VOGONS

First post, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am going to share the build, because it requires a bit of unusual tinkering.

Build aim:
To play DOS up to late Win95/98 games with maximum atmosphere and enjoyment factor on an upgraded 1985 IBM PC AT, using a flicker-free high-quality CRT monitor, M keyboard and first-generation MS mouse.

Build limitations:

-No ATX stuff allowed.
Must be a (baby) AT mobo.
-No SSD allowed.
Thus internal HDD must be fast, quiet and long-lived.
External HDDs must be attachable (U160+)
-Sound output must be digital (SPDIF) for both DOS and Windows.
Sound card must be PCI to avoid the ISA DMA performance bog.
-Case excludes many CPU options. Drive bay is where more modern mobos usually have their CPU/cooler combo.

Now the pics!

The "new" socket 370 Intel 810 mobo arrived yesterday from the former Soviet Union.
It is the only AT form factor mobo I was able to find that can take the 1400MHz Pentium 3 Tualatin without any additional contraptions like slockets, added voltage regulators etc, while running at full 133MHz FSB.

DSCN9390.jpg

The mobo.

DSCN9436.jpg

The included collection of slot shields was impressive.

But... ouch!

DSCN9392.jpg

The mobo turned out to be not really AT-compatible.
Where normally the screw for fixating the board goes, this board lacks the hole.
Instead there are posts for the soundcard/gameport and for COM 2.
Not good!
This has to be corrected somehow.

DSCN9395.jpg

Preparing for surgery.
(Pictures of the surgery will be shown only on explicit request 😀 )
After removal of the offending posts it looked this way:

DSCN9404.jpg

Much better!
But I was not willing to give up COM2, as the computer also must run Crosstalk (terminal emulator, console for beagleboard).

DSCN9406.jpg

So I attached a new header in a way so that the pins did no longer protrude from the underside of the PCB, instead there was a flat solder surface.
Using a connector as guide was helpful to keep fingers cool while soldering.
Without connector, it looked this way. Acceptable at least for me.

DSCN9408.jpg

But the board was dirty!
Sort of grime. It must have been either in a car workshop, or in a smokers' office.
I did not like the smell. So I decided that it has to take a bath in pure IPA.

DSCN9411.jpg

For better solvent effect, I warmed up the IPA to about 40 degs and then bathed and scrubbed the board thoroughly.
Perfectly clear before, the IPA was dirtily-brownish afterwards.

DSCN9412.jpg

Wow! So clean and shiny now!

DSCN9435.jpg

To avoid shorts, I put two layers of heatshrink tube over the screw post.

DSCN9443.jpg

BGA flexing is not recommendable.
So I added buffers to support the board.

DSCN9444.jpg

Even the holes' size of the mobo was wrong. Way too small.
So I even had to carve the plastics posts to make them fit.

DSCN9447.jpg

Phew!
Finally the mobo fitted.

DSCN9450.jpg

After that I threw in the cards.
From left to right:
-Generic S3 Trio64+ 2MB. (Just a provisory, because in this mobo the ATI Radeon 9250 I tried before somehow prevents the SCSI BIOS from starting. Will get a 4MB S3 graphics card soon to replace it)
-Terratec Soundcard MediaVision FM801 (or so), with Toslink output (for DOS gaming with SPDIF sound)
-D-Link gigabit ethernet card (Has drivers for DOS and MacOS 9 as well, curious testing this card)
-HDD controller

Now I am going to look through the DOS config, trying to get all important drivers in.

(To be continued with many new photos 😀 )

Last edited by retardware on 2019-03-10, 16:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think you can toss everything but the case, and then call it an IBM 5170.
...and then in the pictures you didn't even show the case!

Cool board though.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 5, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I don't think you can toss everything but the case, and then call it an IBM 5170.
...and then in the pictures you didn't even show the case!

Good point!
When I saved the computer from the scrapyard 20 years ago, it was still complete, with giant 80286 mobo and MFM HDD. Back then I didn't bother for the old cruft inside, threw them away except for the PSU, put in a Pentium 233 board and used it as secondary PC.
From the outside it still looks quite original.
So I'll change the thread title a bit to reflect this 😀

Will show full photos later when all parts arrived (still waiting for graphics card and CRT monitor) and it is completely installed, configured and running fine.

But before this there are still some things/subprojects to be done which will yield some nice photos.
-Cleaning the PSU (need to look into it anyways, didn't open it for two decades).
-Fine-adjusting the drive bays (I am happy now that I did not throw away these AT case drive rails... but most of them are cloned and existed in many slightly different variations, so you have to pick one that matches best, and sometimes even to modify that)
-Making front panel cable extensions (the original cables are very short)
-Implementing a new reset button (the old one I glued at the back of the case has fallen off)

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Build limitations:
-No ATX stuff allowed.
Must be a (baby) AT mobo.

So it follows the AT specs, at least.
Technically, it's still an "AT class" computer like 386/486-es also were, even though not exactly a 286 machine. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's pretty neat, but why no SSD? Modern hard disks will be far faster and quieter than anything available at the time, so I'd be inclined to stick in an SSD.

I presume the HDD controller is to get UDMA133 rather than UDMA100/66 inbuilt to the board?

Reply 5 of 5, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had to lay back the build project for almost three weeks because I had to buy the intended Intel Pro/1000 GT.
Amazingly the first two sellers packed the card into highly static bubble foil, no wonder they arrived DOA.
The third seller packaged the card appropriately antistatically, so I finally got a working NIC.

Jo22 wrote:

Technically, it's still an "AT class" computer ... 😉

Exactly 😉
Even if the mobo has been manufactured in 2002 according to datecodes 😀

ynari wrote:

... but why no SSD? Modern hard disks will be far faster and quieter than anything available at the time, so I'd be inclined to stick in an SSD.

I presume the HDD controller is to get UDMA133 rather than UDMA100/66 inbuilt to the board?

Actually the "HDD controller" is an Adaptec ASC-29320N host adapter.
For some reason it has the 29160 BIOS v2.57 on the ROM. I will still have to find the correct BIOS for 29320N to flash.
So the drives for now are connected with Ultra160 SCSI only.

I use internally in all my retro computers (this one, the ISA 486 and the G3 beige tower Mac) the Fujitsu 15k 73GB U320 SCSI MAX/MAU 3073NC drive.

For a number of reasons:

- 50% faster than the fastest SATA spinning drives (the 10k WD [Veloci]Raptor series)
- very quiet compared to most other SCSI and SATA drives (no matter their speed)
- they pull the computers' current consumption high enough to guarantee clean working of the AT class power supplies, reducing the voltages deviation of the +5V and +12v lines to a few millivolts, way below tolerances
- 8MB cache, to save a lot of memory by making usage of smartdrv.exe unnecessary
- enterprise grade, i.e. errors get reported instead of unlimited retries like with consumer grade drives
- MTBF 1.25 million hours, much more than the 300 thousand hours common with consumer grade drives back then
- guaranteed continuous minimum physical read throughput rate is 147MB/sec
- way cheaper than SSD and no worries about trimming etc
- no need to bother with IDE peculiarities
- just one drive type, and having spares available eases maintenance
- still some sort of period-correctness 😀

As I bought a 6-pc lot of these drives, all manufactured in 2005, from a commercial refurbisher who took them from Fujitsu servers, they were relatively new and cheap (at least compared to the WD Raptors). And it is good to have spares.

I just feel better with enterprise grade drives that probably have been operated and handled appropriately and only by professionals.
Their life expectancy is probably way better that those of random consumer drives that possibly have been used/handled/stored inadequately by amateurs.

Installing a 3.5" disk drive into an IBM 5170 AT - a real challenge!

As the AT has no 3.5" rails, the drive must be put into a special 5.25" FH adapter, which ensures appropriate cooling.

DSCN9496.jpg

DSCN9497.jpg

Note the plastics AT rails in the lower half of the adapter.

DSCN9498.jpg

Good air circulation is guaranteed by a high quality Papst 0.35 watts fan.
It runs very quiet in spite of permanently being at full power.

DSCN9499.jpg

Drive/adapter put into the case, before tightening up.

DSCN9500.jpg

The same after tightening up. The bracket also fixates the DVD drive.

DSCN9503.jpg

Connecting the case grounding wire to the drive [adapter] should never be forgotten, as omitting this can cause strange problems.

You see, properly upgrading an IBM AT to a somewhat "modern" HDD is some effort 😀

(to be continued)