably even a bit overkill, but it beats having an underpowered PSU that kills 😁

2GB DDR-400 is a good pick, it's basically a given to use that amount for a late XP rig. The 160GB harddrive should be plenty for a rig only used for to run games from optical drives. I only ever managed to fill up an 80GB equipped A64 due to me starting to save some movies onto it 🤣

Nicely done!

Thanks for the comment, I know what you mean about the case, the old acrylic glass on the side panel was very fragile and had the habit of cracking on its own, so I managed to get a polycarbonate replica made at a local glass shop, no need to worry about the side panel anymore. I'll look into the suggestion for removing the honeycomb-like grate on the fan exhaust and use ordinary 80mm fan grates as an alternative. As for the power supply, I went through three different power supplies throughout the system's lifetime (a Logisys "480W", an Apevia 480W, and an Antec 450W) and they all felt too cheap, so this EVGA 600W Bronze one is a nice replacement.

Here are the benchmarks:

3DMark 2001 - 15706 3DMarks:

3DMark 2001 AMD64 ATIX800.PNG
Filename
3DMark 2001 AMD64 ATIX800.PNG
File size
587.06 KiB
Views
File license

3DMark 2003 - 8636 3DMarks:

3DMark 2003 AMD64 ATIX800.PNG
Filename
3DMark 2003 AMD64 ATIX800.PNG
File size
954.05 KiB
Views
File license

Not quite what I expected for a high-end 2005 graphics card, but it may be worth trying older driver versions to improve the score.

Windows Experience Index (Vista):

AMD64 Vista WEI Info.png
Filename
AMD64 Vista WEI Info.png
File size
473.55 KiB
Views
File license

The latest possible Catalyst driver version (10.2) was used for both 3DMark benchmarks, Windows Vista came with drivers for every piece of hardware in this system, so the default Microsoft WDDM drivers were used in the WEI benchmark.

When I have some spare time on my hands, I might get around to trying different Catalyst drivers to improve the 3DMark 2003 score.

Reply 7 of 7, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know the status of your build and your bucket list from the original post, but why not join points 2 and 3? Get an Audigy2 and use its firewire header for your case! The sound card is worth it, imo.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce