VOGONS

First post, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After seeing x0zm_ make a thread about his water cooled build Id thought Id do the same. Wile I will not be making custom blocks for this build I will be doing alot of case modding and cool stuff Id like to share.

I'm building the system mostly to play older/early 3d games that do not fair all to well on newer systems along with games that use EAX.

Project Hardware & Specs

Case: ANTEC SX635.
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Motherboard: Abit KG7-Raid.
Video Card: FX5950+voodoo2 sli. [need to buy them still]
Sound Card: Sound blaster audigy 2 zs.
RAM: 512mb DDR400.
HDD: 2 New old stock 40gb WD IDE drives in raid 0.
FDD: TBD
ODD: DVD-Ram drive.
PSU: TBD

Cooling:
CPU Block: Koolance CPU-300.
GPU Block: Koolance GPU-180.
Chipset Block: Koolance GPU-180.
Pump: TBD
Reservoir: TBD
Radiator: TBD. I have a few but I may but a different one.

Plans and ideas
The two NOS hard drives will be used for the OS and most games. I'll find a bigger drive for ISO images, backups and latter games that take up alot of space.
I will need to pick a radiator to use, I have a handful of 92mm and 120mm radiator, but the 120mm radiators I have are all aluminum and the 92mm are fairly thick and too new for the build.
I'll still need to find a pair of Voodoo2's and a fx5950 for the system, same for a PSU, pump and reservoir.
I'll be modifying the case, I want to add a side window and maybe replace the 80mm fans with 92mm fans.

Last edited by dan86 on 2019-11-26, 17:29. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reserved for work log.

11-20-19
Installed the CPU, block and NorthBridge water block on the Abit KG7 board.

12-2-19
I received the case, it had a low end 478 system with a matx Asus board inside it. I ended up tossing the crap old fans, some cables and the CPU. I'll strip the motherboard for parts, scrap or reuse the heatsinks and scrap failgate IDE hard drive.
It had a nice 300w SPI PSU, Asus optic drive, FDD that I'll be keeping if they work. The PSU and FDD drive will be used for the build if they work.

Last edited by dan86 on 2019-12-03, 14:58. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote:

It is a mobile 2400+ CPU ?

Do you want to overclock after the build is finished?

No its not a mobile cpu.

It will be overclocked. But ill likely keep it at stock speed most of the time. If I can find one I’ll upgrade the cpu to a 266fsb Barton.

Last edited by dan86 on 2019-12-02, 16:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, this is really nice on this Abit board: FSB CPU:SDRAM:PCI rate feature

https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/abitkg7raid/2.htm

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 9 of 10, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
melbar wrote:

Oh, this is really nice on this Abit board: FSB CPU:SDRAM:PCI rate feature

https://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/abitkg7raid/2.htm

The Abit board is really a nice one. I only wished it supported a higher FSB and AGP 8x.