VOGONS

First post, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has been a few months now since I put together this build, so I thougt I'd start sharing a few specs and pictures.
Whenever I find some time I will continue sharing my other builds as well.

Hardware used:

• Tyan Trinity 100AT (S1590S) mainboard with VIA MVP3 chipset with the patched "Steunebrink BIOS"
  • AMD K6-2+ (!) 550 MHz CPU, overclocked to 600 MHz, 2.1V VCore (default is 2.0V)
  • 384 MB SD-RAM (3x 128 MB)
  • 3dfx Voodoo 3 3500 TV AGP graphics card
  • Creative Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold
  • Terratec DMX XFire 1024 PCI sound card
  • 3com Ethernet card
  • Not sure about what HDD and ODD I put in, will edit this later
  • IOmega Zip 100 IDE drive

It's running Windows 98 SE obviously. For DOS titles I boot directly to DOS via customized config.sys and autoexec.bat configurations (no separate installation).
A very stable and enjoyable build. I am not quite happy with how the ribbon cables are cramped between the V3 and the PSU, but there's not much I can do about it. The term "cable management" wasn't invented back in the day. The Voodoo has a fan mounted to the heatsink for active cooling, which I hope should be sufficient.

Pictures:

IMG_5785.jpg
Filename
IMG_5785.jpg
File size
93.61 KiB
Views
File comment
Front
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_5787.jpg
Filename
IMG_5787.jpg
File size
131.3 KiB
Views
File comment
Back
File license
IMG_5789.JPG
Filename
IMG_5789.JPG
File size
353.63 KiB
Views
File comment
Side 1
File license
IMG_5790.JPG
Filename
IMG_5790.JPG
File size
437.23 KiB
Views
File comment
Side 2
File license

My retro computers

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of those boards, that I was planning on using. For whatever reason my motherboard doesn't like pci hdd controller cards. It doesn't mater if it is IDE, SATA or SCSI, it doesn't like option roms and thus it wont initialize the hdds attached to them 9/10 times.

Reply 2 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always get rounded IDE and even floppy cables to fix the ribbon cable mess, but your right I'd just call it period correct cable management, close the case and call it done!

Reply 3 of 5, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended up with the same problem as you with regards to cable management in my build that uses this same motherboard. I really like the motherboard, but I decided that as long as I was using a baby AT case, that using the AGP slot was maybe not the best idea due to how all the ribbon cables plug in at the top just above that slot and would therefore be resting on a probably warm graphics card. Maybe overthinking it a bit, but that idea didn't sit nicely with me.

Nice build by the way, I really like it!

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 4 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

gex85> Any crashes at 600 MHz? Would you classify it as stable? Is the K6-3+ stable at 600 MHz?

I have the Tyan Trinity ATX S1598C2 setup with a Cyrix MII-466GP and am using a Promise Ultra133 IDE bus master card without issue. It looks similar to this board, but perhaps different enough?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 5, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-03-17, 13:14:

You can always get rounded IDE and even floppy cables to fix the ribbon cable mess, but your right I'd just call it period correct cable management, close the case and call it done!

That's what I thougt, too. I have some rounded cables in stock, at least for IDE, and of course I can always "round" the other cables as well. But cable management just wasn't a thing back then, so I'll leave it as it is.

Gered wrote on 2020-03-18, 12:40:

I ended up with the same problem as you with regards to cable management in my build that uses this same motherboard. I really like the motherboard, but I decided that as long as I was using a baby AT case, that using the AGP slot was maybe not the best idea due to how all the ribbon cables plug in at the top just above that slot and would therefore be resting on a probably warm graphics card. Maybe overthinking it a bit, but that idea didn't sit nicely with me.

Nice build by the way, I really like it!

Thank you! Yours is a very similar (and clean looking) looking build indeed, but I can't compete with the GUS 😉
And I really wanted to use the V3 and this board and this case, so I didn't have any other options than cramping the cables in there.

feipoa wrote on 2020-03-19, 04:05:

gex85> Any crashes at 600 MHz? Would you classify it as stable? Is the K6-3+ stable at 600 MHz?

I have the Tyan Trinity ATX S1598C2 setup with a Cyrix MII-466GP and am using a Promise Ultra133 IDE bus master card without issue. It looks similar to this board, but perhaps different enough?

No crashes at all, even under high load. Much to my own surprise, it really proved to be rock stable. I can only speak for the K6-2+ though, since I don't own a K6-3+.
If it became unstable, I could probably further raise the VCore by 0.1 or 0.2V.

My retro computers