VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally am getting around to messing with this fancy eval board.

The SOC is a ST Microelectronics STPC Consumer-II x86 chip that is specced to run at up to 133Mhz.
Supposedly is is "5th gen x86" according to ST, but it doesn't look like it supports anything Pentium-wise although I did find reference to it supporting some of the extra stuff that the Cyrix 5x86 supports.

It supports up to 128MB SDRAM at 100Mhz. The SDRAM/onboard video clock can be configured from 45Mhz to 100Mhz within the BIOS although I am unsure if it actually adjusts the SDRAM clock or not. Testing will tell.
If using a single 128MB stick, it has to be double sided to work properly.
The RAM used for the video can be up to 4MB and the onboard video can also be disabled.

The mouting holes are standard ATX so no problems mounting it in a case which is very helpful.

Rear I/O has:
s-video, composite, and VGA out
composite video in
serial
PS/2 keyboard and mouse

The plug on the side of the board is SCART which I will never use.

STPC Consumer-II eval.jpg
Filename
STPC Consumer-II eval.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
back_io.jpg
Filename
back_io.jpg
File size
583.14 KiB
Views
File license
switches.jpg
Filename
switches.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

Looks like PCI clock can be set up to 1/2 the bus speed, so 50Mhz max IF there are no undocumented jumper settings that go over 100Mhz bus speed.

I will be testing the switches that have to do with the bus speed as there are a lot of undocumented switch position settings.

One strange thing I noticed is that the datasheet says that you only have 2 different options for running the CPU at 133Mhz.
66Mhz HCLK /MCLK with the 2x multiplier and 66Mhz HCLK /100Mhz MCLK with the 2x multiplier.
When I received the board, it was set to 100Mhz HCLK with the 2x multiplier. It booted up just fine. I am wondering if this thing works at 200Mhz. That would be a treat.
Edit: I was looking at it wrong. It was running at 1x so 100Mhz HCLK and 100Mhz CPU. /edit

I was able to find the drivers through a lot of searching and grabbing them out of a driver package from an SBC that uses the same SOC.
Only thing it needs other than the default windows drivers are video drivers and drivers for the floppy controller.

Filename
STPC Consumer II.zip
File size
524.31 KiB
Downloads
65 downloads
File license

Here is the datasheet and reference schematics:

Filename
STPC Consumer II_datasheet_and_reference_schematics.zip
File size
1.65 MiB
Downloads
62 downloads
File license

I will have to upload the programming manual and link it as it is too large to attach here.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2019-12-27, 21:19. Edited 4 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is where I will place some initial benchmarks:
This is the lowest speed I am seeing in Speedsys with documented settings.
60Mhz bus speed
60Mhz CPU
Disabled L1 cache (no L2 cache)
45Mhz RAM at 3-3-3
30Mhz PCI (which doesn't affect this test at all from what I can tell)
Note: Speedsys doesn't save the actual graph properly, and instead just does straight lines.

60MHZ.jpg
Filename
60MHZ.jpg
File size
123.74 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
60MHZ-2.jpg
Filename
60MHZ-2.jpg
File size
50.28 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2019-12-27, 21:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking forward to see what this puppy can do! Keep us posted!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 11, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Finally am getting around to messing with this fancy eval board.

Can you test two things please?
With my STPC Elite 133 (very similar chipset i think) at least two issues annoying me:
1. All tested SB-compatibles doesn't work normally on DMA 1 and 5.
With these DMA some games doesn't play PCM, some just lockups.
8-bit DMA 0, 3 and 16-bit DMA 6, 7 works.
2. Almost all Watt-32 based networking DOS tools lockups. Links browser DOS port in example. Any version. Late Lynx, cURL, recent Wget ports lockups too.
Only very old versions (prior to 2002) of these Watt-32 based tools works - Arachne browser (hopefully all versions), early Wget ports and etc.

Reply 8 of 11, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All the STPC were based on the 5x86, that are improved 486 core.

I designed the STPC Industrial debug and Evaluation boards.
This is my colleague "Jean Michel" Who did the Elite/Consumer 2 Boards.
My Friend Fabrice worked on windows drivers. (He was my friend when we was at school)
Jean michel and Fabrice now work on STM32 Chips, for application engineer and Audio software code.

Reply 9 of 11, by JUCED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FreddyV wrote on 2023-02-03, 11:21:
All the STPC were based on the 5x86, that are improved 486 core. […]
Show full quote

My Friend Fabrice worked on windows drivers. (He was my friend when we was at school)
Jean michel and Fabrice now work on STM32 Chips, for application engineer and Audio software code.

Hello Freddy, i'm working on a particular device based on the STPC Elite and i need some info about keyboard and mouse support. Can you help me? Do you have an e-mail address? Thanks!

Reply 10 of 11, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JUCED wrote on 2023-12-25, 10:38:
FreddyV wrote on 2023-02-03, 11:21:
All the STPC were based on the 5x86, that are improved 486 core. […]
Show full quote

Hello Freddy, i'm working on a particular device based on the STPC Elite and i need some info about keyboard and mouse support. Can you help me? Do you have an e-mail address? Thanks!

Hi,

The STPC KB/Mouse is an emulation of a standard PS/2 One, using no microcontroller.
I did not keep any doc from that time, so I am quire sure I can't help.

Reply 11 of 11, by JUCED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it. I have an embedded STPC Elite board which seems to lack mouse and keyboard support (there is no keyboard controller or Super I/O chip, but there is a CPLD Xilinx which i'm not sure if it does something for the keyboard support). I would like to add a PS/2 connector to the board. Is it possible using a keyboard interface (like a 8255) or i need to implement the Super I/O?