VOGONS

Reply 40 of 52, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe I am mistaken but didn’t IBM offer OEM SLC/SLC2 overdrives for the model 30?

Those being OEM IBM parts
(IBM CPU + IBM adapter)
would probably be the fastest

https://books.google.com/books?id=fzwEAAAAMBA … 0upgrade&f=true

Last edited by rmay635703 on 2021-12-03, 17:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 41 of 52, by demonlg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for fast response, sorry for my english, i'm italian,

1)i have desoldered the NEC765BC and i have soldered a socket for this chip and another chip, but i have the same problem. If i remove this chip the duble error 603 at the post screen is not showed and the computer try to boot from hdd, but hdd on this board not boot properly, This computer working perfect last week, then after my error on floppy it's stopped to boot from hdd and 603 error, my damage on floppy controller intact the hdd boot process?

2) The ISA IDE/FLOPPY card i have installed ok, i have removed it now.

3) I don't understand, you recommend the card XT-IDE? Or a Bios Pathed for this support? I' have a startup disk of this machine, i have to change any settings in it? Yes the card is the same of your, and i have another 2 ISA audio card, one soundblaster 16 with IDE, and one AdvanceLogic with IDE.

Thanks

Reply 42 of 52, by demonlg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have translate your message, ok i have an ISA BNC+10Mbit RJ45 network card with a empty ROM socket, is this your way? In this case i have a eprom programmer, if you have a rom file and specific eprom to use i will try it.

Reply 43 of 52, by MN_Moody

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-12-03, 14:45:
Maybe I am mistaken but didn’t IBM offer OEM SLC/SLC2 overdrives for the model 30? […]
Show full quote

Maybe I am mistaken but didn’t IBM offer OEM SLC/SLC2 overdrives for the model 30?

Those being OEM IBM parts
(IBM CPU + IBM adapter)
would probably be the fastest

https://books.google.com/books?id=fzwEAAAAMBA … 0upgrade&f=true

I found a PS/2 model 30 with the 25 mhz SX variant installed, which includes a socket for a 386 class overdrive processor. Here's some additional info:

http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/kingston.htm

Reply 44 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
demonlg wrote on 2021-12-03, 16:07:
Thanks for fast response, sorry for my english, i'm italian, […]
Show full quote

1)i have desoldered the NEC765BC and i have soldered a socket for this chip and another chip, but i have the same problem. If i remove this chip the duble error 603 at the post screen is not showed and the computer try to boot from hdd, but hdd on this board not boot properly, This computer working perfect last week, then after my error on floppy it's stopped to boot from hdd and 603 error, my damage on floppy controller intact the hdd boot process?

3) I don't understand, you recommend the card XT-IDE? Or a Bios Pathed for this support? I' have a startup disk of this machine, i have to change any settings in it? Yes the card is the same of your, and i have another 2 ISA audio card, one soundblaster 16 with IDE, and one AdvanceLogic with IDE.

Thanks

1) I am not sure sorry.

2) If it works, and the old floppy controller is removed, it might be fine.

3) XT-IDE card and XT-IDE BIOS are different things. XT-IDE BIOS is a BIOS Extension - it only replaces the HDD routines in the System BIOS. Use the card same as mine, and put an EPROM containing a correctly-configured XT-IDE BIOS Extension, in a ROM socket on a network card or a DoubleROM card.
https://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/
https://monotech.fwscart.com/DoubleROM_-_IDE_ … 4_19995208.aspx

Reply 47 of 52, by nztdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
demonlg wrote on 2021-12-04, 13:14:

Ok, what type of eprom i have to use? 27c512 ?

Depends on what the ROM socket supports. Check the network card manual.

If using DoubleROM card, I can include an EPROM.

You can use 27C64, 27C128, 28C64, 28C256.
Not compatible with 27C256 or 27C512.

Reply 48 of 52, by demonlg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
nztdm wrote on 2021-12-04, 00:36:
1) I am not sure sorry. […]
Show full quote
demonlg wrote on 2021-12-03, 16:07:
Thanks for fast response, sorry for my english, i'm italian, […]
Show full quote

Thanks

1) I am not sure sorry.

2) If it works, and the old floppy controller is removed, it might be fine.

3) XT-IDE card and XT-IDE BIOS are different things. XT-IDE BIOS is a BIOS Extension - it only replaces the HDD routines in the System BIOS. Use the card same as mine, and put an EPROM containing a correctly-configured XT-IDE BIOS Extension, in a ROM socket on a network card or a DoubleROM card.
https://www.xtideuniversalbios.org/binaries/
https://monotech.fwscart.com/DoubleROM_-_IDE_ … 4_19995208.aspx

For first point i will try to disable from startup disk the floppy and hdd in bios setings, but this operation is only for testing on my working 286, because the other one won't boot from any support available, and i don't have any chance to boot the original ps2/30 286 startup software. (but if i disable floppy on bios, and the controller ISA not have to work properly, i have mode to resetting bios state with external battery removed from DALLAS chip? ) I think so if i disable floppy and hdd on bios then i have to use external ISA MFM or IDE controller because the IRQ and DMA address are free...

For third point, yes i try to burn eprom for my ethernet card. Very thanks for link

Emanuel

Reply 49 of 52, by pipmastah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Necromancing this old topic, which I find very interesting as a PS/2 / IBM afficianado 😉

My Model 30 286 was very unstable as well when clocked at 12MHz and it took me some time to figure this out but mine runs super stable now at 12MHz with 80ns memory after I completely disabled the parity controller. This is easily done by cutting the 2 "PAREN" traces at the memory controller (VL82C102) and the VL82C104 data buffer IC. Both chips have internal pull down resistors so cutting these traces will pull the PAREN (PARity ENable) signal to ground which will disable parity checks. The parity logic on these boards is slow as dog sh!t and unable to keep up with that blazing 12MHz clock speed (probably caused by a 7400 series latch that cannot keep up) which results in false parity errors that occur randomly so I decided to delete it on my system 😉

Next step is enabling "fast mode" to get to 0 wait state read operations and then the planar will run at its fullest potential (VLSI states that 0 wait state reads is supported when 80ns memory is used). This may need some extra logic added to the board but I'll figure it out as this is one of the few IBM machines that have proper technical documentation for the (VLSI) chipset. After that I will put in a 40MHz 286 to 486 upgrade, a fast ISA videocard and maybe some extra memory. It's a bit of a challenge to build one of the fastest Model 30s that can "easily" run Doom and Windows 95 but I think I'm making some progress 😉 Getting the board itself and memory access times as fast as possible really is a must have for CPU upgrades like these!