VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone,

I like hot, loud and unreliable old systems as much as the next person* but sometimes I just want to enjoy my retro games on something a bit more modern... I present you the Intel D525MW SOC motherboard!

*when standing next to a nerd reading VOGONS

plrZjGLh.jpg

It's a passively cooled Intel Atom based motherboard. A few quick stats:

Intel Atom D525 (2C4T 1.8GHz) Soldered CPU
Intel GMA 3150 Graphics
Realtek HD Audio blah blah blah
2GB Laptop DDR3 800MHz RAM
Mini PCI-E
PCI expansions slot

I purchased this for £15 from ebay from someone who had hundreds of them. I've always been interested in little passive set-ups like this; pushing the boundaries at the bottom end rather than the top end. At somepoint I'm going to try to grab an AM1 setup.

Anyway it dates from 2010 or so, so not retro in the slightest. But with a reasonable sounding CPU (for an Atom) I hoped it could become an early XP gaming PC, especially as drivers are all available for XP. I mounted it in my case I use for my non-main PCs, looked a bit lost in there!

swQYbwCh.jpg

Long story short, it was a bit rubbish.

GTA:VC would lag horribly if I looked into the distance
GTA:SA was unplayable
Ford Racing 3 was playable but, let's be honest, who wants to play Ford Racing 3
Max Payne 1 was just about playable
Max Payne 2 was just about unplayable
Half-Life 2 a train wreck
3DMark 2001SE score of 3410.

Long live MS Office 2000!
jZLGOkJ.png
(Testing at 1280*1024)

I tried to upgrade it with a PCI ATI 9250. This cost £5.

vMFke1Ih.jpg

GTA:VC was playable
GTA:SA was still unplayable
Ford Racing 3 was thankfully now completely unplayable for some reason
Max Payne 1 and 2 were improved
3DMark 2001SE score of 4141

uPHy8jo.png

So was it even an improvement?

zi2oPtS.png

ehhh... yeah maybe? I assume some games are CPU bound. This biggest improvement was games with long viewing distances (VC and HL2) which I am assuming is something to do with having built in VRAM.

I was hoping this board would quite a bit more powerful than this. In fact, my 2.4GHz P4 / MX440 / 1GB set-up is significantly faster in Vice City! Would I recommend you make a set up like this? Balls no! You could get a much better system for £20! In fact I have just done so!

I've now got Windows 7 running on it with an SSD and 4GB RAM, and it actually great for general usage. No problems with Spotify, Chrome, Steam all online. With a high end (quiet) PSU this could be a nice lite usage HTPC (you know, what it was probably designed for!)

The moral of the story is always buy retro 😎

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We had some TVs where I works that came with ATOM based computer modules.... complete and utter trash.

Unreliable, super slow, took forever to install even a single update and were just about too slow to even reliably display a slideshow.

I was really, really glad when I was able to finally replace that trash with some micro form factor Dell Optiplex 3010 computers.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have that Atom cpu in my home firewall/router. Runs IPFire great. That's about all I'd use it for, though. It is weak, even with 4 threads.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Atoms of that era were meant to be power-efficient not to compete cpus in speed. I've had various atom-based helper computers over the years doing stuff like surveillance or torrenting . I still use one as a 24/7 downloading machine that uses sodimm ddr-3 ram.
If you know WHY you are getting an Atom then they are excellent little machines, if you think you'll replace your normal desktop with one then you are lying to yourself 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 16, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In general, any (old) games you may try to play on there at a reasonable clip are unlikely to be multithreaded. Your Atom has two cores and four threads, which is probably why it's adequate in Windows 7, but it's unlikely to be doing much for those games you were trying. So, it's most likely your lack of increased performance with the 9250 comes down to being hamstrung by the Atom chip.

Reply 8 of 16, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yea Diamondville/Pineville Atoms suck, they are next to useless. You could probably make a killer DOS gaming rig if you threw a SB compatible PCI card in there. Or use DOSBox on your Win7 install it would emulate out to something like a Pentium 66 class chip which is still good enough for most DOS gaming.

Also I find it amusing your using a 500w PSU for an atom + 9250. I wonder if your even using 65w at max load.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 11 of 16, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It probably works great for playing DOOM, or running a little web/FTP server, or something like that. Not much else.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12 of 16, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well someone bumped one of my old threads!

Sorry, this board is long gone on account of not being very good :p I have no idea what bus the graphics was using.

Good news! I replaced it with this, which is worse, but in some ways much better.

ffiZCcYh.jpg

It's an 800MHz VIA CPU soldered passive tjing that I sometimes use for DOS gaming with a PCI soundcard.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 13 of 16, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's really a shame. I honestly believe Atom was an AMAZING product, just marketed poorly. People shat on the processors for being in notebooks and for not being "As fast" as the cpu's that took 2-3x more power and 2-3x more die space. for 2008 to have a 2.5W (up to 8w) CPU that could do light tasks, was amazing. I had one of those netbooks, and my only complaint was the screen. I wanted a screen that could do 1024x768, not the 1024x700 everyone made. If not for those ~70k pixels, I'd still be using the things for dosbox.

Side note; I ahve one of thise VIA boards as well, but I have the 1ghz model. needs a re-cap, but I have a project in mind for it. Someday.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14 of 16, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently snagged a HP Mini 210-2190NR and was wondering what to do with it. Atom N455 (1 core 2 thread 1.66ghz) GMA3150 1024x600 screen. Was wondering if I could use a USB gamepad and run Mame on it.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 15 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At one time my family and I had Atom notebooks and couple of Atom motherboards once.

Problem is Atom is so crippled in both CPU and iGPU as they were made with in order execution means they so poor performance-wise vs other processors with out of order execution that started with Pentium Pro, even the Pentium M has it as well gave excellent performance. The Atom's GPU is so crippled vs the x3100 and x4500 that was out prior to Atom introduction. Also they break the DOS compatibility as well since they started with 965 chip set which is post dos incompatibility.
At one time, I tried a PCI video card and actually slowed board down!

Amd CPU that competed with Atom were much better actually but breaks dos as well.

So we wasted then threw them out, also one of them suffered failure: Asus Atom netbook died in a year. not again. I kept pentium M computers as I might sometimes need one with XP to help out with software compatibility for fun and for work.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 16 of 16, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first generation of atom CPUs lacked certain instructions and Out-of-Order processing. I don't know if that fully explains the lack of performance, but it could be a start.

More modern atom SOCs are actually pretty fast... relatively speaking. They compare pretty well with modern smart phones in both performance and power consumption.

I had a first generation netbook and it was completely worthless for gaming. Worse than my P4 Xp machine with integrated graphics. An HD 2400 pro PCI might perform ok, if you care to track one down. It is a "fast" PCI graphics card for XP.