VOGONS

First post, by ioannis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there !

I love building small computers and especially if they serve a specific purpose. I've been looking around for a long time to find a cpu equivalent for the period of 2001-2005 , running WinXP that could serve as a gaming retro PC but in mini ITX... and I think I found it!

This is KONTRON 886LCD-M/mITX.

zgn0ngD.png

I also got an Asus 6800 V9999 128MB AGP on it currently, I kinda like it- a bit noisy (can by adjusted by ATITool when it doesn't crash) but it benches really well I believe!

rCStpQY.png

Now I've been looking into miniITX cases to house this. If I can't find one... I might just build one- I've been learning parametric design and 3d printing, so hopefully ... one day.

I'm also looking into using a FLEX ATX PSU or a Pico-PSU if it can handle the 6800 AGP. The motherboard manual says that it uses ~37W on full load on a similar configuration (minus the 6800 ofc).
Does anyone know how I could measure the wattage of this thing in full load? Will a normal plug-in wattage meter work ok for this?

Additionally, I'm considering on how to capitalize on the fact it also has a PCI slot 😀
I'm torn between a Sound Blaster card for the Joypad port / midi support , or an older GPU to make this also a DOS retro machine- what do you think peeps?

Thank you for this great resource you've built here, and your time 😉

Oops, forgot to mention, this sports an Intel Pentium M at 1.8Ghz, 512MB RAM currently and a 4GB CF card. But the manual says the RAM goes up to 1GB so I'm also looking into upgrading that!

#Another edit!
Forgot to say how stoked I am that I can output to HDMI using a DVI adapter! Couldn't believe it. It also runs 1920x1080 just fine! At 72hz to boot! It feels like a good balance between old and new.

Reply 2 of 3, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great boards, these kontrons. I came across a nephew of your board, the 986LCD-M/mITX.

986LCD-M.JPG
Filename
986LCD-M.JPG
File size
305.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It has an ULV 1.06/1M/533 cpu which turns out (according to Speedsys, at least) to be rougly equivalent to a Tualatin 1,4/512/133 with a score of 1558.
Unfortunately, I can't upgrade my CPU.

I'm also on the lookout for a tiny mITX case to put this in, as a conveniently small Win98SE system. I'll call it the Swissbit, as bioth the ram (2*512 DDR PC5300) as the CF (2GB) are from that company.

Have fun with your system, I'm following this thread for inspiration 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by ioannis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh nice! I think for a Win98SE machine I'm going towards the MicroATX route, already spotted a good motherboard for it- and probably a good case.
I have a case in mind for this too but haven't decided yet. For now I'm waiting on a new CF card , a 1GB memory, and a SB Live 5.1 ! 😀