VOGONS

First post, by barleyguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

Hi. I'm new to the board, but have been building computers since 1990. I did it as a full time job for 5 years, 1990-1993 and 1997-1998. I averaged about 3 a week during that time, and a few a year other years. So I'm probably in the 800 machines range as far as builds.

I've normally built new machines, or "new at the time" at this point. But lately I was feeling like building a machine, but don't really need a better one or have any friends looking for one. And I've been watching too much Phil's Computer Lab and LGR. So I was thinking I'd start building retro machines.

I've got two projects in flight right now. One is a machine I'm building from scratch, mostly from parts I already have. That will be an Athlon XP 3000+ with a Radeon 9600.

The other thing that's going is that I pulled a machine I built in 1997 out of the top shelf of a closet. Amazingly, it passed POST on the first try, except for a dead battery. Also, it looks physically fine, including the caps looking good. The specs on it are:

Shuttle HOT-557 Socket 7 Motherboard (Intel VX chipset)
IBM Cyrix 6x86 PR200 (currently set to PR166 because this board wasn't stable at 75 Mhz)
64 MB EDO DRAM
ATI 3D Rage Pro 8MB (XPert@Work retail)
Opti OPL3 Surround Sound card
NEC 252 4-Disc CD changer
AT Mini Tower and 230 watt AT power supply

I don't know if the CMOS battery is permadead or whether it's chargable. It's a Dallas CMOS chip soldered to the board, so that may be a challenge. If the machine will run though, I don't really mind going into the BIOS each time I boot.

I'm thinking about throwing an 8.4 GB hard drive in it, and a floppy emulator, and putting DOS 7.1 on it. Just for fun.

Anyhow, might be hanging out here a bit.

Cheers,

Harley.

Reply 1 of 14, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The big tall Dallas module? It has a primary cell encapsulated within the epoxy. It's dead. You can hack it to bits and make a monstrosity with a coin cell holder on top of it so you can maintain it when the cell runs flat every decade or so. Or, there are DIY replacements available that look a little nicer, but cost more than a trip to the garage. Or, you can buy new replacements -- the part number has an extra digit but is otherwise a drop-in replacement. ("Not always!" Fine. Mostly a drop-in replacement.) Either way, you need to be comfortable soldering on a motherboard. Through-hole pins can be a bear if you're not properly equipped and at least a little experienced.

Other than that, it's a perfect retro box. Congrats! Grab some glamour shots for us voyeurs. 😀

Reply 2 of 14, by barleyguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some pictures, as requested.

IMG_20200224_203247.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200224_203247.jpg
File size
758.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20200224_202438.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200224_202438.jpg
File size
885.07 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20200224_202508.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200224_202508.jpg
File size
838.88 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20200224_202450.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200224_202450.jpg
File size
770.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Cheers,

Harley.

Reply 3 of 14, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fantastic PC, it shares a lot of similarities with my 1997 OS/2 Build 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 14, by barleyguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just an upodate:

I got the hard drive installed today. I also had to buy a PS/2 to AT keyboard converter, as it seems like I don't have any AT keyboards. I probably do, but don't know where they are hiding.

Anyhow, it turns out it won't boot from CD-ROM with the CMOS battery dead. It is too old to have a boot menu, and the battery dead error resets the boot order. So I either have to fix the CMOS battery to get it to boot, or boot it from floppy, and then go to the CD-ROM and run setup.

So it's turning into an adventure.

Also, the power supply fan is really noisy. I don't think it's defective; I just think that power supplies have gotten way quieter in the last 20 years and I've gotten spoiled.

I will probably boot to floppy and get Windows 98 installed, but may not go much further with this one in the short term. I've got all the parts for a Socket A ATX build, so will likely move that up to first priority, and make that the Windows 98 machine.

Cheers,

Harley.

Reply 6 of 14, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
barleyguy wrote on 2020-02-28, 03:27:

Also, the power supply fan is really noisy. I don't think it's defective; I just think that power supplies have gotten way quieter in the last 20 years and I've gotten spoiled.

Yes. I refurbish every P4-era and older PSU that comes through my door with new caps and a new fan. IIRC, I use a Qualtek fan I get from Digikey. It's not quite as silent as the newest gen PSUs that throttle the fan speed based on temp, but it's a LOT better than stock and still provides decent air flow.

On the topic of air flow, do remember those old PSUs were part of the cooling system of the entire PC. After going with a slower, quieter fan, a couple of my builds could probably use a low-speed intake / exhaust fan pair to share the burden of cooling the guts. My Pentium II for example puts out warm air from the PSU. Not quite hot, just... warm.

Reply 7 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the CPU a 6x86 or 6x86/L? The non-L version of the 200+ was a current hog and the VRMs on most boards of the period weren't up to the job.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 14, by barleyguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-02-29, 03:01:

Is the CPU a 6x86 or 6x86/L? The non-L version of the 200+ was a current hog and the VRMs on most boards of the period weren't up to the job.

Not sure. I got it in early 1997 and can't remember. Here's a picture of the bottom of the chip (the top has a fan stuck to it)

IMG_20200228_221443.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200228_221443.jpg
File size
856.57 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

EDIT: From searching that model number, I think it's the original, IBM 6x86 PR200. I remember it was a 75x2 version, and I tried it at 75x2 but couldn't get it stable so downclocked it to 66x2.

The board handles it fine though (at 66 Mhz at least). This isn't a new build. I ran this for a couple years (1997 to 1999) and then built a different machine with a K6-III 450.

Another edit: According to CPU world, the original came out in May of 1997. I think I might have got this on release day. So it's definitely the original.

Last edited by barleyguy on 2020-02-29, 05:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

75MHz generally wasn't a problem for VX boards, and Shuttle made half decent ones. I suspect if you upgraded the VRMs you could get the 6x86 going at 150MHz.

Reply 10 of 14, by barleyguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-02-29, 05:55:

75MHz generally wasn't a problem for VX boards, and Shuttle made half decent ones. I suspect if you upgraded the VRMs you could get the 6x86 going at 150MHz.

Is that a solder job?

Also, would a Pentium MMX 200 be faster than the Cyrix at PR200?

I'm guessing it would be faster in floating point but slower in integer?

Reply 11 of 14, by Flanker27S

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man, that looks like condensated childhood to me, I still remember playing Aces over Europe and Total Annihilation on such a beast, and seeing my father making sure to have both a CD and a floppy disk player on every build ! And yeah, I think it'd be better to install Windows 95 on it, but if you already have the floppies to install Win98, then it's better to do that.

Reply 12 of 14, by barleyguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Flanker27S wrote on 2020-02-29, 11:40:

Man, that looks like condensated childhood to me, I still remember playing Aces over Europe and Total Annihilation on such a beast, and seeing my father making sure to have both a CD and a floppy disk player on every build ! And yeah, I think it'd be better to install Windows 95 on it, but if you already have the floppies to install Win98, then it's better to do that.

I'll actually consider putting Windows 95 on this. (After I test it with Windows 98.) I have at least one real copy of it. I think I have a stack of "Windows 95 Companion" disks, which is what they often gave people with their license card instead of an actual setup disk.

I also think I have "Windows 97 Beta". Microsoft was handing them out at trade shows in 1997. It was definitely beta quality, but it's an interesting historical relic.

Also, I ordered a Pentium 200 MMX. I'm going to try that out as well.

Reply 13 of 14, by barleyguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, something completely silly. I had two other AT computers in my closet. Took the top off one, and it's ALSO a Cyrix 6x86 PR200, and it's on a newer version of the Shuttle HOT-557 motherboard. No video card in this one, but it does have a SB16 card.

IMG_20200301_204052.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200301_204052.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The third one is also socket 7, just an FIC PA-2007 Via chipset motherboard.

Funny that I have 2 almost identical computers. I think the second one I built for my brother, and ended up with it somehow. Don't remember where I got the PA-2007 from.

So question for people who have done retro motherboards more recently than me... what would you choose, HOT-557 1.0, HOT-557 1.32, or PA-2007?

Oh, and Opti OPL3 clone or SB16 SCSI?

EDIT: Oh, the PA-2007 has a coin CMOS battery. That might make it the winner for ease of use, because I can get good CMOS without chopping up the Dallas module.

Reply 14 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could be wrong, but I think the PA-2007 has a VIA chipset that supports the burst mode of the Cyrix 6x86 chips. Still, Intel VX probably has a better PCI implentation. You'll just have to try both and see which one you like better. Probably the rev 1.0 of HOT-557 should not be considered since you have a later revision of the same board.

I think in general the SB16 is the better card, but it really depends on which OPTi card you have. There were some crappy budget ones, but the Turtle Beach Tropez is an example of a good card that uses the OPTi chip. The SB16 is going to have pretty solid compatibility, but since it's SCSi it's probably a CT1770 which is a bit noisy. That's only going to be a problem if you're hooking into an amplifier though.