First post, by SnipeUout
It's Turbo time!!
I remember back when I first saw DOS and Windows 3.0, it was strange because my dad at the time had Mac computers. I was shocked to find out that most PC's didn't have a GUI. I felt like they were really alien and really empty with little to offer. Yet I became quickly envious of the games. Mainly the flight simulators.
Now I am building my own dream early 90's PC. I am just starting to shop for parts and for now, all I can share is my dream specs.
First required parts.
1) A socket 3 board with CR2032 battery and 3V support. Other obvious requirements are turbo, MHz clock and lock feature with the mobo. VLB would be nice if I could find the cards, but I will be happy with a PCI board.
2) The targeted CPU is a Cyrix 5x86-GP100(133) if I can't find one, I will settle on an Intel DX4. I don't want the AMD as I have read it's not very flexible with declocking.
3) A desktop AT Case with all bells and whistles and PSU.
Secondary required parts.
1) 64 MB of fast ram.
2) A period correct VLB or PCI video card.
3) A period correct AWE or SB.
4) 1024K of 15ns cashe.
5) A SCSI hard drive.
6) 3.5 floppy and 2x CD-ROM
Just for fun.
1) A voodoo 1. I know it wont work well but it would be cool.
Retro Rig: PIII 1Ghz (SL4KL), P3B-F 1.04, Crucial 512Mb, Geforce4 TI4600, SATAII Raptor, AWE64 GOLD, STB Voodoo 2… TBC