VOGONS

First post, by edumoes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had a few of retro PCs in a rack, so the idea it's to share all files/iso/utils needed from a central location. But, using old machine era server. I want to share to Windows / Pure DOS.
Some days ago i've brought 3 siemens primergy 351 servers for like US$ 50. Only one of them boot/post, other was SCO unix installed, and the last one it's used for parts only.
All three servers comes with Floppys, NEC SCSI Cdrom, and Tandberg SCSI tape backup unit.
General specs of servers:
Up to 2 - Socket 5/7 processors, at 200mhz.
512MB memory.
4 PCI (1 shared)
4 EISA slots (1 shared)
PS2 Mouse/Keyboard. Integrated video, serial, parallel, IDE & floppy controller.

Let's start:
All three servers:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
371.79 KiB
Views
File comment
3 servers
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Close Up:

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
180.79 KiB
Views
File comment
close up
File license

First "great" surprise. These 5 1/4 floppys are high density. I think 99% of all HD drives that i've saw are non-black.

5.JPG
Filename
5.JPG
File size
138.88 KiB
Views
File comment
Teac FDR-55GFR black
File license

Well… 1 Adaptec 2940UW for devices, 1 Adaptec 2944 for externals HVD devices. And 1 Mylex EISA controller (used for connecting bulk of printers). And Intel PCI 10 pro ethernet adapter.

6.JPG
Filename
6.JPG
File size
346.62 KiB
Views
File comment
Inside before clean.
File license

I've started with the one that boots, SCSI disk are really loud (you know..clack..clack..). So for now, i'm going to use an old 8gb IDE.
Windows Nt4 it's the best option, but Windows 2000 will work fine with +128mb and dual CPU.

Reply 1 of 7, by edumoes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First boot with memory and 2 CPU installed:
Errors.. date & time not set, and EISA configuration error. Replaced CR2032, but EISA error still showing up. (Everytime that the server detects new/removed hardware or CMOS reset, they ask for ECU. (Eisa configuration utility, is a boot disk to set some configurations regarding...well...EISA slots.. ). After Two days of search for the boot disk utility., i've found it on Fujitsu Website (new owner of servers). I've just run the boot disk, check options, bla bla, save. And reboot.

7.JPG
Filename
7.JPG
File size
190.16 KiB
Views
File comment
boot
File license

After 5 hours of fightning, replaced EDO memorys, turned off EDO detect, etc, i've managed to install Windows 2000 Server... BUT, i forgot to change a CPU option in bios (CPU APIC or MPS mode). And Windows only detect one cpu…, so, reinstall again…and perfect.

8.JPG
Filename
8.JPG
File size
551.52 KiB
Views
File comment
Windows info
File license
9.JPG
Filename
9.JPG
File size
521.99 KiB
Views
File comment
Cleaning
File license

Going to finish cleaning today and post final build. Thanks for reading.

Reply 3 of 7, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for this post. It's a great idea to take period correctness to the next level by adding the contemporary servers.

I have a Siemens Nixdorf dual socket 5 mainboard which I presume also come from Primergy servers. It has PCI, ISA and EISA slots.

I never was able to get it working, although current is going through it, as far as I can tell. It came with a extra board to (supposedly) convert the 5V PCI to 3,3V.

siemensDualS5_1200.jpg
Filename
siemensDualS5_1200.jpg
File size
275.99 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I approve of this!!!
If your just using it as a file server for ISO's etc I prefer NT4 as it's install size is much smaller then Win2k. I use my Compaq Prolient 1600 for the exact same thing with that OS.
But Win2k is definitely more "refined"

Another use I'll get around to doing one of these days is installing retro OS's over the network, this post talks about 2003 but is a good starting point.
Retro game/storage/backup server for older systems

But the world needs more duel CPU retro servers!

Reply 5 of 7, by edumoes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:

So that's a system from ca. 1997 and it has EISA slots? That must be rare.

The motherboard looks standard ATX, is that right?

Sorry for the delay.
Well, there's 2 at alike connector from the power supply, that provides 5v and 12v. location 2
Then there's a 5v cable between location 3 and 15. So this provide 5v to the Vrm, to provide 3v to cpu.
And in location 14, lower right it says 12v, 5v, and 3v. And the connector seems to be atx, but I didn't find if is atx compatible or proprietary.

_20191003_190620.JPG
Filename
_20191003_190620.JPG
File size
164.79 KiB
Views
File comment
Pdf
File license
Last edited by edumoes on 2019-10-03, 22:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by edumoes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
flupke11 wrote:
Thank you for this post. It's a great idea to take period correctness to the next level by adding the contemporary servers. […]
Show full quote

Thank you for this post. It's a great idea to take period correctness to the next level by adding the contemporary servers.

I have a Siemens Nixdorf dual socket 5 mainboard which I presume also come from Primergy servers. It has PCI, ISA and EISA slots.

I never was able to get it working, although current is going through it, as far as I can tell. It came with a extra board to (supposedly) convert the 5V PCI to 3,3V.

The attachment siemensDualS5_1200.jpg is no longer available

Very nice motherboard, seems to be a high end server. Check this one, is not for sale but Ive took some pictures, it's primergy 500

IMG-20191003-WA0030.jpg
Filename
IMG-20191003-WA0030.jpg
File size
113.37 KiB
Views
File comment
Primergy 500 and my hand
File license
IMG-20191003-WA0031.jpg
Filename
IMG-20191003-WA0031.jpg
File size
128.65 KiB
Views
File comment
Primergy 500 motherboard
File license

Reply 7 of 7, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flupke11 wrote:
Thank you for this post. It's a great idea to take period correctness to the next level by adding the contemporary servers. […]
Show full quote

siemensDualS5_1200.jpg

The board pictured looks very much like from a PCD-5T. I own two of these myself. Its an EISA boards with intel NX chipset, limited to Socket 5 Pentiums without MMX.
eisapc