VOGONS

Posts your Halloween/Octoberfest Builds

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 100, by shawnhell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TRICK OR TREAT!

Hello all, I felt this would be an appropriate first post..

I recently completed a gaming console 98SE build I consider (and call) my FRANKENSTEIN...

It's a Gateway NLX motherboard in an IBM cab and riser...

Attachments

Reply 41 of 100, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, I still have it and it still works.
But I ruined the AUREAL 8830 sound card so I need to replace it.
I am going to use a Sound Blaster Live since I have allot of these.
And I am going to use a TOS-link optical out port.

October in America:
We celebrate the Fall Harvest season.
The Store produce section is currently stocked with the Best of the Fruits and Vegetables of the season.
We Celebrate German tradition Octoberfest too but NOT so drastic. Just small beer tasting celebrations.
We celebrate the Start of the American Football season.
We Celebrate kids going back to School. Start of the School year.
We celebrate the end of Summer season and SALES on summer clearance items. BIG Discounts.
We celebrate the return of the rainy season. ( We need water in drought stricken American south-west )
We celebrate the start of the beginning of the holiday seasons.
We celebrate the ending of the baseball season and the beginning of the championship games.
We celebrate the Start of a NEW Year really, This is more like when the NEW year Starts in America.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-10-12, 15:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 100, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

R.I.P. Halloween build. It was working fine then started acting up and just died.
It's been sitting for a year and just died. The drives and DVD started acting up
And now everything is corrupt.

I will have to rebuild it.

But for now I still have my Meg-Aluminum Monsters working with Win98se and Voodoo-3-3000 cards.

They have Sound Blaster live ! Sound cards and paired with the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers they sound Awesome.
Very nice.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-10-05, 06:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 43 of 100, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: "ATI Radeon Devil Monster 3 Pro" but it says 256MB which made me go "what?"

What is the actual GPU model for this? Radeon 7000 only exists in 32MB and 64MB.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 44 of 100, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shawnhell wrote on 2021-10-01, 18:53:
TRICK OR TREAT! […]
Show full quote

TRICK OR TREAT!

I recently completed a gaming console 98SE build I consider (and call) my FRANKENSTEIN...

that's a pretty cool, consolified pc

Reply 46 of 100, by shawnhell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-10-05, 07:27:
shawnhell wrote on 2021-10-01, 18:53:
TRICK OR TREAT! […]
Show full quote

TRICK OR TREAT!

that's a pretty cool, consolified pc

Thank you!

Yes exactly (perfect description)

I was looking for a replacement for my Atari Jaguar, which I havent used in years.
As well as a failing DVD player.
Clearly space is a problem, a tower would simply not fit.
I avoided NLX builds for years, never even considered them.
I planned on making this an IBM, but my experience with it proved impossible.
Ibm has security measures that prevent bootup if they trigger, I believe it may be bad caps as well.
Tried two different Intellistation boards, neither started up reliably. Just not worth it.

Jabil Maverick 440BX NLX (Latest Gateway Bios)
IBM cab and riser
1000mhz Intel Pentium 3
768 MB Ram
WIN 98SE

Voodoo 3 3000 (Breakaway corner removed using Side Cutters (trying to break it off scared me))
to Fosmon VGA to composite adapter
Creative SB AWE 64 Gold directly to tv audio in
Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1 (with Ralink driver and software, not Linksys)
3com card
Stratitec USB 2.0 to front hub mounted in bay behind removable panel

Currently streaming SomaFM:Doomed - Halloween time only internet radio...

Attachments

Reply 47 of 100, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back in the day, when I found a IBM PIII computer for my boss to use XP on as I was transitioning from 98SE in 2003 thru 2006.

If you change the PIII CPU on particular IBM machines especially intellistations, you have to rerun the bios update. You heard me right. That due to TPM feature, other than that, bios settings can be changed without needing that disk except CPU.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 48 of 100, by shawnhell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-10-09, 02:43:

Back in the day, when I found a IBM PIII computer for my boss to use XP on as I was transitioning from 98SE in 2003 thru 2006.

If you change the PIII CPU on particular IBM machines especially intellistations, you have to rerun the bios update. You heard me right. That due to TPM feature, other than that, bios settings can be changed without needing that disk except CPU.

Cheers,

I had a similar experience with this one as well...

Upon acquiring, I tested to bios for functionality, then stripped cards for upgrade. After reading the pdf, I learned processor upgrades have special rules. A Pentium 2 requires one to change a mobo jumper to meet the processor speed. A Pentium 3 did not require this, however it did require a bios update for any changes in speed at all. Scenario would be, after switching out a processor the startup would halt with "unrecognized processor, update needed" or something... Surprisingly this was easy enough considering a bios update can be difficult to update from such an old machine (and IBM has changed hands since). IBM Lenovo still had a support page with an available bios update. Very impressive support!

Problems I could not defeat more stemmed from a sometimes will, sometimes won't startup. Like it would start successfully ever 3rd or so time...but not necessarily even then.

Greetings to Canada, looks like beautiful country ... Considering it on retirement...

Reply 49 of 100, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Giant 2,000 lbs. Pumpkins in Silicon Valley.
Before it was Silicon Valley the San Francisco Bay Area was fertile farmland covered with fruit tree orchards, vegetable fields, Grape vineyards and wineries.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-10-11, 13:44. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 50 of 100, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More photo

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-10-11, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51 of 100, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😲

Looks like a scene from SMB3, World 4.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 52 of 100, by shawnhell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-10-10, 12:21:

Giant Pumpkins in Silicon Valley.
Before it was Silicon Valley the San Francisco Bay Area was fertile farmland covered with fruit tree orchards, vegetable fields, Grape vineyards and wineries.

Quite a transformation looking at it today.

I used to make a trip through there every summer on my way to the Santa Cruz-Aptos-Capitola area for a little r&r. Like a walk through history just looking around.

Reply 53 of 100, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pumpkin Spice Latte topped with whip cream.

Attachments

Reply 54 of 100, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-10-11, 14:53:

Pumpkin Spice Latte topped with whip cream.

It's been confirmed that this concoction will indeed aid in gaming prowess😁😁😁😁

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 55 of 100, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Official Pumpkin Championship weigh-off website and result.
https://weighoff.miramarevents.com/results.html

2,191 lbs.

Attachments

Reply 57 of 100, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shawnhell wrote on 2021-10-12, 15:02:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-10-12, 14:44:

Official Pumpkin Championship weigh-off 2,191 lbs.

That's a lot of pumpkin pie! 🎃🥧 😋 🥧🎃

They said they sell these pumpkins and seeds to people who may want to grow their own giant pumpkins.
I heard Italy currently holds the record with 2,703 pounds.

Reply 58 of 100, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AI've got a build that's upsetting and viewer discretion is advised...

I got a Socket 478 build with PCI-e and DDR2 RAM. It's like an early socket 775 but worse in every way.

Then there is the cooler. I am passively cooling a Pentium 4 with a thermaltake Sonic Tower! And it's not as if I'm using an interesting S478 CPU, just a 2.4GHz Northwood. I could have just used a slow 775 P4.

Then there is how the heatsink is mounted to the CPU and bracket. It used the force of screws pressing against a flat bridge thing over the heatsink. The screws do not go into a screw hole. It was impossible to so up tightly without the bridge over the heatsink sliding around. Its also impossible to do up tight for the above reason and the baffling reason to require an Allen key in the enclosed space between the two heatsink towers when a screw driver would be able to screw in much easier. I'm getting nervous sweats thinking about the heatsink pinging off.

But at least I'm pairing it with a good GPU right? No I'm using an 8600GT because I hate myself.

The idea is I was going to have a Northwood Unleashed kind of build, with fast DDR2 RAM, a fast GPU and an SSD. But now I'm too scared to stand the PC upright.

Attachments

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 59 of 100, by shawnhell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-10-14, 16:36:

I'm getting nervous sweats thinking about the heatsink pinging off.

Is there a way to cross-secure the already existing assembled bracket down more by adding a few zip ties ? Really small ones?

I've been using them more lately myself. I used them to mount the fan on the Voodoo 3 in the picture I posted earlier.